Shaun's Phabulous Phantom Sisters

Finish off those kits which are stalled on the workbench, languishing on the sidelines, or lurking on The Shelf of Doom.
Runs 1st to 30th November
GB Leaders are Dazzled and AndrewR
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Shaun's Phabulous Phantom Sisters

Post by ShaunW »

Well, if you've got one Rhino on the bench, you may as well have two :grin: You lucky people, getting two builds in one thread. I wanted to keep these builds together as they have become very closely linked. Hope you don't mind and I'll try not to confuse you or myself during the course of this effort :grin:

First up and hopping cheekily over the GB fence from the Vietnam GB is the youngest sister, my heavily re-worked Airfix F-4E. Some of you will no doubt be familiar with this effort, but for those of you who aren't here's the link so you can become as bored as the rest :ha:

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=7751;

And here's the current state of play. Naturally, I haven't done much today, a model doesn't make into this sort of GB by being worked on every minute of one's spare time :ha:

And here is the older girl, a Hasegawa F-4J. The sprues of this kit have been providing spares to improve the Airfix kit as the Hasegawa kit contains quite a few parts that are not for use with the J version but are fine for the E. This build was started some time in the late '90's and for reasons long since forgotten, was abandoned at the painting stage. The kit was then badly damaged and lived in a supermarket carrier bag for at least 12 years, or rather most of it did. I had to turn the modelling den upside down and inside out in my search for the missing bits but find them I did and there they are in the foreground of the photos.

The Hasegawa kit is streets ahead of the Airfix offering and only needs a bit of TLC before she will be ready for a fresh coat of paint. The build is mostly OOB although there is some Eduard PE in the cockpit, hiding under all that '90's masking tape. I also have some nice Microscale USMC decals that I plan to use on this model.

So, apart from spending most of the afternoon tracking down missing bits of Hasegawa F-4J, I have done a little modelling on the F-4E. Below is the centreline fuel tank and no prizes for guessing the provenance of this particular item :grin: The Airfix tank is a bit of a dud and is not really the correct shape whereas this item is much better. The structure on top is a strip of plastic card to facilitate attachment to the underside of the Airfix fuselage and should not be confused in any way with the centreline pylon fitted to an F-4 Phantom :ha:

So that's it for today. Can I build two models at once? Ho, ho, I can barely manage one at a time, but it should be fun trying!

Thanks for looking.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Shaun's Phabulous Phantom Sisters

Post by AndrewR »

There seem to be a lot of abandoned Phantoms around, I was thinking of digging one out too!
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

AndrewR wrote:There seem to be a lot of abandoned Phantoms around, I was thinking of digging one out too!
A Phantom is for life, not just for Christmas :ha:

IPMS#12300
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Are we still in the Vietnam GB? I seem to be getting some deja vu here.

Seamless hop over here Shaun and a good idea after all the work you did on the Airfix Phantom. It's nice to see the momentum being maintained as this is the purpose of this GB.

Looking forward to seeing these two projects completed.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

You can never have enough Phantoms. They're a bit like Spitfires in that respect.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Ian wrote:You can never have enough Phantoms. They're a bit like Spitfires in that respect.
lol, just trying to list the similer parts....they both have wings...
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Cheers boys. Not a lot of time at the bench today due to having various other jobs to do, but I have managed to push both models along towards painting.

First up, I gave my self a dressing down for the awful bit of bodging with the F-4E belly tank and stripped off the plastic card "pylon" which has been replaced with something that at least gives a nod towards accuracy! The replacement centre line pylon has been fashioned from a piece of small square section plastic rod and I have also added strakes from the ever useful 0.5mm Plastruct rod.

Below are both of my ladies, preparing themselves for an airbrush makeover

As you can see, the Hasegawa F-4J has now been repaired with the outer right hand side wing panel reattached together with the belly tank, although the latter can't be made out in the photo and all the '90's masking has been removed. I have decided to leave on the wing tanks as removing them would probably cause damage and mean that I would not be able to ensure that the wing pylons would fit as well as they do currently. If I was building the Hase kit now, I would leave off the wing pylons and tanks as they make masking up more difficult although at least the tanks and pylons are white, as is the rest of the underside. The F-4E wing tanks are being painted separately as they require a camo finish which would be very difficult to mask if they were on the model but the belly tank will be fitted as it is in the same grey as the rest of the underside. The tail planes on both models are being left off, however, as doing so makes masking and painting the natural metal area under the tail easier. Holding the tail planes for painting is a bit of an issue however, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Perhaps I will paint and mask the NMF areas first and then mount the tail planes. I'll mull and chew over that issue. Anyway, the Hase tail planes, which had broken off, required repairing and I have also cleaned up the the tail area where they fit.

Paint wise, the F-4E will be done first as I need a base coat on to ascertain whether or not further sanding and/or filling is required. I can see from the paint already applied to the F-4J that the seams are fine and only a repaint is required. I'm off to SMW at Telford on Saturday and intend to pick up a selection of Vallejo acrylics and certainly I think the F-4J may well end up being painted using paints from that range as I currently have no Gull Grey or white to hand (everything is starting to run out since my LMS closed in February :cry: ). I intend to use Humbrol enamel to at least put the base coat on the F-4E during the week but it may be the case that the model ends up being painted totally in Humbrol enamels as I have the correct shades in stock. Whilst I'm at Telford I'll also have a look for some weapons sets, as the F-4J in particular came with none in the box as Hasegawa make their own separately available weapons sets and, naturally, expect modellers to fork out even more money in order to tool up their war planes :roll: The F-4J is fitted with the OOB Sidewinder rails on the inner wing pylons and, of course, there are also the four recessed Sparrow bays to fill as well.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

If you need some ordnance to hang from the wings, let me know what you're after and I'll see what's in the spares box.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ian wrote:If you need some ordnance to hang from the wings, let me know what you're after and I'll see what's in the spares box.
You're a very kind man Ian and all round good bloke - don't take any notice of what the rest of them say about you on here, I don't believe a word of it :ha:

The F-4E is OK for ordnance as I have a Hase weapons set containing various bombs, which are suitable and with a bit of work, the OOB Sparrow missiles will pass muster. The F-4J however is configured as Mig CAP and requires 4 Vietnam era Sidewinders for the inner wing pylons and 4 Sparrows of similar vintage for the recessed fuselage positions.

IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I'll have a rummage in my box when I get up tomorrow afternoon. I know I have both in there somewhere.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks Ian, that's very kind of you.

IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

No problem, Shaun. I've even just set a reminder on my phone.
Also, I don't worry about what people on here say about me. It's nothing to what they say about you behind your back. :ha:
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hmm, that F4 looks familar...
Honcho of ASMMF
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

They both going well Shaun.

Great guns in fact...

Not to mention great Sparrows and Sidewinders too :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Shaun - I have good news and bad news.
The good news is that I checked the spares box even while drinking my 'just gotten up' cup of tea, thus beating the reminder on my phone.
Even more good news is that I have AIM-7's and 9's coming out of my ears.
The bad news is that they are nearly all either 1:144 or 1:48.
I do have a pair of 72nd 'winders in the box, and you are more than welcome to them if you want them but I don't have any Sparrows.
I feel so bad about getting your hopes up that I even checked the stash to see if I could plunder any from unstarted kits for you but the only jet kit I have in 1:72 is a Sea Harrier - again with a pair of 'winders.
I am, officially, a ****** (insert your own expletive here).
I'm also really sorry.

Return to “Getting Things Done GB”