Migrant's Flying Ford, (finally) Finished.

Custom cars built/painted with an aeroplane theme.
Runs 23rd Nov to 29th Dec.
GB Leader is Narayan
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Re: Migrant's flying Ford.

Post by Narayan »

Belated welcome to the group build Mike. A very interesting choice you have made for this one.

The cockpit and overall start you've made is amazing.

Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.

A:B 2013 38:11 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 231:62
Molly-new
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Molly-new »

Fantastic work Mike, I love it.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Thanks for your interest and encouragement guys, I appreciate it. Unfortunately work/real life have kept me away from the bench for the last couple of days but this morning I had some downtime so made a little bit of progress.

I attached the bonnet/hood and the radiator grille. This wasn't as straightforward as gluing 3 parts ought to have been. I attached them with superglue and once they were in position, I ran liquid superglue along the seams from the inside to strengthen them. Unfortunately I didn't notice that I'd applied way too much until I noticed that there was wet glue all down one side of the body, and that my fingers were securely attached to it. Lots of debonder eventually removed most of the excess glue, followed by some sanding/polishing, then a retouch of the white primer, then re-application of the roundel mask which had been destroyed in the process.

Then followed the spraying of the main colors, using Tamiya rattle cans. A light splattered pass first to create a key, then a heavier wet coat about half an hour later. I also decanted some of each colour into small bottles for the inevitable touch-ups, as the rattle cans don't allow for much fine control.

Here are the two main assemblies painted, and then dry-fitted together to get an overall impression:

Now it's a case of leaving them to fully cure for a day or so before polishing/buffing the paint. In the meantime it's on to painting some of the other bits like wheels and exhausts.
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Shiny!

You know, the idea of Auto mobiles' cosplaying as Aircraft is a really interesting subject. You could try seeing if you could putting your build into AMW HQ and see if you can get another article. Thousands of modellers would probably love seeing this.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Looking great Mike! Love the colours.

Zee28
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Oh I love those colors, excellent paint result!
But it looks too much like Sweden. :ha:
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Migrant

Post by Migrant »

Thanks for the comments!
BlohmWolf wrote:Shiny! You know, the idea of Auto mobiles' cosplaying as Aircraft is a really interesting subject. You could try seeing if you could putting your build into AMW HQ and see if you can get another article. Thousands of modellers would probably love seeing this.
Thanks BlohmWolf. Even assuming it turns out well, most magazines (including AMW) insist on previously unpublished builds, which includes those documented online, which is understandable. But, it's worth considering for a future build as I'm enjoying mixing the car/plane metaphors :)
Prisca wrote:Oh I love those colors, excellent paint result!
But it looks too much like Sweden. :ha:
You're right! I'm going to re-do the cockpit in hardwood with a leather sofa & potted plant, and stick IKEA logos on the doors. (I actually based the scheme on a pre-war B-10 bomber, although I've seen P-26s with a blue fuselage/yellow wings as well. Hopefully the addition of U.S. cockades will negate the Scandinavian look...)
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Lovely, Mike. Seeing this with the wood and Ikea logos would be even cooler than what you're already doing!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Migrant wrote:Thanks for the comments!
BlohmWolf wrote:Shiny! You know, the idea of Auto mobiles' cosplaying as Aircraft is a really interesting subject. You could try seeing if you could putting your build into AMW HQ and see if you can get another article. Thousands of modellers would probably love seeing this.
Thanks BlohmWolf. Even assuming it turns out well, most magazines (including AMW) insist on previously unpublished builds, which includes those documented online, which is understandable. But, it's worth considering for a future build as I'm enjoying mixing the car/plane metaphors :)

Whoops, I should have said 'Put in an idea of doing another Aviation themed Automobile'. No harm though.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I love the color combination
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Yeah, looking very Leeds United in those colours.

Nigel
Migrant

Post by Migrant »

Leeds United, Sweden, IKEA... so much for my between-the-wars aircraft scheme Image :grin:

Today's been a 1-step forward, 3-steps back kind of scenario. When I removed the circle masks for the roundels, there was a huge build-up of paint around the edges, so I had to get rid of that. Unfortunately I had to sand it quite a way back to eradicate the edge, and then I noticed a few small dust specks embedded in the paint so it ended up like this:

Sigh. Back to the spray booth for another session, although this time I airbrushed the decanted blue paint to prevent the same thing happening again. It looks much better now but again I'll leave it 24 hours before handling it.

OTOH, the yellow wings looked pretty smooth once they were cured so I polished them with Tamiya's compounds, and they came out very shiny.

The treads on the running boards were then masked and painted dark grey.

There are various small parts and assemblies now awaiting clean-up and paint, hoping to get some of that done tomorrow. I managed to drop one of the hub caps down the kitchen sink(!) so I'll have to address that somehow too.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

It's probably in the U-bend. Just take it off and check.
If anyone asks, you are just doing some man-type maintenance!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Migrant wrote:Lots of debonder eventually removed most of the excess glue, followed by some sanding/polishing, then a retouch of the white primer .....
This was from your fingers, right - the car looks just fine ! :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Migrant

Post by Migrant »

jRatz wrote:
Migrant wrote:Lots of debonder eventually removed most of the excess glue, followed by some sanding/polishing, then a retouch of the white primer .....
This was from your fingers, right - the car looks just fine ! :grin:
Thanks John, although the superglue was all down the side of the car too Image Debonder did a nice job of removing it, but removed most of the paint too.

State-of-play: decals are on and sealed with Future, I'll again need to leave it to cure overnight before handling. Painting the white pinstripes on the wheels required much holding of breath and sticking-my-tongue-out-the-corner-of-my-mouth, but they look OK from a distance. (There was a raised line on the tyres, so I didn't have to freehand them :-D ) The upper body is just temporarily placed in position for the photos. Still to add is the grille, headlamps, radiator cap, spare wheel, bumpers and of course the windows and cockpit.

I'm hoping it all goes together OK although based on the build so far I'm not entirely optimistic; it's a really old, cheap kit with soft detail and so-so engineering.

Return to “Aero-themed Autos”