CBK SIG 2014 Display Words & Pictures

Theme, what theme!? Just great CBKs.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: CBK SIG 2014 Display Words & Pictures

Post by PaulBradley »

My parents took my daughter to see it, while I was at Telford - she was awed by it all. I wish I could have had time, but we were only in the country for 9 days. But we'll be ordering one of the poppies later.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Zee28 »

I left my office just before 11am on the 11th and walked to the Tower for the two minutes silience. It was so moving, literally tens of thousands of people all around the tower in complete and total silence. The city of London just fell completely silent, it was truly amazing.

Anyway, a bit off-topic, sorry.

Zee28
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

PaulBradley wrote:And thank you too, Ratch, nice to see you again. :grin:
Indeed it was Paul :-D I shall be touching base again with James and the crew at Cosford in April :razz:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
chrism

Post by chrism »

Just a short line from me ... thank you all for your hospitality and evening company which was appreciated. I have got the hotel booked again for next year now, and will remember the tip James gave me for coping with a lumpy mattress.

Glad you all enjoyed helping eat the cake I brought up, and I will be making one again next year - it has sort of become a tradition now - this was the 3rd year I'd done it.

Look forward to seeing you all again next year and hope my services for reuniting "left behind jackets and owners" will not be called into use again.

Regards, Chris
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Thanks again for rescuing the jacket. :oops: It was nice to meet you, Chris, and thanks for the cake - it was delicious! :-D

I haven't had a lot of time to relax since I got home, but I shall post some photos and quick report from my perspective over the weekend.
Paul

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

With apologies for repetition of any subjects you've already seen, here are some of my photos of the CBK table:

One of mine on the Locate and Cement tables - the theme for SMW was "Yellow" this year...

... which extended to Desert Yellow so I had my Academy 1/25th Jagdpanther out as well.

My modest haul from the show this year. The Revell 1/48 A-6E Intruder was still bagged, and contained additional decals, two Quickboost metal seats and an Eduard Etch Detail set - all for £10.00 in the Kit Swap.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Great photos Al, thanks for posting.

Zee
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi james
are you likely to need any more models for the display at huddersfield(1/76 matcbox and airfix amour),i know the table at telford was pretty full but with some of the southern members possibly not attending there may be spaces to fill.
craig
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Hi Craig, yes for sure. Tom's models won't be there so they will be some extra space and we can also kick a few over to Cold War SIG if necessary ;-) Small scale armour is always good as you don't see a lot of it at shows.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

A brief report from me - I'll be doing a write-up for Classic Plastic and took lots of shots of classic kits for inclusion that I can't show here. :sad: It also seems pointless duplicating the photos that others have posted of our stand, so no stand shots, except this one - CAPTION CONTEST TIME! :ha:

I arrived in Telford at just after 2, got checked into the hotel (The Premier Inn Southwater, which is located a mere 100 yards from the TIC), dropped off my bags, had a quick refresh, then down to the TIC for set-up. Getting in was easy all three days, just a short wait on Sunday morning to get in round the back at 8. Here's what the hall looked like at 3pm Friday:

CBK was located close to the entrance for Hall 1, not far from Airfix and back-to-back with AMSIG. We had a lot of models on the tables in the end, so much so that we didn't have space for all the extras I'd brought - but they are safely in James' hands for future use. It was a pleasure to work with James, Tom, Iain and Al on the stand all weekend - thanks for the welcome, guys! I enjoyed your company for our evenings out as well. 8-) I consumed more alcohol in 3 nights than in the previous 3 years....! :lol:

We had a constant stream of visitors pretty much the whole weekend, and I got to meet some forum members and also some of my Classic Plastic contributors. I had a pretty sore throat come Monday morning!

I had some shopping in mind before arriving and was able to pick up just about everything on my list - the sheer quantity of vendors is remarkable. I was very restrained in my kit buying, due to space restrictions, but went to town on aftermarket stuff - lots of decals, resin and PE found their way back to the US.... Also picked up some books, including my Buy of the Show - an all-colour "coffee table" photo book on the Croatian Air Force that I'd been looking for, normally selling for around the $50-70 mark online, and bought from a well-known aviation bookshop's bargain table for a mere 5 quid!! :shock: Cue deep joy and much covert fist-pumping.....

Once again, the SIG and club stands were a brilliant showcase for the hobby. A huge variety of themes and models on show - here's a couple that caught my eye:

IPMS Southampton's mind-boggling Mulberry harbour diorama..... :shock: :shock:

A brilliant idea - I forget the stand.

And everyone's favourites:

Finally, some shots of the new Airfix kits:

All in all, I had a terrific time - SMW really is the biggest and the best model show in the world.

BTW, I'd also like to mention Martin Rosa - he lives in the same town as my parents, so we went for a pint and a chinwag on Thursday evening; we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. 8-)
Paul

Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Great report Paul, and interesting photos too. I saw that Hunter going through Tower Bridge at Hornchurch in March, brilliant, it's a great story too - for those unfamiliar, it's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hun ... e_incident;

Thanks for the photos of the new Airfix kits, it's good to see them in the flesh (well, plastic). Its strange, they seem so neatly tooled that from the photos I'd think the Defiant is 1/48 or something, they look so much bigger than 1/72.

Of course, the only time ever in my life that I've bought some resin was, naturally, the correction set for the original Airfix Defiant, now redundant! Grrrr.

Glad you enjoyed the show, as you did travel a bit further than most of us!

Zee28
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

What is the scale of HMTS Olympic?

Dai
Living in the land where the crows fly backwards!
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.

Return to “SMW 2014 - Display”