2014 Display theme idea...

Theme, what theme!? Just great CBKs.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

2014 Display theme idea...

Post by mattbacon »

...I know, I know, My First CBKs has only just made its debut, and it'll be on tour for the next six months at least. I just wanted to get down an idea I had behind the table at Telford this year, and batted around a bit with the usual suspect.

"CBK SIG goes Plastic Modelling" or "CBK SIG visits the Library"

Back in the 70s, Chris Ellis wrote a couple of books called "How to Go Plastic Modelling" and "How to Go Advanced Plastic Modelling"... I'm sure many of us had copies or borrowed them from the library. Inside were a multitude of projects, and even a list of "50 great kits that you should build". The idea would be to build kits or projects that featured in one of these books -- there's plenty of scope for OOB builds as well as conversions etc. In fact, I'm not restricting it to the two Chris Ellis books: I'm suggesting a build based on these, or any of the PSL Airfix Modelling Guides, or any of the Airfix Modelling annuals (their presence on the table were a real inspiration). The are probably other Classic British Modelling books that could be added to our library shelf as well.

Anyway, now it's out there!

bestest,
M.
feanor
Active Participant

Re: 2014 Display theme idea...

Post by feanor »

Ayup Matt...

I like the 'Visits the Library' tag. Each build with the relevant photocopied page ? Maybe arranged on replica shelves ?
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

...ay, ay, you're meant to give your beloved leader a break till Christmas at least! But since you raise the subject...Iain (ejsnotgrass) and I came up with another two ideas on the train home:

Iain's idea is to do a model shop window of yore with lot of built kits and box art to tempt you in.

My idea is a kids bedroom with the ceiling hung full of CBKs and shelves of tanks, trains and toy soilders.

Matt's idea is very good though as primarily it gives us a list to work to so everyone can see where we are going with it.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

How about a gate guardians / museum or restored display.

We all build a kit to look like it's on displayed alongside a photo of the real item.

That would open it up to a/c ships tanks cars bikes and trains.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I like Matt's idea. I have a few of the Modelling Guides, and most of the Annuals; I also have three of the Classic Aircraft and How to Model Them series that went with the Superkits. There are some very interesting conversion projects in these books, relevant even today. I'm sure I could make 2 or 3 to go on the table, and, as I'm hoping to attend, I can bring a few of the books as well if necessary.

An idea that I had was CBK does WWI. I know, 'everyone' will be doing WWI, but we can add that special CBK touch by utilizing all the great kits Airfix put out, as well as those by Revell and others. There's scope for aircraft, tanks, figures and the odd ship as well. Not forgetting Airfix's classic Old Bill bus....The plastic figures would be suited for a diorama, and we can add all the usual supporting materials. We might be able to work out a 3D aerial diorama.......
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I've got Chris Ellis' books, most the Guides, and all 8 Annuals .... I like conversions, as long as we don't get all Alan Hall-ish about it and we just present the converted model without looking at how ....

As for WW1, I just got a book on Light Patrol Cars, so any number of Ford T's can be built ... probably find articles on it in the books above.

Of the two James mentioned, I think I like the store front better than the bedroom.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

PaulBradley wrote:An idea that I had was CBK does WWI. I know, 'everyone' will be doing WWI, but we can add that special CBK touch by utilizing all the great kits Airfix put out, as well as those by Revell and others. There's scope for aircraft, tanks, figures and the odd ship as well. Not forgetting Airfix's classic Old Bill bus....The plastic figures would be suited for a diorama, and we can add all the usual supporting materials. We might be able to work out a 3D aerial diorama.......
My issue with doing WWI is that the majority of planes were bi-planes (yes there were Eindeckers) - which some people won't touch and neither Matchbox or Frog really did many, if any WWI subjects. Also the IPMS (UK) main SMW will be WWI and if people want to build WWI for the show I suggest they get involved with that.

I strongly feel that our theme should be about Classic British Kits themselves, rather than applying CBKs to a "generic" theme. I know this makes it harder to come up with an idea but if we did WWI next year it would take an expert to differentiate us from any other WWI display.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup James...

I like the shop idea. with a design like that 'Modellers Den' thing that was in Hall 3 ? with an actual plastic 'Window' for folks to drool through ?
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

PaulBradley wrote:...as well as those by Revell and others.
Revell, REVELL, REVELL - are you insane man? That that back, take it back at once, do you hear me?! (However, see below.)
JamesPerrin wrote: I strongly feel that our theme should be about Classic British Kits themselves, rather than applying CBKs to a "generic" theme.

Hear, hear!

OK, I'll show my cards up front. Firstly, Classic British Box Art #3 - still loads to choose from and a great chance to get away from purely aeroplanes - I'm fancying the 1/12th Bengal Lancer, The Golden Hind, tanks and figures and trains and dinosaurs and all manners of other such nonsense. The reason for this is whenever we displayed #1 and #2 we were almost constantly engaged by the visiting masses to discuss the display, which was delightful. My experience was that that element was almost totally lacking at SMW this year, and I missed it :sad:

Second idea is Revell (UK) - there, I said it! It has been poo-pooed for so long but many of the kits were made here if not tooled here (only one I know of for sure), so the rule would be that if it says Made in England (with Potters Bar address for example) on the box then it is in.

Of the ideas already mentioned, I've personally no interest in conversions and have none of the books mentioned. The shop window may have something going for it but would need planning and construction of some heavy shelving and framework from the sound of it if it is to literally be a proper (unglazed for H&S reasons) vertical window. The hanging from the ceiling sounds interesting but how to achieve it? Also, by its nature will probably be aircraft-centric which I'd really like to avoid if possible. WWI - don't, just don't!

Whichever theme we choose, it must be obvious that CBKs are the theme, as James has mentioned.
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

It's OK, Al... you don't need to do any conversions...

For example, Chris Ellis's list reckons that the Revell 1/32 Mosquito is one of the great kits you should build, so you could just knock one of those together (in a Revell box-art diorama, should you so wish!)
Or the Airfix Annual (6, I think) I was looking at had a "Camouflage and Markings" type article for then newly-released Airfix 1/72 Dog-Sabre, which had a load of colourful options for straight out of the box builds.There's also a "HMS Cambelltown at St Nazaire" diorama which isn't a million miles from a Box-Art build

If there's any interest, I'm happy to knock together a list of possibilities based on ONE of the Chris Ellis books, and if someone else wanted to do the same from a sample Airfix Magazine Annual, then we'd maybe allay some worries and give a feeling for the variety...

bestest,
M.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

For my tuppence-worth..... (not being a member of the SIG and all)

We've discussed the bedroom idea before and the health and safety aspect raised it's ugly head regarding the structure that would be required to hang the aircraft from. I still think this is a go-er if you can get a stable structure and I think will probably get the best response from visitors of all the current suggestions. To allay James' fears I think that if you made this into a corner of a room (but not with a 90 degree angle) you would have plenty of space for some 'bookcases' holding tanks, trains, figures, ships, boxes and publications and so on while still having aircraft hanging between them. But then this would require a lot of 'transport space' in peoples cars.

CBK SIG goes to the library - I guess this would require a copy of a classic modelling book, which us younger modellers are unlikely to have. This could cut down on the numbers of contributors.

The same could be said for Classic British Artwork but at least the artwork is available online and can be constructed that way. Of course you'll still need a box to sit next to the completed work.

The shop window is a good idea but would probably be more boxes than models. Is this a good thing? Plus you have the same health and safety rubbish as with the bedroom.

Gate Guardians? Intersting. CBKs of classic aircraft. It can be contributed to by many as there's plenty of resource available but would this turn a CBK SIG display into a Gate Guardian SIG display? Does that get the CBK messge across?

Revell UK? It's one that hasn't had its own display yet. Plenty for people to contribute with. Easily displayed. But easily confused with Revell Germany (for us youngsters!).

Should we have another Airfix display? Is there another cover with as much as the '77 catalogue? Another Matchbox display?
Whatever is decided the display itself should not be flat. It needs to have some height to it. It would make it a lot more visually appealing to the visitors. Think about how other tables had their models displayed.

As usual, I'm more than happy to supply models and hope to actually make it to next years show!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Ian wrote: CBK SIG goes to the library - I guess this would require a copy of a classic modelling book, which us younger modellers are unlikely to have. This could cut down on the numbers of contributors.
No need to own any books, Ian... I'm sure that those of us who do have copies of CMBs can generate the relevant lists of potential projects to choose from (It's only a matter of reading an index page in most cases!), and provide any necessary info to interested parties...

bestest,
M.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

While I agree that it would difficult to come up with a more attention grabbing theme than the CBK Box-art displays which have direct appeal to both modellers, non-modellers, and SWMBOs in the interpretation from 2D into 3D, Matt's CBK in the library has a certain appeal (says he from the bottom of the planet and who never finishes a build).

I've just had a look through my collection of Airfix Annuals (1-7 less 3), Classic Aircraft #3 P-51 Mustang, Airfix Manual for Aircraft Modellers, and Airfix Guide #3 Military Modelling, and IMHO there is scope within the articles to cover a broad range of modelling skills and interests (lots of aircraft, quite a few AFVs and vehicles, a few boats and ships) to either duplicate one of the conversion articles or to replicate one of the colour schemes in one of the articles. I would think that the theme would be limited to only those articles with some modelling content and not simply replicating one of the reference photos of the real thing.

To broaden the scope, we could set a cut-off date of perhaps 1980 and allow any modelling article from any modelling magazine before this date. It would be up to the management committee whether this might include other classic kits, as some of the classic boxart displays have, or constrain it solely to CBKs...ditto for scale...I think it would be OK to replicate the article in one's scale of choice.

Display props might include quantities of talcum powder, balsa, sewing pins, sprue for stretching complete with candle, plastic card, and comprehensive spares boxes....no resin, or photo etch but white metal is OK (extra points for home-cast parts)...

In keeping with the spirit of the original, the standard of close enough is good enough will apply and rivet counters will not be allowed within 20 metres of the display...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

How about Decade the Sixties - models from the 60s, maybe representing significant events - moon landings, Vietnam, Minis, Beatles - plenty of iconic things to build there.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Sorry, Iain, I'm not so keen the shop idea - to have it feel authentic, we have to find mint boxes, magazines, etc. Also - what models would we include - those form a certain year or period? As pointed out above, the framing would have to be strong and sturdy - who's going to build it and get it there? Logistically, it might be a bit much.

Still liking Matt's idea a lot. Plenty of scope for everyone, and those of us with the books can list and supply articles for others to choose from...
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “SMW 2014 - Display”