Zee's Chevrolet Z/47 Thundermaro *FINISHED*

Custom cars built/painted with an aeroplane theme.
Runs 23rd Nov to 29th Dec.
GB Leader is Narayan
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Zee's Chevrolet Z/47 Thundermaro *FINISHED*

Post by Zee28 »

Hi Buddies!

Well, I'm a little late to the party (had to get something done and off the bench before starting this :roll: ) but I'm here now.

Lots of Firsts for me, first ever GB, first ever car kit (Gulp!), first ever non-scale colour scheme.... So be nice! :grin:

OK, here we go, here's the car kit, a 1979 Chevrolet Z/28 Camaro

And here's the plane that is going to inspire the colour scheme, a P47 Thunderbolt

So, combining a Z/28 Camaro and a P47 Thunderbolt will hopefully result in a Chevrolet Z/47 Thundermaro

A word or two about the car:

The kit box says it's a '78, but upon opening the box it quickly becomes obvious it's a '79, the 'square' style dashboard (instead of wrap-around) was new for '79 and is featured in the kit, plus the front fender flares were also introduced in '79.

This car is significant to me because I had a real one for many years which I tuned up to the hilt, it became a right piece of work, one of those 'Never take it out in the rain' cars (you'd probably end up in a hedge the moment you squeezed the gas pedal!), I was even running some 'Sniff' on it for a while (Nitrous Oxide) for that extra punch when needed. Well you gotta show Porker drivers who's boss ain't ya!

The Second Generation Camaro had a very long production run (for Detroit) being constantly developed from mid-'70 right through to '81. Some things were engineering and interior improvements, some were modifications to meet increasingly strict Government regulations imposed on the American auto industry at the time, such as ever tightening emission laws, the introduction of catalytic converters and unleaded gas, and the requirement for more impact resistant 5 mph bumpers. '78 saw the introduction of the new polyurethane elastic bumper covers which integrated into the nose and tail bodywork for a 'one piece' cohesive look, but still retaining (engineered underneath them) the ability to bounce off any impact up to 5 mph. An idea hastily copied by Porsche for their American-friendly V8 GT car, the 928.

I adored my Camaro car and some kind hearted friend bought me a kit of one (this kit) many years ago assuming that if I had a real one I'd naturally like to have a model of it. Understandable and very nice, but I really only build planes so it sat in the stash for years and years.

But this GB now gives me a chance to do something with it! :grin:

I have never built a car kit before, ever, so I had no idea what to expect, but upon opening the box I was really impressed. These car kits are fantastic, I now understand why you car builders do it.

In real life I probably know every inch of these Second Generation Camaros and have probably, at some time or another, undone every screw, nut and grommet on these babies, I probably have more intimate knowledge of 2nd Gen Camaros that any other car in the world, and I have to say Monogram have captured every detail very impressively. Engine components, suspension, interior etc. are all highly detailed, textured and really accurate. This is impressive stuff! Some of the parts breakdown even echoes how the real ones were slung together, it's brilliant! Even the glazing is tinted, and the chrome plated wheels are gorgeous!

I won't do a sprue shot because there are so many parts, so I'll offer a box contents shot instead.
Fortunately the kit offers the option to build the car in stock form rather than the rather tasteless and dated 'Customised' version on the front of the box, this can be seen top left of this photo on the side of the box and as you can see, it looks absolutely tons better in Stock form, it was such a handsome and good looking car straight off the showroom floor.

So we're off! More later guys.

Zee
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Re: Zee's Chevrolet Z/47 Thundermaro

Post by Narayan »

Great introduction Zee. You chosen a very nice car and scheme. Glad you finally get to build a kit that has been in your stash for so long. You never know, you might actually like it ;-)

Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.

A:B 2013 36:09 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 229:60
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Thanks Narayan, that's nice of you to say. I'll hopefully make some progress with this shortly, updates to follow!

Zee
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

A real shocker you chose that car, Zee! :ha:

Very nice choice. Actually hard to believe this is your first car kit, given your interest in American classic cars. Well, I shouldn't talk, love classic cars but only built eight, including new cars. I have no doubt you will turn this into a lovely finish. Great scheme you've chosen too.

Maybe you'll be bitten by the bug and suddenly start to build lots of cars? :)

I agree that stock is lots better than custom.

Good luck! :grin:
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

That's a nice scheme, Zee. Good choice.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Prisca wrote:A real shocker you chose that car, Zee! :ha:
Am I that predictable? :-D
Prisca wrote:Very nice choice. Actually hard to believe this is your first car kit, given your interest in American classic cars.
I think it's because I've always had the opportunity to mess about with the real ones, so the desire to model them never really entered my head. But I have no opportunity to play with the real planes that I love, so I build models of them instead!
Prisca wrote:I agree that stock is lots better than custom.
I totally agree, that custom one looks horrid! Here's a lovely photo of what a stock '79 should look like, isn't she lovely!

Prisca wrote:Good luck! :grin:
Thanks! I'll need it! (my first ever car kit! :shock: )
Ian wrote:That's a nice scheme, Zee. Good choice.
Thanks Ian, appreciated.

Zee
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

She's spectacular!!
Dang, now I want a Z28 too!
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Zee building a kit of an American muscle car? who would have though it? I don't think he's ever mentioned liking U.S. cars on here before :ha: (I see now where the Zee28 moniker comes from :grin: ) Should look good with the P-47 scheme.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Oh wow that's going to look sweet
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

ShaunW wrote:Zee building a kit of an American muscle car? who would have though it? I don't think he's ever mentioned liking U.S. cars on here before
I know, I have been very discreet about it Shaun, I'm surprised anyone noticed to be honest. :-D

I do love 'em, but it isn't all good times with these old Muscle machines, I'd be lying if it said it was, I won't let my passion for them cloud the realism. They can be inefficient, a bit unrefined, and some were really sloppily assembled back in those days (not now with the modern stuff though), especially Camaros and Firebirds that came from the Van Nuys plant where those lazy Californian Hippies on the assembly line could barely muster the energy to do the nuts up! :-D

But you do get a kick-ass car that an ordinary blue-collar working man can afford. When I first got into them back in the 1980's it was because they offered the 'Biggest Bang for the Buck' here in the UK, only costly exotica went quicker and looked cooler, but they were the preserve of the super-rich. That all changed with the introduction of high powered affordable turbo cars, like the Seirra Cosworth, which has since been superseded by the turbo-nutter Japanese cars like Imprezzas and such.

So nowadays muscle cars are not really preserved for their performance, nowadays it's more about their classic status and style, and the representation of a bygone era that will never be repeated.

Work starts in earnest on the model shortly!

Zee
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Are you panicking yet? :ha:
Up in the Great White North
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

This looks like a great choice Zee!

I've always been a big fan of the Z28 and I think it'll look great in the P-47 colour scheme :) Can't wait to see it finished, I'll be following your thread with great interest.

Good luck ;-)
Regards,

Miss-Stang
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

An undeniably cool looking car.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

AndrewR wrote:Are you panicking yet? :ha:
Yes! :shock:

I've made a start (photos coming soon) but it's all so alien after only doing planes. I've never done a car kit before and had no idea what to expect. The level of detail and the parts fit is truly excellent, and Mongram have captured the shape superbly.

The kit has an expensive feel to it, with loads of chrome parts, tinted glazing and full engine and drivetrain detailing. I can now see why people build model cars, I had no idea the kits were so lovely!

When I do a plane, I formulate a plan of attack for the most efficient and fastest painting and build order, but with a car I have just been staring blankly at it with no idea where to go next. Should I have started by painting and finishing the body shell? Or should I get engine, drivetrain and chassis together fist? Or interior? What about the glazing? Do I dip it in Klear like I would a aircraft canopy? Aaaaaargh! I am so far out of my comfort zone!

More soon (today), stay tuned for more miniature motoring mayhem from Zee's bench!

Zee
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I'm not a lover of American muscle cars, but I must admit that is one smooooooooooooooth looking car.

I'm looking forward to seeing this build.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Aero-themed Autos”