John's incredibly ugly Ka-14 *Finished*

For those 'tween war aircraft -- January 1919 to August 1939 -- military or civilian. Any kit, any scale.
Runs 1st February to 2nd March.
GB Leader is Chuck Finley.
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: John's incredibly ugly Ka-14

Post by johnsan »

Yeah. Inks in Future. The prop blades are Gaia EX-07. Enamel washes don't stick to EX-07. They just wipe off when dry. They're very flat also while the Future wash is glossy.
Really nothing pithy to say.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

The engine is almost finished. I just need to add the exhausts.

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Those Gaia metallic colors look great! Much less grainy than any metallics I use
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

I think it's like Drewe was saying elsewhere, the Metallic Master thinner has magical properties,
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

johnsan wrote:Been working on the engine. FM provides a very nice molding that cries out for ignition wires.

The cowling and exhaust pipes are shown. They need to be added as does the manifold. The manifold is still in primer and needs its metal coat. Tomorrow.

The engine is looking really good. I was going to build one but HLJ sent my order to my parents and not my house.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Are you on such bad terms with your parents they won't send it to you? Maybe I don't want to know. ;-)

This really is a nice kit. I'd really like to build another, but this one is a 'one and done'.

Making progress. The engine is complete and just waiting to attach to a completed fuselage. The wings are glued together and the cockpit mostly complete. I decided not to add the pilot figure, but will use one of the seat packs included with the pilot figures. The instructions suggest using FM's ABS seat belts, but I think they'd overpower the seat, So, it's one of those seat cushions with molded on belts. They don't look half bad painted up.

Photos tomorrow,
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

johnsan wrote:Are you on such bad terms with your parents they won't send it to you? Maybe I don't want to know. ;-)

This really is a nice kit. I'd really like to build another, but this one is a 'one and done'.

Making progress. The engine is complete and just waiting to attach to a completed fuselage. The wings are glued together and the cockpit mostly complete. I decided not to add the pilot figure, but will use one of the seat packs included with the pilot figures. The instructions suggest using FM's ABS seat belts, but I think they'd overpower the seat, So, it's one of those seat cushions with molded on belts. They don't look half bad painted up.

Photos tomorrow,

Waiting for Spring Break. It's not like I don't have anything to build in the meantime. :)
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Oh, how well I know that 'anything to build in the meantime' thing. Sometimes that can get in the way. Having too much from which to choose.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Still building here. Got the interior put together and partially installed in the fuselage. Still need to add some bits and paints. Even got some photos to post. Tomorrow.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Interior parts painted:

They form a cage and fit into the fuselage very well. The combination of recessed joint and peg joint make for a very solid construction.

The throttle quadrant is molded to the one piece port lattice structure. The throttle handle looks very chunky. I cut it off and substituted a stretched sprue handle. A bit hard to see in this photo, but the new handle looks much better.

I've since glued the fuselage together. Fit is very good. I need to paint and add the machine guns prior to adding a cover and a rollover fairing. I've tested fit for these parts and expect no issues there. It's coming together quickly now.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Pretty good amount of detail in there, John. Looks as if it's a nice little kit, so far.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

This is a really nice kit. It's really a shame there was only one of these planes. I'd like to build a couple more of this kit, but...

Fit is really good. I only had to use a little Mr Surfacer 500 in a couple of places. The instructions for the kit are in the form of a magazine article with photos and drawings. The kit doesn't come with the clear lens covers on the wing tips. The instructions instruct you to remove the opaque plastic and replace with bits of clear sprue. This is what I've done here. I need to do this also with the tail light cover. I'll do this differently. The wing lights were glued, filed to shape, and polished in place. The tail light cover will be done with melted sprue pushed into a expoxy mold.

I've just washed the model. Tomorrow, I'll start painting. It's looking like this one will be finished this month and within the GB limits.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

johnsan wrote:This is a really nice kit. It's really a shame there was only one of these planes. I'd like to build a couple more of this kit, but...

Fit is really good. I only had to use a little Mr Surfacer 500 in a couple of places. The instructions for the kit are in the form of a magazine article with photos and drawings. The kit doesn't come with the clear lens covers on the wing tips. The instructions instruct you to remove the opaque plastic and replace with bits of clear sprue. This is what I've done here. I need to do this also with the tail light cover. I'll do this differently. The wing lights were glued, filed to shape, and polished in place. The tail light cover will be done with melted sprue pushed into a expoxy mold.

I've just washed the model. Tomorrow, I'll start painting. It's looking like this one will be finished this month and within the GB limits.

Looking good. I can't wait to see it finished.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

So, we're churning along here. Silver and red paint. Shiny. Me likey.

I need to do a little touchup to get rid of some red overspray. The windscreen is already painted. For that matter, all the small parts, excepting the wheels are ready to add.

The only problem I've had with this kit is that the carpet monster seems to developed new skills. I've spent more time trying to recover missing parts.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Omigosh! That's really nice!

Return to “'tween Wars Aircraft GB”