Dazzled's Wocka

Yet another attempt to persuade rationale people these things actually can fly ....
Runs December 1st to 31st.
GB Leader is Lancfan.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Re: Dazzled's Wocka

Post by Migrant »

Yes, that marker tip (haha) is really useful info; thanks!
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Will try that marker idea myself, the Chinook is coming along nicely.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

I've mustered some reluctant enthusiasm to have another go at the Chinook. It's getting to be one of those models that I don't want to share a bench with. Interesting subject and one I've fancied replicating in model form for some time but Airfix have made such a hash of this kit that it's just becoming a chore to work on and something of a black hole for modelling time.

Anyhow, this is the progress so far.

I finished filling the chasms in the fuselage halves, belly and rotor mountings and produced another small hill of sanding dust smoothing things off. Then I turned my attention to dealing with what passes for the seams on the engine nacelles. These, thankfully, only took one application of Citadel Green Stuff to fill in. After this was done I decided to fit them. Unsurprisingly, they didn't fit :evil: .

I had to remove a part of the moulded in fuselage mounting on both sides. It was "designed" like this?

And, when I got them securely fitted with gap filling cyano glue I found these...

Not so much seams as trenches. They're so big I'm surprised they're not topped with sandbags. And what's even more galling is that they don't even match any seams on the real aircraft. Some idiot decided that the best way to mount the nacelles was to arbitrarily stick some huge canoe shaped foot on each one and have it not fit in a different sized hole in the fuselage....and then repeated it on the other side :evil: .

What would've been so difficult about a simple tab and slot under the nacelle pylon. That would have been neat and easy to conceal. Honestly, I've built limited run garage kits that would put this to shame.

Anyway, I filled the canyons with Mr Surfacer 500 and I'm waiting for it to dry. I might wait a very long time :sad:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

You have my sympathy (and admiration) for continuing with this, I am sure it will be worth all the hard work and anguish in the end.

As the Matchbox one is just as bad does anyone do a decent Chinook?
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Apart from Matchbox and Airfix there are kits in1/72nd by Revell, Italeri and Trumpeter that I know of.

Whether they're any good or not I have no idea but nothing from a mainstream producer can be as bad as this .
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

A bit of nosing around online tells me that this abomination is a reboxing of the Italeri kit.

That's another one to avoid!
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Whirlybirds IV”