OT's Silver Springbok ***Did Not Finish!***

For Mirage III aircraft and any derivatives thereof; any kit, any scale.
Runs 17th November to 15th December.
Your GB Leader is Old_Tonto
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: OT's Silver Springbok

Post by DavidWomby »

Sorry it's being so hard on you but if it's any consolation, that resin exhaust looks to me like it's for the re-engined Israeli CJs and not appropriate for the IIICZ that the SAAF flew. Doesn't the kit also have an 'eye-lid' exhaust that looks like the one in this drawing of a IIICZ:

Keep trying dry-fitting the wings. You'll get there.

David
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

Got a couple of Highplanes from last years South Cheshire show for a £5iver each and they look to be cursed with the same afflictions as your Mirage,that said I would have been right miffed if I had shelled out the original full price and postage to boot. You may as whittle a vacform its far less ardious.

Keep up the good work as I think you can see light at the end of the (wheel wells) tunnel.FF
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Saxon wrote:Yeah High Planes have some very rough kits. Their new tool Mirage though is quite the looker.
I wish I had known that, I am very tempted to bin this one. :sad:

Thanks for the info Dwomby. Where did you get that image from? It is very useful.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Sometimes its just better to go with an old kit that one with all the extras OT.
Honcho of ASMMF
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Old_Tonto wrote: I wish I had known that, I am very tempted to bin this one. :sad:

Thanks for the info Dwomby. Where did you get that image from? It is very useful.
I can't find where I picked that image from. Sorry. There used to be a good IPMS South Africa site but it seems to be gone. I have several good Mirage books if you need some info. in particular. There's a good SAAF site here with a page on the IIICZ if you need:

http://www.saairforce.co.za/gallery-and ... z#viewport

As to the kit, I'm sure it's frustrating but I hope you'll persevere. Are the wings assembled now and the issue is getting them to fit the fuselage or are you having trouble getting the top and bottom wing halves to match up?

David
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

dwomby wrote:
Old_Tonto wrote: Are the wings assembled now and the issue is getting them to fit the fuselage or are you having trouble getting the top and bottom wing halves to match up?
Thanks for that David. I used to look at the IPMS SA site a lot but as you say it has sadly gone.

The wings neither fit at the leading edge or fuselage join. :roll:

I will carry on though as I am too cheap to bin it. :lol:
Once the fuselage is assembled I will return to the wings, get them attached as best I can & fill the gaps. Unfortunately I can see a lot of the nice detail being obliterated. I guess I had better learn to re-scribe ASAP. :frown:

Some progress has been made. I identified these parts to replace the resin jet pipe that is way too big:

I have painted & assembled them. Once dry I will see if they fit up the spout.

I am going to start on the vac canopy today too. Wish me luck. :???:
Current Projects:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

This may be too late but if the top and bottom wings aren't joined to each other yet, maybe install lower wing first, then add the upper wings later fitting them as closely as you can to the fuselage and deal with cleaning up mismatches between the leading / trailing edges of the lower wing afterwards as they might be underneath?

David
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

dwomby wrote:This may be too late but if the top and bottom wings aren't joined to each other yet, maybe install lower wing first, then add the upper wings later fitting them as closely as you can to the fuselage and deal with cleaning up mismatches between the leading / trailing edges of the lower wing afterwards as they might be underneath?

David
That sounds like a cunning plan David. I am on it. 8-)
Current Projects:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I made some progress this weekend.

I added weight to the nose. I don't know if it was required as it is not mentioned in the instructions. :???:

I decided to jazz up the seat with some of those black & yellow eject handles. Scratch building is not my strong point. We will see what it looks looks later.

I got the seat installed & the gap behind the cockpit tub filled & painted.
Still need to add the control stick & IP. Not sure how to fit the IP as again the instructions are lacking. I have also started to cut out the canopy, just need to carefully trim it.

Now for my next challenge. :evil:
How do I make this fit?

This is supposed to be fun! :roll:
Current Projects:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Looking at the IIICZ photos and drawing I sent you, the fin needs to be cut short in a vertical line at the FRONT end.

David
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Old_Tonto wrote: I added weight to the nose. I don't know if it was required as it is not mentioned in the instructions. :???:
Damn, I knew I forgot to do something I hope mine doesn't need it. :roll:

Good luck with the tail adjustments.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

No pics today as my phone is out of commission, not much progress to see anyway. :cry:

I have been plugging away at this 'illegitimate child' of a kit. The tail surgery went ok apart from the carpet monster feeding on the tail housing for the drogue parachute at the base & rear of the tail.

I will sort that out with a bit of sprue sanded to shape. It is a shame as the part looked accurate. Oh well. :roll:

I have fitted the engine exhaust after much sanding, it is wedged in now – no need for glue but I fear the rear fuselage may explode apart at any second. :???:

I am struggling to fit the nice resin front U\C bay too. Way too big but I will whittle it down accordingly. Once that is fitted I can try to fit the lower wing section which should at least make it look more Mirage like.

I am still very carefully cutting down the vac canopy but am getting there, slowly. Check twice, sand once.

The next time I suggest a group build please remind me of this build. :twisted:
Current Projects:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Firstly apologies for not being around for the last few days. We had big flooding in this area on Thursday evening with resulting power loss & major issues at work. As a consiquence I have been missing bench time. :sad:

I have made a tiny bit of progress though. Just about finished up the cockpit, apologies for the out of focus image. It does make it look very good though. ;-)

Also the tail is attached & just requires a little sanding.

Next steps: Attach & mask the canopy - not necessarily in that order. Then attach the lower wing.
Current Projects:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

That cockpit looks great. Its sounds like you have finished cutting out the canopy too.

Good luck with the wings.

David
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

dwomby wrote:Its sounds like you have finished cutting out the canopy too.

David
I fear I may have cut too much plastic away! :???:
Current Projects:

Return to “Mirage III Family GB”