Dazzled's Postponed Jagdpanther.....On Parade!

Finish off those kits which are stalled on the workbench, languishing on the sidelines, or lurking on The Shelf of Doom.
Runs 1st to 30th November
GB Leaders are Dazzled and AndrewR
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Dazzled's Postponed Jagdpanther.

Post by ShaunW »

That's looking great Darryl, the individual link tracks give convincing sag. Jagdpanthers are elegant looking tank destroyers and I certainly wouldn't have fancied facing one of those in a Sherman or Cromwell!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dazzled's Postponed Jagdpanther.

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks guys.

Personally I wouldn't like to be in a tank at all. A big metal target seems to be easy pickings however tough it looks.

And, talking of tough, work and other commitments have made making progress with the Jagdpanther pretty tough for the last 3 days. However, I'm happy to report that things have moved along this afternoon and evening.

Things were getting pretty well advanced with the model anyway and, with much of the exterior stores sorted out, I turned to the last piece......the tow cable. I had thought that this was a piece of thread but, on closer inspection, I found that it was a very authentic looking coiled steel wire. And, after supergluing on the plastic eye ends and giving them a coat of Humbrol Metalcote followed by a buff up with a cotton bud, I ended up with this.....

Then, in a final, heroic push, I started attaching the last parts. So stores and spare track went on, hull MG went in and the tow cable bracket was added. The tow cable I put on last. One thing that was immediately obvious was that I wasn't going to get all that cable on to such a small reel/holder so I had to get creative in draping it over the vehicle.

Then, with a final flourish of minor weathering additions and a short length of steel wire for a radio antenna, the mighty Jagdpanther was ready to roar. Here's a few pics of the finished model.

Another finish and a very satisfying one too. This kit has been 5 years in the building.

So, is it a good kit?

Well, like many kits it has it's good and bad points. The bad ones are mostly related to the instructions:

The colour call outs are quite confusing, stating Gunze colours but listing what appear to be Italeri paint refs.

Some of the parts locations are incorrect. Nothing major though, just the external equipment, and easily rectified.

The mystery part F41. Sprue F only contains 39 parts, numbered to 39 :???:

The front drive wheels were a bit of a pain to fit to their tapered cone attachments and get aligned.

And, with all the extra bits Dragon included (and considering the price), some pre-Zimmeritted panels would have been a good idea. Making Zimmerit with filler was a messy and difficult procedure. This is why the kit got sidelined.

That's not to say it's a bad kit. In fact I could be tempted to build another in the future. The best features are:

Individual link tracks. I know I moaned and they took a bit of time but they look brilliant.

Turned aluminium gun barrel. No sanding a round barrel square trying to remove a seam ;-) .

Etched engine grilles and a steel tow rope. Great features that add to the appearance of the model immensely.

Apart from the issue with the drive wheels the fit of the parts is outstanding. Everything went together without filler. This, in a small way compensates for the half-hundredweight I used for the Zimmerit :roll: .

And, best of all, it's dimensionally accurate when compared to drawings and photos.

Personally, if you like armour modelling, and you can find one, I'd heartily recommend this kit.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Dazzled's Postponed Jagdpanther.....On Parade!

Post by splash »

Nice work Dazz it looks brilliant.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Great build there Darryl :)
Up in the Great White North
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Has that 'Don't mess with me' look about it.
Nicely done.

Nigel
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Looks fierce!
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That has turned out very well Darryl and the kit has built into a great looking Jagdpanther. One point that I had missed was the fact that you made your own Zimmerit, I've been there and know how messy it can be, so have some extra bonus marks for that 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

And a very nice finish it is! Well done indeed!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Very good work, i am well impressed.

rich.
Rich.

Return to “Getting Things Done GB”