UAMF's signature event.
Runs 1st February to March 2nd.
GB Leader is Jssel.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: The Planes ... The Planes ...

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Well, here we are, the Group Photo ....

I did cut open the sticker under Rochelle for the stand.

The stands give a nice nose-up attitude and could be modified for other use, which is probably what will happen with mine over time.

These are "good" kits, when you accept what they are - snap-tite & stickers. I have noted several times the detail on the kits, so they didn't skimp there, the engineering of the snap-tite stuff, and the over-all fit of things.

The kit boxes say not recommended under 3 but the parts are so small it would be silly to even suggest a 3-yr old, even under 6.
I'd say 6-7 is OK with parental help and 8-9 might be the lower range for solo, with supervision. There are small parts, motor skills are necessary. In several cases you have to manage several parts at once. Some strength is required snapping certain items, and some gentleness in other places to prevent snapping other parts. The stickers stick and can be almost impossible to reposition if put down firmly. For the purists in the crowd, and I know you are out there, some stickers overlap control surfaces and should be scored appropriately. Instructions are OK, but could some sequencing - "put this on before that". Fit is tight and one needs to carefully test so you can pull something apart and either open a hole or sand a pin/shaft down a bit - but not so much it looses tight-fit and you need glue. Do the fuselage/wings first, then the stickers, then add the gear, etc -- prevents unnecessary & unneeded damage.

But, you can have some fun with these - as some of you have noted, your kids want them. You get a little card with each one giving maneuver costs and there is some sort of board game available, so you can play after.

And as an adult, you just might want to do a little AMS-y thing on some of them -- some glue, some seam filling/sanding, replace stickers with paint, different schemes, etc .... If you were to do that, even a single one might make a good Blitz subject - they have as many parts, if not more, as some I've seen over the years.

I do wish they would do a few more - Bulldog, an English-theme DH.88, in particular. Also interesting would be Ned/Zed, Ishani, Leadbottom (biplane), and some of the cars (Brent Mushtangburger) and support equipment like forklifts, tugs, etc. Again, they'd be fun do do as "real models", glue & paint ....

Well, that's probably it for me and this Blitzbau, much of this month is tied up in other things and I probably couldn't have carved out one of my traditional "real days" to do something complex. I did enjoy these - SWMBO & I sat in the living room watching basketball, no fear of glue or paint spill, no pressure - I needed this, frankly.

Thanks for your support !!!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: The Planes ... The Planes ... *** Finished ***

Post by jssel »

Nice stuff John.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Yes, very different and very cool, John!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

The family is complete. Very nice, John. :)
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Those have turned out very well, a fun collection of smart looking little aeroplanes.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

An excellent piece John and hopefully will help guide a few mums and dads, and their kids.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

Very nice John. I also have looked at these once or twice but didn't get them as they say 1/100th scale. So, scale wise, what do you think?

Also would have liked to have seen markings for Echo in the Bravo kit so you could do both. If I get these will probably do a little extra and maybe make some decals for the markings.

I also would like to see the other planes get done but think they did 6 or so of the Cars from the last movie so probably won't get any more of these.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'd take "scale" with a grain of salt - they're fun, no more.

I do wonder if, with proper modeling, I could get away with them as an IPMS Collection :lol:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Jaime
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jaime »

Nice - my nephew would like these :-)
Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
theconfidencestoat
Active Participant

Post by theconfidencestoat »

Lots of fun John, these look great!
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Great fun, John. A nice collection!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....

Return to “Blitzbau XIV”