Jaime's Oriental Hawker: ***COMPLETED***

UAMF's signature event.
Runs 1st February to March 2nd.
GB Leader is Jssel.
Jaime
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Jaime's Oriental Hawker: ***STARTED***

Post by Jaime »

So, upper surfaces and fuselage painted. Masking up and painting the underside to do next, so I'll be leaving it in this state for at least a couple of hours. The rocket pods and drop tanks are all already fitted together and painted as far as is possible, so it's probably now time for the weekly shop and some food.

Back later but here is the Hunter as it will remain till at least 10 O'clock.

Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

It looks great.
You seem to be enjoying your first blitz? :)
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

ShaunW wrote:This is coming together nicely now Jaime. Good to see the Paul Rodgers clip as well. I saw him a few years ago doing a Bad Company gig in Sheffield, he's still got a great voice.
Rock royalty! Saw him at The Colston Hall in Bristol a couple of years ago and he still had it then. I knew I was going to be posting a link to him singing The Hunter when I decided to build The Hunter for the Blitz!
Prisca wrote:I'm positively surprised you could paint the colors so quickly after eachother. They must dry fast at your house. It looks really good!
The green looks fine in the pics. :)
It really doesn't bear close scrutiny Prisca - and the metallic aluminium Humbrol 56 stipulated for the underside is even worse! I've had to sand it down on the rocket pods and apply a thinned down coat! :shock: Dreading how it will turn out on the underside. :???:
Ian wrote:Looking good, Jaime. Have you tried using a hairdryer (on low setting) to speed up your drying time? I've done this in the past and it's really helpful.
I'm using an alternative method.... Milo's breath will dry anything up! :-D

Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Hi Jaime.

A right proper blitz. Just got home and checking in.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

Prisca wrote:It looks great.
You seem to be enjoying your first blitz? :)
Thanks! :) I think I'm lucky that this is a great kit that is going together easily - I would not be coping so well if it was giving me problems.

Of course, there is the dreaded Humbrol 56 for the fuselage underside waiting to trip me up!
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

jssel wrote:Hi Jaime.

A right proper blitz. Just got home and checking in.
Cheers - just about to have dinner and will be back onto the Hunter some time around 10-ish.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Wow! Dogs so have a use after all!
Well done, Milo.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

I see Milo is doing his duty. You should dedicate this build to him. :-)
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

Masked up for the dodgy metallic underside. It could all go badly wrong from here...

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great stuff, this is coming along really well. Milo is ace, good to see him joining in! He looks very similar to my sister's dog. Jack Russells are great little dogs, full of character.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

ShaunW wrote:Great stuff, this is coming along really well. Milo is ace, good to see him joining in! He looks very similar to my sister's dog. Jack Russells are great little dogs, full of character.
I haven't taken him out today because of the Blitz and he's bored out of his mind! He keeps walking up to me and sighing. He just dropped this at my feet:

It's a hint that he would rather I was doing this with him:

Anyway, first coat on the fuselage underside is drying and looks better than I thought. It's metallic but very dull. I may even leave it as one coat but we'll see.

In the meantime, here are some photographs of hunters I took at RAF Cosford back in the Summer (remember what that is!?):

TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Nice looking paintwork.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:4 B:4 C:13
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

Finish better than expected, even if I should have left it at one coat!

But now for the moment of truth ... will the masking tape take off chunks of the camouflage?

Looks like I got away with it!

A bit of touching up to do now, then the canopy, then the decals and then the drop tanks etc.
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

Feeling a bit tired now - been at this for 13 and a half hours - and it's all gone quiet. No sleep till it's finished though!

theconfidencestoat
Active Participant

Post by theconfidencestoat »

Looking good Mate. Love the Hunter, never seen and Airfix one built. That's a Sabre in one of your Cosford pictures.

Return to “Blitzbau XIV”