Giulio's Whirlwind

For twin prop-engine aircraft used in the air-air combat role. Any era, any kit, any scale.
Runs 1st February to 2nd March.
GB Leader is Chris.
giulio_gobbi
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Giulio's Whirlwind

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Ladies and gentlemen, here is my idea. :)

I Have two 1/72 Kits of this nice, innovative and underrated aircraft, Airfix CBK and an Italian Kit From Polystil.

Airfix is more accurate in shape and scale, but props, spinners and wheels of the "Italian Brother" are much better.
So, whit a little cross-kit, I think I'll get a nice reproduction of this fighter.

I am an admirer of W.E.W. Petter, he was a genius.

This is my subject, the famous HE-V (love the heavy weathered planes ;-) )

I believe that the primer that appear under the camo paint, is light grey.
On "Warpaint", I found this picture of the prototype, and the caption describes it as painted in light gray primer.
My hypothesis is correct, or I make a huge error?
Someone can help me?

Regards.
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Giulio's Whirlwind

Post by JamesPerrin »

I expect many have not seen the Polystil before, including myself and would like so see some sprue shots comparing it to the Airfix kit please. :grin:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

JamesPerrin wrote:I expect many have not seen the Polystil before, including myself and would like so see some sprue shots comparing it to the Airfix kit please. :grin:
You must wait until 1st Feb. :) :) :) :) :)
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Well, I don't know if i will be able to complete the model , before the closing date. :oops:

Comparing with "Warpaint" scale drawings, Airfix is very accurate.
It's juas a bit too short about 1mm in the nose.

Today i rescribed al the panels and start to assembly fuselage and wings:

As you can see, the nacelles fit, it's not the "strongpoint" of the Airfix kit.

Now the comparison with his "Italian brother", the Polistyl.

If we imagine the comparison, like a boxing match, Airfix would have won by technical knockout in the first round!
The tail is wrong in scale and shape, the nacelles are heavy undersized, the canopy is wrong.
Only spins and props are much better than Airfix.

This is the Polistyl Whirwind:

BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

So if we were to combine the two kits together, we would get a much more Westland whirlwind model? It seems like a good idea to me. Although, I wouldn't know where are how to do so!

Nice work so far.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Agree about the engine nacelles on the Airfix kit. Much fettling required.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Titan

Post by Titan »

A good start giulio and I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the cross kitting.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Post by Chris »

Off to a flying start!
Honcho of ASMMF
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Rainy Sunday passed to filling and sanding and filling and sanding ........ the nacelles now looks much better.

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

They do indeed, Giulio; I'd never heard of the Polistil kit before.

I think James Perrin built the Airfix kit way back on the old uamf forum; it was that build that prompted me to join. If I recall correctly, he drilled out the front of the exhaust fairings. Although the resulting hole was a circle instead of a semi-circle, the inner half was hidden by the spinner. It looked really good, as I remember.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Martin R wrote:They do indeed, Giulio; I'd never heard of the Polistil kit before.

I think James Perrin built the Airfix kit way back on the old uamf forum; it was that build that prompted me to join. If I recall correctly, he drilled out the front of the exhaust fairings. Although the resulting hole was a circle instead of a semi-circle, the inner half was hidden by the spinner. It looked really good, as I remember.

regards,

Martin
Thank you Martin, I've drilled-out the rear part of the exhaust, (not visible in the picture).
For the front, I didn't know that was a circle hidden by the spinner! Very Thanks again! :)
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I have not built this kit for many a year and do want to build an accurate model for the collection so will watch with interest as I was not aware of the Polistil kit.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Nice work. The nacelles are looking very good. So far you are winning the Whirlwind race :)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

giulio_gobbi wrote:
Martin R wrote:They do indeed, Giulio; I'd never heard of the Polistil kit before.

regards,

Martin
Thank you Martin, I've drilled-out the rear part of the exhaust, (not visible in the picture).
For the front, I didn't know that was a circle hidden by the spinner! Very Thanks again! :)
linky http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/8778;

I don't think intakes are circular on the real thing, it's just far easier to drill round holes than semi-circular ones :mrgreen:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

JamesPerrin wrote:
linky http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/8778;

I don't think intakes are circular on the real thing, it's just far easier to drill round holes than semi-circular ones :mrgreen:
This trick helps me too much! :)
Thank you for the link, we have filled and sanded in the same zones. :)

Return to “Twin prop-engine Fighters GB”