Dazzled's Postponed Jagdpanther.....On Parade!

Finish off those kits which are stalled on the workbench, languishing on the sidelines, or lurking on The Shelf of Doom.
Runs 1st to 30th November
GB Leaders are Dazzled and AndrewR
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazzled's Postponed Jagdpanther.....On Parade!

Post by Dazzled »

It's been kicking around for at least 5 years now.

Dragons 1/35th scale Jagdpanther.

It's a very nice kit and not a cheap one either. Unfortunately, after a very promising start, I had some trouble with the Zimmerit coating and abandoned it. I do, however, appear to have sorted most of that out although I don't remember doing so, and giving the model an incomplete coat of Tamiya XF-60((?).

I still have all the running gear and multi-link tracks to build up but I do have quite a bit of enthusiasm for this one.

After, of course, I finish the Rufe. ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Dazzled's Postponed Jagdpanther.

Post by Stuart »

Theres almost as many bits in that kit as there is in an Airfix Beaufighter :)

This'll be nice when done.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That's a sharp looking tank and an impressive looking kit
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

It's the wheels that puts me off armour kits. A shame really 'cos they look really nice when they're completed.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is a great kit Dazzled and, being a bit of an armour enthusiast, I look forward to seeing this come together.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice mean looking machine the Jagdpanther.

Nigel
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

And with a wonderful weekend in Shropshire over and the Rufe in the cabinet, it's time to turn my attention back to the Jagdpanther.

The main issue in completing this beastie is, of course, getting the running gear done. There was no excuse but to "man up" and face the task ahead.

Firstly the Aztek was loaded with Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow for a painting session.

This all went swimmingly until I looked for another jar of paint and found the cupboard (or rather the shoebox where I keep spare paints) was bare. The day after Telford too :oops: .

So I hopped on the next train into Cardiff and picked up a couple of jars from Antics. Way to waste a couple of hours Darryl :mad:

How I could run out of such a basic colour is beyond me and an indicator of the need for me to keep a notebook with a paint inventory in it.

When I returned from my enforced sojourn into the capital I loaded up with Tamiya Metallic Grey XF-56 and went for the track links.

Here are all 5 sprues of them! Tonight is going to be an interesting evening of snipping and sanding I think :roll: I don't think I'll complain about band type tracks again. I just have to focus on now good they'll look (hopefully!) when finished.

I had intended to pick up some more XF-56 while I was in the shop, as I'm dangerously low on my favourite track colour, but they had run out :sad:

And that's it so far. Some progress. Not exciting, but progress nonetheless.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one. These 1/35th tanks take more paint than you might think! Look on the bright side with the individual track links though Darryl, at least they will help when it comes to putting in the track sag that is so typical of these vehicles.

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I spent 5 hours cleaning up the links yesterday and, today, I got some bits of the running gear attached plus 8 of the 32 roadwheel tyres painted.

I'm slogging along with it but, determined not to give in to prevarication ;-) , I'm keeping going.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It can be a slog with those individual links and the tyres, I've been there many times :grin:

IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Yes, that's the tough bit , when you don't seem to be making progress even though you're spending hours at the bench!! Good luck :)
Up in the Great White North
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Despite the tiredness induced by working early shifts today, I found a little inspiration to get the finished roadwheels on.

Also in the picture is a jar containing the 210 painted and cleaned up track links. Dragon put all the attachment gates at points where the links join so I have to decide whether it's a good idea to touch up the paint before or after assembly. I'm swaying towards after at the moment.

Inspired by this little bit of visible progress I got my tray out and sat and painted the rest of the roadwheel tyres. I used Games Workshop acrylic for this and the fast drying time made it possible to get the remaining 24 wheels attached.

I'm beginning to feel that I've broken the back of the work on the running gear 8-) so I'm feeling quite chuffed at the moment :grin: .

Turning to the remaining parts, I have painted the nice etched brass grills that were supplied with the kit.

They're going to really look the business on the finished model. Just one of the nice features of this kit that includes a thread tow rope and a turned metal gun barrel, as well, of course, as the individually linked tracks.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a really nice looking kit of the Jagdpanther Darryl. Whenever I've done separate track links I've usually touched them up after assembly onto the model. If you use liquid glue to attach them as I do, then you will find that the glue may well remove some more of the paint in any event. It's a man's life building AFV kits you know, not like that namby pamby aircraft nonsense - a bit like comparing rugby to football :-D

IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

ShaunW wrote: not like that namby pamby aircraft nonsense
:evil:
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:. It's a man's life building AFV kits you know, not like that namby pamby aircraft nonsense - a bit like comparing rugby to football :-D
:roll: He'll be showing us pictures of his power tool collection next! :ha:

Good work on the tracks Darryl - that's a lot of fiddly work to do. :)
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Getting Things Done GB”