Fred's Train of Trouble ***Finished***

Finish off those kits which are stalled on the workbench, languishing on the sidelines, or lurking on The Shelf of Doom.
Runs 1st to 30th November
GB Leaders are Dazzled and AndrewR
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Fred's Train of Trouble ***Finished***

Post by fredk »

I'll be doing a bit of blitzing this weekend. I'm feeling rather good after having got the Grant tank done. So while I'm on a high I'm gonna do as many stalled builds as I can.
Breaking my own rule on this one; I said I wouldnt do any stalled builds from any GB. But so many of my stalled builds are from GBs its hard to find one thats not. This is one from a GB on the Airfix Tribute Forum.
I started this almost two years ago.

It'll not be a normal engine. This one is to be an armoured loco and tender from the Boer wars.
I need to add a cow catcher, or as I was taught by an uncle who worked on the railways out of Chicago - a 'cattle nudger'. To apply armour plate to the tender and sides & roof of the cab, and special armour over the boiler. This is rather special and will be hard to do but I think you'll like the look when its done.
First is to finish off the driving & connecting rods on the wheels.
As you can see the tender is completely built but it needs armour plate on the sides and rear.
Now, out with the plastic card. I have an idea to use something unusual for impressing 'rivets' onto the card. If it works I'll tell you about it.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Dazzled

Re: Fred's Train of Trouble

Post by Dazzled »

I like it. It's unusual and I've got a real curiosity for armoured trains. I'm really glad this GB is inspiring some project finishing for so many people. :grin:

Is that the Airfix/Dapol City of Truro Fred?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Dazzled wrote:Is that the Airfix/Dapol City of Truro Fred?
Yes it is, which means as well as adding a cow-catcher and armour plating, Fred will have to build a time machine to get the loco from 1903 when the first of this class of 10 locos was delivered, back to, at the latest, 1902 when the second of the two Boer wars finished :shock: :ha:

I'm just kidding Fred. I love trains of all types (I've been employed in the railway game for over 35 years now) and am really looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. :beer:

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, a loco and one that is going to be armoured at that - now that is refreshingly different!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
fredk

Post by fredk »

The Truro is the only 4-4-0 available which is anyway near like the original. But once the armour is on it you wont be able to tell.
This will be static model. After the engine, sometime I'll do some of the special cars for it. I have done a WW2 British armoured train, based on Hornby rolling stock, but as it was built to run it got some compromises.
Anyway got the basic kit finished off and some colour paint on in different places.
Next is to make the cattle nudger, and some plasticard on in areas for attaching the boiler armour.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I've built a couple of locos over the years. I have a stalled German one on the 'shelf of shame'.
It won't be coming out to play though. But they do make a refreshing change from tanks and aircraft.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I seem to recall seeing an article on making Boer War armoured trains in an old Airfix magazine - is your build based on this? If so, it might be a good display if we do the 'CBK goes to the library' theme for Telford '14...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

For rivets you could use very thin plastic card and push a pin Into the back this would make a raised rivet on the front.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

fredk wrote:The Truro is the only 4-4-0 available which is anyway near like the original. But once the armour is on it you wont be able to tell.
This will be static model. After the engine, sometime I'll do some of the special cars for it. I have done a WW2 British armoured train, based on Hornby rolling stock, but as it was built to run it got some compromises.
Anyway got the basic kit finished off and some colour paint on in different places.
Next is to make the cattle nudger, and some plasticard on in areas for attaching the boiler armour.
I'd love to see a picture of that if possible.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
fredk

Post by fredk »

SJPONeill wrote:I seem to recall seeing an article on making Boer War armoured trains in an old Airfix magazine - is your build based on this? If so, it might be a good display if we do the 'CBK goes to the library' theme for Telford '14...
That article gave me the idea, and I'm following some of it; but I've done my own research and although some of the gun wagons will be based on those built in those articles I'll be doing them to what I know.
[I'm not in the CBK, IPMS, or likely to be going to Telford ever again]

Splash; I have my own special 'rivet' maker. Tried it out last night. I'll reveal it later. ;-)
fredk

Post by fredk »

Dazzled wrote:I'd love to see a picture of that if possible.
The British armoured train?
I'll need to clean it up, and replace a couple of broken items on it firstly. [Should I put the photos here or where ?]
It does get a good response at the model railway shows our model club attends [we're the static plastic models side-show at them]
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Yes, the British train. I'm sure here would be fine or even on the "cars, tucks, bikes, locos" section of the forum. It would be interesting to see it with, perhaps, some construction details. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

fredk

Post by fredk »

Finally getting somewhere with this;

Armour plate built up on the tender:

It cant be seen but 'rivets' have been impressed into the plastic card, using this -
Its a stitching marker I use in leather work.

The tender armour has been painted steel grey all over now.

Bits of plastic card have been stuck all over the engine, mostly for the armour to be attached to;
All these bits have been painted black.

Plan is to get at least some armour on the loco tonight.
Probably the next pictures will be of it finished. [hopefully]
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I can see where you're going with this Fred and it's really nice to see this progressing. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is great Fred, something very different, interesting use of that stitching maker for the rivets too.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Getting Things Done GB”