August's RCAF Mk.XVI - FINISHED

If you have to ask, well ....
Runs April 1st to 30th. Your GB Leader is Lancfan
K5083
Active Participant

August's RCAF Mk.XVI - FINISHED

Post by K5083 »

The old KP kit still has much to recommend it in accuracy and fineness of detail.

I decided that two aftermarket items would much enhance this model, a new canopy and exhausts. A Squadron canopy was duly retrieved from the stash and a Quickboost exhaust is on order. Actually the original canopy is not bad and would be acceptable if I had not set a little higher standard than my usual for this build.

Right now a 421 Squadron machine from the little old Aviation Usk decal sheet is the most likely marking choice. Something like:

In building this kit and the Hasegawa Mk.I, it seems to me they reflect the dilemma we had in building Spitfires and many other subjects for so many years. We had to choose between well engineered kits that weren't accurate or rough, limited-run kits that were. I'll enjoy perversely ignoring the fact that we now have the best of both worlds available for both of the types I'm building.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: August's RCAF Mk.XVI

Post by DazDaMan »

August - looking forward to seeing this one.

I've just realised, though, that some of the bits I acquired in that Spitfire bundle the other day are from the same kit as yours - I have a pair of fuselage halves, a set of (damaged) wings and tailplanes, some exhaust pipes, radiators, and not an awful lot else!

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9134;
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

The KP kit is a classic, I have built a few:

I think it is stil the only 1/72 kit that comes with an 'E' wing option OOB.

I always felt that the canopy looks a little too flat & low so it is worth replacing. The problem with vac canopies is that you have to do a better job of the interior. :-D
Looking forward to watching your progress.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Thank you for the inspiration OT. The canopy "sit" does appear to be the biggest appearance issue in built-up photos I've seen. Also it appears to me that the prop blades should maybe be moved more to the rear of the spinner. I think I can tackle that without resorting to the aftermarket.

August
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I'm trying to keep my two Spit builds togther, but it's hard for the KP not to lag the Hasegawa because it puts up more of a fight. The KP cockpit was actually the better of the two, but I'm not convinced it was made to fit this particular kit. And, despite my resolution to do the cockpits straight OOB, it left gaping holes that have to be closed up. Detailing was limited to painting everything interior green, then a wash of thinned RAF Dark Green.

The fuselage fits together well with only a slight step in the lower engine cowling. I admire the shape fidelity of this kit, especially around the nose where I doubt it has been bettered by any of the newer kits. Wings should be on by the end of the weekend.

August
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Based on Old Tonto's pics above, I decided to see if I could correct the fit of the stock canopy for the KP. Trial fitting convinced me that it needs shimming below the main part of the canopy to bring it up to the level of the rear part.

It took two shims of .010 plastic to bring it up to the level I find satisfactory. Now the shims have to be faired in.

August
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Nice idea August, hope it works out.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Going into the weekend, almost ready for paint. You can see the work I did to alter the canopy position. The stuff around the canopy is silver Sharpie which I use to check my body work because it shows every flaw. And there are still some. Couple more swipes of sandpaper should take care of it.

This photo displays upside down no matter what I do -- rotate the pic in Windows, rotate in a photo editor, rotate on the host server -- so I guess the forum software just thinks it knows more than me about how it should be displayed.

August
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It looks the right way up to me?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Me too! It was inverted when I previewed it. Go figure.

August
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Looks good from all angles to me. ;-)
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Medium Sea Grey and Ocean Grey went on this weekend. Thinking about the best soft-masking solution for the Dark Green.

August
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Complex paint scheme on this one but everything was going fine until -- aughh! -- the masking tape for the invasion stripes pulled off part of the camo on both sides of the fuselage.

Don't know why. The tape was thoroughly weakened, the fuselage had been cleaned before painting, and the same paints didn't come off at all on the Nichimo I am building. The next sentence should start "Undaunted, I proceeded ..." but actually I was good and darn daunted. However, apart from this I was having a pretty good evening with the airbrush, so decided to see if I could fix it freehand even though the camo was initially loose masked. So:

A good save, if I must say so. I don't know if I could do a whole camo job with an edge like that before my eyes, back and patience gave out, but I can manage if for a few spot fixes.

Lots of detail parts to paint and install now.

August
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A brilliant save well done.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Good finish on a now all too often forgotten kit.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.

Return to “You Can Never Have Too Many ... GB”