Sign-up and Chat

A GB for a single type aircraft, the MiG-21 - any kit, any scale, any markings.
Runs May 1st to 31st. Your GBL is Brickie.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sign-up and Chat

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This is a single-type GB of the MiG-21 -- any variant (including the Chengdu J-7), any era, any operator, including whiffery if you so desire.

This GB started from a thread here.

The GB runs from May 1st to 31st; your GBL is Brickie who will fill in any other info.
Chris
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by Chris »

I intend to make a KP 1/72 Mig 21 for this build.
Honcho of ASMMF
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I've choice between a Condor or Academy kit with up to 6 different markings.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Decisions, decisions.

1/48th Eduard Mig-21PFM or a number of interesting 1/72nd aftermarket decal options for the Fujimi kits in the stash.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

There seem to be a lot of Mg 21s :shock:
I appear to have got one with the smaller nose radome and under the nose proboscis( Academy) and the Condor kit which has a larger nose radome with an upper nose proboscis. Thankfully they all are single seaters. Also finding out what colours go where from the various decal sets I have is fun .........................not.
Trying to work out what should be silver, aluminium or NMF(assuming that's different to silver or aluminium) is not exactly easy. Hey ho. I think rigging a DH2 blindfold would be less of a challenge :mrgreen:
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I will be building two 1/144 Trumpeter Chinese versions, the standard PLAAF F-7-II and the PLAAF aerobatic team F-7EB.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Not sure what version I will do yet but it will be East German as I have the decals. :lol:

A question for you Mig-21 'Aficionados'. I have read that there are "20 different versions in four generations".
Which models conform to the generations? I assume that the F-13 & PF are 1st generation. Is that correct?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Hi all!

Your GBL will be in with the Trumpeter 1/48 kit, which comes with USSR, DDR, China, Vietnam, Finland and Czechoslovakian decals. I'd ideally like to do Sigmund Jähn's aircraft, but will need to source "737" nose numbers.

What colour do the MiG-21 aficionados suggest is good for the interior "disgusting blue"?
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Old_Tonto wrote:Not sure what version I will do yet but it will be East German as I have the decals. :lol:

A question for you Mig-21 'Aficionados'. I have read that there are "20 different versions in four generations".
Which models conform to the generations? I assume that the F-13 & PF are 1st generation. Is that correct?

Hi OT. It goes like this.

First Generation:
Ye-6 prototypes (3).
Mig-21F Fishbed B. Produced 1959 and 1960.
Mig-21F-13 Fishbed C. Produced from 1960 to 1965. First fully armed AAM capable variant.

Second Generation:
Ye-7 prototypes(2).
Mig-21P. Fishbed D. Dedicated fair weather interceptor. Produced 1960 to 1962, alongside the fighter variant.
Mig-21PF. Fishbed E. Developed from the F-13 with features of the -21P plus a more powerful engine. Produced 1962 to 1968.
Mig-21PFS. Fishbed F. Short production run variant of the PF featuring boundary layer blowing to shorten landing distances, Produced 1964.
Mig-21PFM. Also Fishbed F. Improved PF with a wider chord fin and a two part side opening canopy. Capable of carrying gun pod. Widely exported. 1964 to 1968.
Mig-21FL. Licence built PFM produced in India from 1966 to 1974. Less powerful radar. Capable of using non-Russian missiles.
Mig-21PFMA. Fishbed J. Further improved PFM with numerous upgrades, notably RP-22 Jaybird radar.
Mig-21R. Fishbed H. Reconnaissance variant of the PF produced from 1965 to 1971.

Third Generation:
Mig-21S. Also Fishbed H. Collected all the improvements of second gen. aircraft into one version. Also larger dorsal spine for increased fuel capacity. Produced from 1965 to 1968.
Mig-21SM. M-Modernised. Another Fishbed J. More powerful engine. Internal cannon. Produced 1968 to 1974.
Mig-21M. Fishbed J again.. De-rated engine. Less powerful radar. Produced for export between 1968 and 1971. Licence produced in India from 1973 to 1981.
Mig-21MF. Also Fishbed J. Back to the R-13-300 engine from the SM and Saphir 21 radar. Popular export version. Limited internal fuel. Produced 1970 to 1975.
Mig-21MT. Fishbed J, predictably. T=Topivo (fuel). An MF with increased fuel capacity. Transition aircraft. 15 built in 1971.

Fourth Generation:

Mig-21SMT. Fishbed K. Cross between M and MT variants. Titanium parts so lower weight. Flight instability reduced fuel capacity so it was made in limited numbers between 1970 and 1971.
Mig-21bis. Fishbed L. More powerful engine with short burst high power afterburner regime at Mach 1 plus. Upgraded weapons fit. Produced in large numbers from 1972 to 1987.
Mig-21bis. Fishbed N. More efficient engine -21bis with Polyot ILS.
Mig-21bis-Lazur. -21bis with ground controlled interception system.
Mig-21bis-SAU. -21bis with automatic control system for the Polyot ILS.

Two Seaters

Mig-21U. Mongol A. Based on the F-13. No radar or fixed weapons. Built in large numbers for domestic use and export from 1962 to 1968
Mig-21US. Mongol B. More fuel, improved ejector seats and cockpit periscopes. Built from 1966 to 1970.
Mig-21UM. Also Mongol B. Outwardly identical to US with equipment and instrument improvements and four underwing pylons. Produced from 1971 on.

As if these weren't enough there were/are also 24 variants of the Chengdu F-7, the Chinese version of the Mig-21. The J-7E variant has a funky looking double delta wing extension.

It's also quite easy to modify one variant of -21 for another. The MF and bis variants, for example, are externally identical unless you're building a very late bis and then it's just a matter of a few small aerials.

Happy building :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Chris

Post by Chris »

I prefer the old 1960s Airfix rule, if it looks good its close enough!
Honcho of ASMMF
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Can anyone tell me what should I use for the light blue colour in the cockpit and the green for the radome?
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

TobyC wrote:Can anyone tell me what should I use for the light blue colour in the cockpit and the green for the radome?
Just found this useful site.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/color/cockpit.shtml;

So it's only the green I need to find now.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Apparently the colour that one reviewer of the kit refers to as "Soviet Barf Turquoise" was adopted as standard in the mid-1960s, so early MiGs like the F-13 I'm doing might be in various shades of it, or even in the older dark grey.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Thanks Daz for that post. Very informative. Back in the day, Testors Model Master line had a "Russian Cockpit Color" which was supposed to match the greenish-blue. I will most likely mix my own. Pictures that I look at with various lighting and film types really make this a debatable topic. At Jeff's Heavy Industires close enough is just that close enough. :grin:
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Wow Daz, you seem to be in the know. Ever wish you had never asked a question? :lol:

Not sure what I will do yet but it will be finished in DDR colours as I have the decals. I have three options in the stash:
  • Mig-21R form 'MAC Distribution' - no idea what this kit builds like but it looks a bit rough!
    Mig-21MF from KP - looks quite simple with raised panel lines.
    Mig-21? Fujimi - cheap ebay purchase without box or decals.
Will post pictures tomorrow.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)

Return to “MiG-21 GB”