Splash's XR219

For the TSR-2, real or whiff.
Runs May 1st to 31st. GBL is Lancfan.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Splash's XR219

Post by splash »

As Last ditch attempt to get this build finished, I have rummaged around my garage and found an old rattle can of white primer, it's not acrylic primer, but as the kit has already been primed it should be ok.

I have just given it a coat of white primer and will leave it for an hour or two before looking at it.

Progress report and photos later tonight.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Good luck Splash, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Here's hoping it turns out ok!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Sorry guys I'm not happy with the finish, I have just given it a second coat but it's not looking good, so to save any more stress I'm declaring this one as a DNF.

I'm disappointed as this was one of my grail kits and I just can't do it justice.

Cheers for all your support, I think I will put it in the box of shame to finish later before I throw it across the room.

Regards Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The second coat has came out better than I thought it would but it's still a DNF :frown:

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

RIP

just like the original my build has been broken up and scrapped with all the jigs destroyed.

I can't recall any other Airfix kit putting up so much of a fight.

I now think I need a break from GB's this kit has totally sapped my build mojo to the extent that I have cleared all my unbuilt models away and will just concentrate on finishing some of my hanger queens off the bench.

Regards Splash
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's a shame Splash, it's hard when a kit fights you all the way and saps your spirit so much.
I hope you'll regroup while you sort out your big queens ( :shock: :ha: :-D ) and will then be ready for a new challenge enjoyable build.
Thanks for the company in this GB though 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

It is such a shame that Airfix dropped the ball on this iconic British aircraft, the surface detail is good but the fit of the parts is really quite awful, it can even be likened to an exercise in classic cross kitting. If this kit had been properly tooled it would be a breeze but sadly we probably will not ever see a re-tool of this kit.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

lancfan wrote:...sadly we probably will not ever see a re-tool of this kit....
Probably not from Airfix but I am surprised that at least one of the Asian kit manufacturers that regularly release mainstream kits of aircraft and armour designs that never got much beyond being a scribble on the back of a napkin or at best made it as far as a single prototype, has not had a crack at the TSR.2 in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32. It's not as obscure as, say, the A-10B or the Me-509, or the Dora 80cm railway gun (which has had good sales in 1/35, 1/72 and 1/144), for example and unlikely many more popular subjects there are two easily accessible original aircraft in aviation museums in the UK...

When, and I am fairly sure that is it not an if, those kits do come out, maybe we will revisit this GB again, marvel at those intrepid adventurers that took on the Airfix version, and steam ahead with a collective build of a definitive TSR.2...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “TSR-2 GB”