Every Man a Wildcat ! ** Finished **

Naval aircraft, any kit, any scale, any Navy, any era.
Runs March 1st to 31st. Your GBL is staff.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Every Man a Wildcat ! ** Finished **

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Despite a number of naval biplanes from WW1 & 'tween that I want to do, I really need to keep this simple, so I'll do the Revell(GB) 1/72 F4F-4 Wildcat in FAA markings.

This will be OOB, other than the decals for which I have a couple aftermarket options in the stash. I'll dig them out and photo them later. I think I may try to do this completely in Vallejo paints so I can get more used to them and brush-painting.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Every Man a Wildcat !

Post by Martin R »

Nice looking kit, John. I look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

regards,

Martin
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

That brings back memories of kits long gone, built a few examples of that kit a long, long time ago. Will watch with interest.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

Oh, yes please. This kit was one of the first I ever painted, brown & green mixed from gloss primary colours as per the box art, missed the bit where it showed the pale undersides so it got wrap around camo. :-D I picked up another of these recently to have another go though this one had the Cyclone engine rather than the Twin Wasp like yours & my original one. Maybe not the most accurate Wildcat about but a nice kit for all that. I'll be watching this build with a fair leavening of nostalgia. :)
Steve.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I started interior & detail painting today, not much to show. I'll be using (something like) US colors to simulate FAA, but not getting overly concerned about it ....

Looking at this kit in detail, it appears to have only 4 guns, not 6 - isn't that really an FM-1 ? Regardless, whichever markings I pick, I'm not going to count guns ....

And, I'll show pix tomorrow (maybe) but there are some interesting differences between the parts in the instructions and in the box -- specifically a different seat shape and the engine assembly ....
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Yes, the F4F-4 had 6 guns, the FM-1 (Wildcat V) had 4. The serials for JV-3xx also indicate Wildcat V and the engine looks like a Double Wasp, two rows of 7 cylinders.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm;
Up in the Great White North
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

The interesting thing to me is that my first one, had the Twin Wasp, though with rather more seperation between the cylinder banks that the real thing had, but a domed cuffless prop, which I still have & which is ear marked for a Canadian hurricane build as soon as Airfix realease a metal winged new tool Mk I. :grin: My next one with this boxing & I believe also one I have with USN markings, has a Cyclone with the stepped cuffed prop like Johns one & is the same engine prop combo as shown in the instructions with Johns one. Makes me wonder how many permutaions of these Revell had. :???:
Steve.

Edited to corrrect some abysmal proof reading.:(
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

It does look there could be two alternate sprues, if not two complete toolings, which get mixed up!
Up in the Great White North
Chris

Post by Chris »

There is a classic kit.
Honcho of ASMMF
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Nice choice John that box art brings back some memories, i remember building a Hawker sea fury that must have had the original prop blur from Frog.
BEEN A WHILE
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Speaking of FROG, I got out a Spin-A-Prop today and have been toying with putting it in the Wildcat, I think that's been a plan for a while. I need to check my overfull calendar to see if it's doable.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

bromo wrote:Nice choice John that box art brings back some memories, i remember building a Hawker sea fury that must have had the original prop blur from Frog.
I don't think that had the prop disc bromo, could you be thinking of the Tempest kit? perhaps you used a left over one on a Sea Fury model?

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

OK, forget the Spin-A-Prop, I just lost three more days this month .... My modeling time is coming about a part a day right now :sad:

Here we are with the engine in and fuselage test fitted. Note the extreme gap between the two cylinder banks, but it won't be seen once I put the other half the cowl on.

I have lightly sanded down rivets and panel lines and may take another swipe at them. Tomorrow I'll final the fuselage the move on to the wings. There is a part-painted pilot around here somewhere.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

John,

I can see what you mean regarding the gap between the two banks of cylinders. As you say, it'll be invisible once you put the cowling on. However, I was idly thinking of how it could be fixed and I can't think of an easy way off the top of my head.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Martin, that gap is what also turned me back from trying the Spin-A-Prop - I'd have to make a long shaft, that would be vulnerable when trying to turn over the prop to kick-start it.
And you are right, it isn't noticeable with the cowl on -- the opposite, in fact, as it provides a certain depth of view that makes the two cylinder banks distinct, as opposed to those kits where the engine is one lump.

As to what Revell might have been thinking/drinking/smoking at the time, I have no clue :lol:

Return to “Naval Aircraft GB”