Sign-up and Chat

An "off the books" special GB for those wishing to build a model to support this children's charity. Normal GB guidelines are suspended in here.
Runs: 1st January 2014 to 1st April 2014. GB Leader is DirkPitt289
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sign-up and Chat

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This GB evolved from two separate posts by Dirk ( here and here in General Chat ) that I have extracted from below. Bottom line is that we'll make this space available to as a GB for this, but there are external sign-up and shipping instructions you need to follow.

This will not count as, or be subject to the rules of, a normal GB - just a space for folks to do their thing. I will leave it open through the auction if anyone wants to post what their model brought, if that info is available. I will archive it with other 2014 GBs, if desired.

Make your own threads and build away ...

Hi guys. As some might know I've joined an online modeling community on Google + called "Amazing Plastic." Amazing Plastic is a new, high quality scale modeling show and community spans the globe, bringing modelers of all types and skill levels together, featuring techniques, tips, and special guests from the scale modeling, film, and special effects industries. This type of show is the first of its kind, for all levels of builders both new and old. The Community/show is still in its infancy but growing fast. This will but the communities first attempt to take our skills and enjoyment of the hobby and give back to those in need.

Here is the info on the build as per the Amazing Plastic website.

Build a model and join in our auction to raise funds for The Jimmy Fund.

What is The Jimmy Fund you ask:

The Jimmy Fund solely supports Boston's Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, raising funds for adult and pediatric cancer care and research to improve the chances of survival for cancer patients around the world.

This year celebrates the 60th anniversary of the Jimmy Fund and Boston Red Sox relationship, and represents one of the most remarkable partnerships between a team and a charity in the history of professional sports. The Jimmy Fund is also the official charity of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge, and the Variety Children's Charity of New England. Since 1948, the generosity of millions of people has helped the Jimmy Fund save countless lives and reduce the burden of cancer for patients and families worldwide.

Our Charity build starts on January 1st, 2014 and ends on April 1st, 2014.

Here are the rules.

1. The model you choose can not have cost you more than $20.

2. You can not purchase aftermarket parts.

3. You can only use parts from your bits box to trick it out.

4. When your model is complete photograph it the best you can and send the photo's to info@amazingplastic.com. Put Jimmy Build in the subject line.

5. The auction will open Midnight (EST) on May 1st and will close June 30th, 2014 at Midnight (EST).

6. The buyer will assume the responsibility for shipping costs and the Builder will ship the finished model.

You have some time to search out that perfect model for the build so get started. Our goal is to raise money for this charity and give something back from modelers world wide.

If you are interested in taking part please drop Dirk a message or email Richard Cleveland at info@amazingplastic.com, and give him your information including the kit you plan to build. The more the merrier and of course the more we can make and give to the kids.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Thanks to John we are in business.

You can start your build threads here and be sure to join the Amazing Plastic community on Google + where you can also post your builds. This will allow Richard to know who's involved and track the builds. Its a fast growing community and it might also bring more meembers to this forum if you let them know where you heard about the event. The rules are posted above so please take a look at them again and let me or Richard know if you have any questions.

This is a great event and I'm glad to see we have so many people that want to be a part of it.

I'll be starting my thread shortly
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Sounds like an interesting idea, assuming anyone will want to buy something I've built...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I'll be along soon with my US Spitfires. I need to delve into Spitfire spares box to see what I have which will fit the Airfix kit.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

This build runs till April 1 so there is plenty of time
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

From a practical, shipping point of view, I'm wondering about the new Airfix Harrier - it will ship better in the fuselage and wing segments, for push-together assembly by recipient...

(also excuse for a new-tool airfix kit...)
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Brickie wrote:From a practical, shipping point of view, I'm wondering about the new Airfix Harrier - it will ship better in the fuselage and wing segments, for push-together assembly by recipient...

(also excuse for a new-tool airfix kit...)
Excellent "In the box" thinking there :-D
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

We're coming up on the end of the build period. Given that Andrew and I have, or in my case, are extremely likely to have, models completed in time, I'm beginning to take an interest in the procedures for actually selling them off. How and where will the auctions be run? What arrangements are going to be used to pass around money from the buyers to the various recipients (value of the kit to the Jimmy fund, shipping costs to the builders/shippers)?

Dirk, as "local representative" of the organisation, could you explain the relevant procedures?
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:This build runs till April 1 so there is plenty of time
Famous last words! :grin:
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Tic toc time is running out fast
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

The deadline for this build has been extended to the end of April to allow more people to complete their projects. Also if anyone feels they could start and finish one before the of the month you're more then welcome to join in. Its for a great cause.
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:The deadline for this build has been extended to the end of April to allow more people to complete their projects.
Wimps! Slackers! We should dock their pay for this. Oh wait, we're not getting paid.. :ha:
Also if anyone feels they could start and finish one before the of the month you're more then welcome to join in. Its for a great cause.
No extra's from me I'm afraid, I've been pushing back a few other projects and some real life stuff, and those are going to demand their dues in the near future :roll:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

So, we'll leave this here through 30 June so our builders can make some note when their model is won.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:The deadline for this build has been extended to the end of April to allow more people to complete their projects.
So, is anyone actually making good use of that extra time? I see several incomplete builds up here, and yet, no new posts reporting any progress in all of April...
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The extanded deadline has come and gone. That means it's time to repeat my earlier question: what happens next, and how is what happens next going to be organised?

Return to “Jimmy's Fund Charity GB”