Bluesteel gets Siouxed ***FINISHED***

Yet another attempt to persuade rationale people these things actually can fly ....
Runs December 1st to 31st.
GB Leader is Lancfan.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Bluesteel gets Siouxed ***FINISHED***

Post by bluesteel »

I'm in with the 1/72nd Italeri Bell 47 which I will build as a Bell 47G Sioux of the RAF CFS based at RAF Ternhill in the very early 1970s. I was there as a child when my Dad was in the RAF. When we moved there in 1971 they were operating Westland Whirlwinds and Sioux, a few years later when we left after a re-posting they had just replaced them with Gazelles and Pumas. I think the Pumas were still undergoing operational testing.

I'm using the 1/72nd Italeri kit which looks quite nice. But my boxing, unlike Splash's, doesn't have any UK decals, just US Stars and Bars, so I'll have to source them from elsewhere. I'll also have to find a way to get the top off my Tamiya Dayglow Orange/Red as it seems to have stuck solid - just goes to show how long it's been since I've used it!

Obligatory sprue shot:

The Whirlwind in shot is the one in CFS markings using the Airfix Whirlwind and the Heritage Aviation resin HAR9 nose. The Sioux once finished will keep it company :)
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Bluesteel gets Siouxed

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'll be following this one closely as I had intended to build mine for the gb but a wave of reality hit me as I'm busy from now till new year and my bench is full of half started projects. I've also the Eduard PE for mine but it looks daunting.

Re: stuck lid, turn pot upside down and try to drip thinner under the edge of the lid and leave for a few mins.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I find with Tamiya paint pots that are stuck, running the top under a hot tap causes the top to expand and release its grip.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Thinners didn't work, nor did holding it under running hot water. But I left it for 30 mins in a jar of nearly boiling water and that did the trick :grin:
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I found very few photos of RAF CFS Sioux, but I did find a good one on Air-Britain which I've printed off for reference. The Dayglo Red/Orange is slightly redder than the Tamiya Orange Dayglo but not by much. So I'll undercoat in red and cover in Dayglo orange and hope it will be close.

Parts now undercoated and a start made on the very small, many part, highly detailed engine:

Bluesteel

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice. The Sioux is a lovely delicate looking chopper.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

A quick start Julian and a lovely choice of kit. Italeri really are the kings of helicopter kits.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Engine is now complete. Very small and very intricate so not much to see in a photo. Now starting on the cockpit, which is a problem as the colour call outs for the US version of the kit are not the same as the RAF. I can just see in the few photos I have the rear wall inside is light grey not olive and the seats dark grey and not green. The rest I'll have to guess unless I can find walkaround/lookin photos.
Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

More work on the Sioux cockpit. It is significantly different to the US Bell 47 cockpit as supplied both in terms of colour call outs and some of the equipment. There's a box behind the instrument panel (avionics box?) which is larger on the RAF Sioux and Olive in colour as opposed to black, so I've made that. The seats have notches out of the back rest to divide into 3 seating positions and are blue-grey in colour. There's also more bits and bobs which are hard to identify through the only close-up I have of an RAF Sioux as it's from the front outside and the bubble canopy distorts things somewhat. An extensive Google search for RAF Sioux cockpit photos has so far drawn a blank so far.

Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Cockpit bubble nearly there:

Started with the fuselage framework and installed the engine:

Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

It's all starting to come together:

Bluesteel

Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Great work here. The cockpit is very well done, the belts look good. Engine looks great too.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Very nice work and an interesting scheme too. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Fuselage and most of the specific RAF type gubbins now attached, just a couple of strobes and aerials to do at the end of the build. Now working on main and tail rotors. The nose glazing is now going through the Klearing process while I work out the best way to paint Dayglo Orange onto the canopy framing, which will probably be the hardest part of the whole build.

Bluesteel

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Great work, that dayglo looks brilliant. What's your cunning plan for the canopy, base coat of white followed by dayglo?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Whirlybirds IV”