Blohm's 1/24 Airfix Spitfire

Finish off those kits which are stalled on the workbench, languishing on the sidelines, or lurking on The Shelf of Doom.
Runs 1st to 30th November
GB Leaders are Dazzled and AndrewR
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Blohm's 1/24 Airfix Spitfire

Post by ShaunW »

Make it have it Blohm, that's good progress you've made so far. This old Superkit hails from the days when manufacturers thought it a great idea to have "working" features such as removable panels to reveal the engine. Alas, IMHO, the moulding technology of the time didn't quite live up to the marketing department's expectations and poor fit is often the result. I've never had a go at the FW-190 Superkit which, IIRC, was the last of the line until the recent Mosquito. I did have a go at the Hurricane though in my younger days and that is a much better kit than the Spitfire.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

This is certainly a titanic struggle but it's starting to become the impressive beast that Airfix intended. You're not giving it a chance to fight back 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

ShaunW wrote:Make it have it Blohm, that's good progress you've made so far. This old Superkit hails from the days when manufacturers thought it a great idea to have "working" features such as removable panels to reveal the engine. Alas, IMHO, the moulding technology of the time didn't quite live up to the marketing department's expectations and poor fit is often the result. I've never had a go at the FW-190 Superkit which, IIRC, was the last of the line until the recent Mosquito. I did have a go at the Hurricane though in my younger days and that is a much better kit than the Spitfire.

I completely know what you are on about. If there is one thing I have hated about older Airfix kits, it is the seperate tail fins and the ailerons and roller-ons on a kit which have 2 small clips which if done right, makes it move up and down. While for kids in the 1970s-1980s, it was Good, but for everyone now, it takes a lot longer to put together and can look really messy and unrealistic. Realism and being like the real thing is what modellers are aiming for now.

That's why I mainly like to build new Airfix Releases. Because of my hate for 'seperate flaps' in older Airfix Aircraft.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

I made some more progress on the Spitfire today, most of this work has been done just over the past what? 3-4 days. It really has been a titanic struggle as Dazzled said.

But the pictures will have to wait until tomorrow.

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Keep at it Blohm, this is a challenging old kit but, with a bit of care, can be made to look good - even given the hassle of the "working" bits :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

ShaunW wrote:Keep at it Blohm, this is a challenging old kit but, with a bit of care, can be made to look good - even given the hassle of the "working" bits :grin:

Seconded from me Blohm. I agree, those old movable features can be a nuisance but these kits were designed to have some play appeal at the time.

How much of a good idea it is to play with a delicate model is, of course, open to question :shock: .

Keep up the good work. We're behind you all the way.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Splendid work with this beast, Blohm! It's a scale terrifying to me for many reasons, but I really enjoy others work in it. I'm sure it'll turn out great once done.

Btw, is it done yet? :ha:
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Prisca wrote:Splendid work with this beast, Blohm! It's a scale terrifying to me for many reasons, but I really enjoy others work in it. I'm sure it'll turn out great once done.

Btw, is it done yet? :ha:

Nope, not yet but seeing as you asked, I have got some pics of progress! Honestly, I do not give anything about photo etch detailing and resin parts. I just want this thing over done with. This once cobweb and spider egg filled things just needs straightening out and painting. NOTHING ELSE. I'd rather attempt giving a haircut to myself with a MACH-2 kit then finish this. But seeing as I don't have any Mach-2 kits......PICS!

The wing roots had surpisingly no gap. Which only need smoothing down with some Sandpaper over a paintbrush handle.

Tail section filled.

Taping together the massive beast!

The beginning of what I might actually add on to this kit. I found a huge amount of scrap clear plastic sprues. So I am thinking of melting it over a mould then attaching it to the kit. Anyone one else would add LEDs to the sides. But I'm so tired of this kit I could not bother wiring a system and a switch up.

Gun ports. Very scratchy.

What I found fun of this image is that it is an illusion, it looks like a big glob of CA, but it actually is sanded down and straight, believe it or not.

A filled gap. Boring.
But smooth and even.

IN THE FLESH!

After some various coats of Revell 8 Enamel, I managed to re-do the prop.

I'd just like to take into account about all the work being done. Normally, if I was to buy another 1/24 kit (Most likely mossie or tiffie) I would go out and buy resin and PE for the build. This build is old. Like I have said. I just want it done. No PE or resin. Completing it would be the best achievement.

MORE TO COME!

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice and big. Watch out for the masking tape on your decals.

Nigel
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Nice and big. Watch out for the masking tape on your decals.

Nigel

Need not worry. It is only scrap which came off when the model had finished gluing.

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Getting there, mate!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Good progress! :)
Up in the Great White North
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

PE, resin or just bare plastic, it's size is going to make it as impressive as the progress you're making Blohm. I admire the way you're going at it.

Your bench looks like the Supermarine factory 8-) .
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Pics later, but I the main body is put together. Leaving all the delicate pieces such as the wind speed meter, the Aerial and some other small bits which are easy to snap/break off.

The canopy also waits masking, but I am still waiting for the lovely British Spares Deparment's letter to arrive containing the bits and bobs. Hopefully in better condition and flash free.

fredk

Post by fredk »

Looking very good. Coming together nicely. Stick with it. You're nearly done.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Getting Things Done GB”