Martin's Christmas Cracker(s)

The Secret Santa GB for 2013. Gifts are on the sleigh, or maybe already arrived, to be opened on December 25th, with the build running until January 31st.
Come join the merriment !!!
GBL is the Management.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Martin's Christmas Cracker(s)

Post by Old_Tonto »

The Hurricane looks very nice Martin as does the Spitfire interior.

You sound like you know what you are talking about when it come to Hurricanes so I have a question for you.

I want to do a BoB Hurricane in 1/72 scale. Which kit would you recommend?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Old_Tonto wrote:The Hurricane looks very nice Martin as does the Spitfire interior.

You sound like you know what you are talking about when it come to Hurricanes so I have a question for you.

I want to do a BoB Hurricane in 1/72 scale. Which kit would you recommend?
Clearly reading the "Bluffers Guide to Hurricanes" has paid off! :-D Seriously, O_T, most of what I know about early Hurricanes comes from reading the various Aviation threads on Britmodeller. Those guys collectively know lots about just about everything.

So, 1/72nd BoB Hurricanes, then. We're talking Mk Is, with 8 .303s in the wings. I believe that the vast majority (all?) of the first line Hurricanes in the BoB would have had metal wings. So, to give you most choice in modelling a particular Hurricane, you probably need a metal wing variant. The following

Revell Hurricane Mk I - doesn't really look like a Hurricane and is quite crude; out of production.

Airfix old-tool Hurricane Mk I - looks really good in shape, but relatively simplistic construction (eg exhausts moulded integrally with each fuselage half)

Hasegawa Hurricane Mk I - out of production; rare - and you pay for it. More detailed than the Airfix kit but not super-detailed; some say the fabric effect on the fuselage is over-accentuated.

And - er that's it from the mainstream manufacturers to my knowledge. For me, I'd have the Airfix kit. It'd look good oob and with a bit of TLC, I bet it could look really special. I think Andrew R made one on his Workbench Window in the past couple of years.

I'm sure some of the other members will be in with more options.

regards,

Martin
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Yes I did Martin, and it's still a good kit. Raised panel lines aside, you need to box in the wheelbays. I have another one in the stash which is destined for the Hurricane GB. :) Definitely recommended OT. Some of the new boxings with Irish Air Corps markings have short shot prop blades, so watch for that. Things in the pre-red box era should be okay.

The build thread is very long and rambling (what's new :-D ) but comes to a conclusion on the Hurricane build here:

http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/13659/ ... ay?page=21;

Cheers

Andrew
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, the "old-tool" Airfix Hurricane I is quite good.

I converted one to a fabric-wing with 2-blade prop - how's that Martin ? :ha:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

jRatz wrote:Yes, the "old-tool" Airfix Hurricane I is quite good.

I converted one to a fabric-wing with 2-blade prop - how's that Martin ? :ha:
Perfectly hunky-dory, old chap; especially if you gift me the unused Rotol prop and metal wings :ha:

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

OK, so I needed a modelling fix to destress after a somewhat hectic day. I did a bit more assembly on the IP, then did some detailed painting of the 'pit, and ended up here:

I am pretty chuffed at the way this came up; of course the finesse of the resin helped a lot, but also simple things that I normally can't be bothered with, like:

- washing the resin bits before painting,
- ensuring a gloss finish before adding Tamiya smoke,
- ensuring a matt finish before dry-brushing.

Of course, then the critical question. Would it fit? Well, in general, yes:

Of course, you can't see anything much of the interior now. That's a good lesson for the future! You also can't see in my artfully posed shot that I lost the control column while fitting the cockpit bottom. Just as well really because there's no space for it between the seat and the IP!

Still, in this scale, noone's going to notice it. I'm claiming a moral victory as I managed to make it fit, and I got the stupidly fine PE seatbelts on without throwing them away in a rage; a result that didn't seem at all inevitable earlier in the evening . . .

regards,

Martin
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Prop is here somewhere, wings became fabric ....

Here it is with ribbing just on and new gun bays, before I sanded ribbing down ...

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Both looking good Martin :)
Up in the Great White North
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

jRatz wrote:Prop is here somewhere, wings became fabric ....

Here it is with ribbing just on and new gun bays, before I sanded ribbing down ...

John,

That looks rather splendid. The subtle thing that caught my eye was your modification to the exhaust stacks. Nice!

regards,

Martin
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, a bit of time with a sharp knife and a small file - and the ventral strake is gone also.

The ribs are actually Archer Fine Transfers decal weld lines for 1/35 scale - they are a small strip of resin encased in a decal film and turn out to be quite sandable after the decal is set.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Folks,

I am grabbing the chance of a weekend's extension gratefully. I know I need the decals for the Series 1 boxing of the Hurri (which is not yet out) but I'll get the build as finished as I possibly can, notwithstanding. Last night the radio aerial was added and I did the canopy framing. That needs another coat tonight, but I'll get some photos of the latest greatest state of play in due course.

BTW, when the next boxing of the Mk I does come out, I'll use the decals from it on this build and then I'll have an essentially complete Series 2 kit left over (I have all the decals from the current edition (sans IP), plus instructions and colour schemes, plus the extra 'early' sprue for the Belgian option). Does anyone want this package? If so, PM me and we'll work out a price.

The Spitfire has had wodges of filler added and I'll rub this down tonight; I've also modified the elevators to the later type with the larger horn balance. A bit of token scribing on the fuselage and then she'll be ready for priming. I'll get as far as I can by the end of the weekend, tho' she won't be finished.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

No worries, Martin - you can always finish them later.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

OK, that's as far as I want to go with the Messercane until I get my mitts on the decals: Radio aerial on; canopy framing done; spinner overpainted in a slightly less pale lemon shade.

The Spit has had a scoosh of primer but it's not very photogenic. I'll see where I can get with that tomorrow.

Thanks to my Secret Santa for supplying the kits, and apologies that I didn't finish them. To be fair, I've tried my best. I was just too ambitious at the start.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's a great looking Hurricane Martin and will look the business once its full decal set is on I'm sure. Bad luck on not being able to finish.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Yes, nice Hurri, Martin. Shame about the Spit, but we look forward to seeing it completed soon! 8-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Secret Santa 2013”