August's Chengdu pair - Finished!

A GB for a single type aircraft, the MiG-21 - any kit, any scale, any markings.
Runs May 1st to 31st. Your GBL is Brickie.
K5083
Active Participant

August's Chengdu pair - Finished!

Post by K5083 »

These are simple kits that i will build in parallel so I may as well put them in one thread.

The Trumpeter 1/144 Chengdu F-7-II and F-7EB are very similarly laid out.

The F-7EB was the special version of the F-7 for the August 1 display team. It carried no armament but a full loadout is provided on the sprues.

The molding is pretty good but the recessed panel detail is heavy handed for this scale. I have brushed all of the major parts with fingernail ridge filler, which is good for reducing or even eliminating such detail. My method is to brush it on, then quickly wipe it off with a fingertip, leaving it mostly just in the recessed panel line to be filled.

I feel like putting pilots in these models, but crew figures rarely come with 1/144 kits, and these are no exception. You can buy bags of N scale (1/150) figures for model railroaders that work well in 1/144 models. For a little extra money, you can buy ones that are all seated, like in this bag of 50:

I found a couple that seemed about the right build and have added blobs of CA to their heads so they look like they're wearing helmets. You can see the one I picked for the F-7EB in the sprue shot above. It even came already the right color, although in some pics the team during this era appear to wear red flight suits.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Re: August's Chengdu pair

Post by Brickie »

Thanks for joining in August, we're quorate now!

I've never got the hang of 1/144 and admire those who can make it work...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Looking forward to seeing the double-delta built. They're not something you see modelled often.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The only aircraft I have ever built in 1/144 are airliners. I bet this pair of Chinese MiG-21-alikes are pretty small in this scale and the N Gauge pilots will be an eyesight test as well. I look forward to seeing your efforts with these as there is no doubt that the scale is catching on for fighter types.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

It is pretty small all right. I took this picture of it in my hand to give a sense how small. The fuselage is barely longer than my middle finger.

Researching the cockpit colors, they seemed to be dark gray or black. Luckily, the Chinese evidently did not adopt Russian turquoise for their MiG cockpits, probably because of the horrific feng shui implications. I painted them Extra Dark Sea Grey with a few black washes. The pilots were painted and installed, with a red suit for the F-7EB and green for the F-7-II. I discovered that the sprues for the fuselage and tail feathers are identical in the two kits. As you can see the pilot is surrounded by hopefully enough hardware to keep the nosewheel down.

The fuselages were then closed up. This is the F-7-II. That's a 1-inch grid it's sitting on.

August
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

The N gauge seated figures are a great tip- thanks for that
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh wow, that is small but perfectly formed.

IPMS#12300
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

The shape generally looks pretty good. Panel lines are still too obvious but better than how it came. The canopy is great, nice and thin. This is important because if it were thick, the pilot would have to hunch unrealistically down to fit under it. Detail parts such as ordnance are not terrible. I will fit the F-7-II out with an air-to-air load. The EB will just have a centerline tank.

I branched into 1/144 for the same types of thing as you Shaun: airliners, cargo, patrol planes and postwar bombers that were too big to collect in 1/72. Then I decided I needed a few smaller types for scale, sort of to bridge my 1/72 and 1/144 collections, and then, you know, things got out of hand. Now I have stuff as small as a Nieuport 17 in 1/144.

August
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Nieuport must be totally tiny in 1/144 as it's hardly massive in 1/72nd! I tend to mix and match scales depending upon the subject and, broadly speaking, prefer 1/48th for single engined fighters, 1/72nd for larger subjects such as bombers and then down to 1/144 for the largest subjects that take my fancy such as airliners. Of course, being a modeller I don't always stick to my own rules but one of my main problems, as for a lot of us, is storage and display space or rather the lack thereof!

IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great source of pilots. Luckily I've collected a handful of Aeroclub 1/144 figures that also come with nice seats
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Chris

Post by Chris »

That is some small Mig!
Honcho of ASMMF
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Nanotechnology in action! ;-)
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

These having been coming along gradually.

Numerous engineering issues have emerged as they go together. As you can see from my second photo of May 8, the main gear wells go right up through the wing root. This results in an unavoidable gap in that section when joining the wings. Both the wing and tailplane locator tab holes are positioned at different heights, left vs. right, on the fuselage, so the wings and tailplanes will end up at different heights and incidences unless the tabs are cut off and the parts slighly repositioned on one side.

I had planned to paint the display team paint scheme on the EB before joining the wings and tailplane, but my experience with the other MiG convinced me there was no way to prepare the parts for accurate fitting without a lot of post-assembly putty work, so both models ended up being assembled first. Now there is just canopy masking and a few other things to do before paint.

Accuracy-wise, the flying surfaces look too thick. Otherwise the birds are acceptably MiG-shaped. I would not really recommend these kits, except that I don't think there is an alternative in 1/144 for either version.

August
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Great work on these August, they certainly look like Migs to me.

I love the double delta wing on the J-7E. Very cool
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I was traveling last week and didn't get to work on the F-7s. But I did get to do a little research.

I confirmed (assuming these planes are accurately preserved) that my cockpit should be gray, although possibly a slightly lighter shade than I used. The NMF bird gives me a good guide as to which panels I should darken when I paint my F-7-II later this week.

August

Return to “MiG-21 GB”