David's Postwar Matchbox Mossie NF - Dropping out. Sorry.

For twin prop-engine aircraft used in the air-air combat role. Any era, any kit, any scale.
Runs 1st February to 2nd March.
GB Leader is Chris.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: David's Postwar Matchbox Mossie NF

Post by DavidWomby »

I am thinking I am not going to make the deadline on this one as I have to be away from home all next week for work. Don't you hate how work and household duties get in the way of the important stuff!

My latest dilemma. I don't like either of the gilled exhaust shrouds much. I have two choices (no, I won't be scratchbuilding my own). The Magna ones for the Sea Hornet are nice and plump but too few gills and a bit short. The Hi-Tech ones from their 2-stage Merlin set are a bit skinny looking but have the right number of gills and are a tad longer.

I think it will have to be the Hi-tech ones. Opinions or suggestions are welcomed! (I have 2 sets of the Hornet ones had thought of cutting a section out of the second set to extend the Hornet ones to the right number of gills but I don't want to waste them and doubt I'd get the parts all lined up nicely).

David
DavidWomby

Re: David's Postwar Matchbox Mossie NF - Dropping out. Sorr

Post by DavidWomby »

Sorry but there's no way I can finish this in time. I have to travel all next week. I like these GBs because they make me keep going at a reasonable pace but it's a problem for me doing GBs because I am typically away from home every other week at least Monday to Thursday. I want to try the Hurricane GB but will probably just try to get this finished instead.

Anyway - some progress to report.

The Mbox fighter canopy looks very wide compared to Airfix but that I can live with and it has to be to cover the opening in the kit. It also looks very hump backed - much too high at the rear. So I sanded as much off as I dare.

Mbox at bottom.

Mbox on left.

The canopy is not attached but is on there to check the shape. I attached the Hi-Tech resin gilled exhaust shrouds. Lots of small gaps to fill there. Added the little thing that sticks out of the leading edge of the fin that Mbox forgot and added the wing antennae from brass rod. I've primed it which revealed a bit of cleanup needed here and there.

I had intended using Freightdog decals for an 85 Squadron machine but today I realised that I can't find a single pic of a postwar UK-based NF.36 carrying drop tanks. The Middle East Air Force squadrons carried them but I don't have decals for those (yet ;-) ).

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

So close! Ah, well - she'll look great when you do finish.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

David,

She's looking good. Don't worry about the deadline, we'll see her when she's done.

Also, regarding canopies, the Airfix one is about 4mm too long, so I'd say Matchbox is about right on length. It perhaps should be a tad higher at the front though.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks, gents.

I'll keep going on the Mossie as it's looking pretty good to me now. I found today I have a nice set of Aeroclub metal props for it that will greatly improve its appearance (actually I found I have 3 sets of them). I will take advantage of the lack of a deadline to get some other stuff and have ordered a vac canopy for it that I hope is better shaped. I haven't decided yet but I may also buy the Freightdog decals Brits Abroad Pt3 so I can do one carrying the drop tanks.

David

Return to “Twin prop-engine Fighters GB”