despondman's Eduard Bf110 Nightfighter **Finished**

For twin prop-engine aircraft used in the air-air combat role. Any era, any kit, any scale.
Runs 1st February to 2nd March.
GB Leader is Chris.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: despondman's Eduard Bf110

Post by ShaunW »

Oh wow, that is a great looking kit D-Man. The cockpit interior knocks that of the Airfix kit into a cocked hat, very impressive for the scale. There's plenty on those sprues for the spares box too.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Wow, that's a fab cockpit, great work.

Cheers
Jim
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

The interior looks very finely detailed. Weird sprue layout for the canopies. I've never seen anything moulded that way before.

David
despondman
Active Participant

Post by despondman »

Not a massive amount done in week 2 but here is how it is looking.

Easy going up to this point, but have started work on the undercarriage which is a little bit fiddly.
I am working up to doing the canopy which is in 8 parts, have to decide whether to do it open or closed.
The colour scheme is not that inspiring with an all over RLM 76 Light Blue, so I will probably look to do something a little more interesting, most likely like this one at the RAF museum at Hendon http://plane-crazy.k-hosting.co.uk/Airc ... /Me110.htm
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Very nice work.
I hope you go with that scheme you linked to. Will be a beautiful choice on a beautiful plane.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Great work D-man. That interior just blows the Airfix attemp clean out of the water. :lol:

In fact the whole kits looks far better in layout & options. I was happy with my Airfix kit until I saw this. :sad:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Those nacelle joins look like the don't join too well, is that a trick of the light?
There are some cool schemes for the g.

Cheers
Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That looks great now it's coming together D-Man, the cockpit interior is very effective.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Looking really good.
Really nothing pithy to say.
despondman
Active Participant

Post by despondman »

Jagewa wrote:Those nacelle joins look like the don't join too well, is that a trick of the light?
Your quite right, a bit of filler needed. Not sure if I messed up here or not because so far everything else has fitted so well.
This kit has a pretty detailed cockpit and the canopy is in 8 parts to allow you to leave various sections open.
Now that is great if it is what you want, but if not makes for a lot of extra work. Here is the canopy with the last piece yet to be put in place,

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

D-man,

She's coming together nicely, chap, but that canopy does look like it needs some care in assembly. :shock:

One thing, though: check the instructions for the orientation of the exhaust dampers. I believe that 3 out of the 4 should exhaust above the wing, with the one that's below the one that would interfere with the intake on the starboard nacelle.

regards,

Martin
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

I think I saw a review of the 48th scale Eduard 110 with the same fit issues with the nacelles.
Eight parts to the canopy! Well done in wrangling then on.
Cheers
Jim
despondman
Active Participant

Post by despondman »

Martin R wrote:One thing, though: check the instructions for the orientation of the exhaust dampers. I believe that 3 out of the 4 should exhaust above the wing, with the one that's below the one that would interfere with the intake on the starboard nacelle.
Funny you should mention that. I noticed in photos exactly what you describe, including the photos of the Hendon museum Bf110 that I link to earlier in the thread. However the instructions do have all 4 exhausts under the wing, and I think I trebled checked it after seeing the photos. The kit does include the over the wing exhausts, it seems to include the parts for all of Eduard's 1/72 Bf110s, but the instructions clearly show that they are not to be used in this build. So maybe Eduard got it wrong. Too late for me to change anyway.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

despondman wrote:
Martin R wrote:One thing, though: check the instructions for the orientation of the exhaust dampers. I believe that 3 out of the 4 should exhaust above the wing, with the one that's below the one that would interfere with the intake on the starboard nacelle.
Funny you should mention that. I noticed in photos exactly what you describe, including the photos of the Hendon museum Bf110 that I link to earlier in the thread. However the instructions do have all 4 exhausts under the wing, and I think I trebled checked it after seeing the photos. The kit does include the over the wing exhausts, it seems to include the parts for all of Eduard's 1/72 Bf110s, but the instructions clearly show that they are not to be used in this build. So maybe Eduard got it wrong. Too late for me to change anyway.
Ah, now you mention it, I seem to remember some 110Gs did have 'straight through' exhaust dampers. :oops: In my defence, I think these were fairly rare. Anyway, mea culpa! I'll just let you get on with it, without showing my ignorance again. :lol:

regards,

Martin
despondman
Active Participant

Post by despondman »

Thought I'd just post a few photos to show the current state of play.

Return to “Twin prop-engine Fighters GB”