MarkyM607's Horsa **FINISHED**

Honoring the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, 6 June 1944, this GB is dedicated to units and equipment of both sides who participated on that day.
The GB runs 6 June to 20 July; your GBL is Lancfan.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

MarkyM607's Horsa **FINISHED**

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi, Have decided to go with my Airfix Airspeed Horsa Glider, the intention is to lash it to my Stirling Mk.IV which was done for D-Day a few years back. Think the Stirling could pull two of these so may have to get another (any excuse!!).
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: MarkyM607's Horsa

Post by PaulBradley »

...and, if it comes out in time, you could add Airfix's new Jeep set next to them both!

http://www.airfix.com/shop/new-for-2014 ... d-gun-172/;
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Not as much progress here as I would like. Got a bit confused over the seat placement and which floor part went where. The instructions didn't seem to tally but it might have been me. Plus the sprues don't seem to have numbers on, it's the first Airfix kit I can remember with a parts plan. Is it Airfix's kit?.
I have glued the main body and the tail halves together since this stage. Will post more later.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Those instructions look suspiciously identical to my Italeri ones.....which makes me suspect you have an Airfix re-boxing.
It's very handy not having part numbers on the runners ain't it!? :shock: Hours of fun for all the family :grin:
Are you building as a Mk 1 or Mk2?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:Those instructions look suspiciously identical to my Italeri ones.....which makes me suspect you have an Airfix re-boxing.
It's very handy not having part numbers on the runners ain't it!? :shock: Hours of fun for all the family :grin:
Are you building as a Mk 1 or Mk2?
Yes, I've done more flicking from instruction stage to parts plan in the last few days than I ever have I think!!. I've gone lazy and plumped for the Mk.2. Didn't fancy cutting bits this time!. You're alright with parts plans until you get rid of the more identifiable bits from which to locate others!!. Never mind, I hope to attach it behind my Mk.IV Stirling (as I think I've said before), so not worried too much about version and interior. Although looking at yours I think I've attached the seats the wrong way around!! :oops:
iggie

Post by iggie »

Watch out, this kit is a tail sitter :shock:
No mention of nose weight in the destructions.....!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

As I mentioned I plan to hang this behind my Mk.IV Stirling so hopefully weight won't be needed!!. Although it might be an idea to put some in anyway, just in case it goes on static display!!. Any idea how much?.
Anyway, one or two pics top show progress so far. Have got rid of the seams created either by me or the parts (!).
Have completed the cockpit interior since these pics but forgot to include them in today's photo session!. Have also attached the wing to the fuselage.
iggie

Post by iggie »

MarkyM607 wrote:As I mentioned I plan to hang this behind my Mk.IV Stirling so hopefully weight won't be needed!!. Although it might be an idea to put some in anyway, just in case it goes on static display!!. Any idea how much?.
I'll go and balance pound coins on mine until it sits down.......back in a moment 8-)

Right, two pound coins does it, although it will still tip up if the tail is pushed down, and will stay there. £2.10 makes it stay properly :-D
Best wishes

Jim
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Are they real or fake £ coins? :)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
iggie

Post by iggie »

TobyC wrote:Are they real or fake £ coins? :)
Real of course! :ha:
Best wishes

Jim
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Okay, will raid the piggy bank!!. It's not really surprising it's a tail sitter, there's a massive amount of aircraft behind the main wheels including the large tail surfaces and not much in front of the wheels. Sort of surprising it stayed level in flight!!..
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

IIRC this is a re-boxing of the Italeri kit Mark. It should look good teamed up with the Stirling.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Looking good ... I so want to do a Stirling & Horsa to hang on the ceiling ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I have both the Horsa and the Stirling in the stash and know exactly what you mean john, seeing the glider built here makes me want to dig my kit out of the stash and begin.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. (Sound of heavy breathing through clenched teeth can be heard!).
I have made what some would call a schoolboy error but would that would be being kind. I have done this:-
Can anyone spot the deliberate catastrophe?...
Yes, I have glued the centre fuselage the wrong way around so that the slot for the wing is near the front rather than the back, meaning the wing is about an inch further forward than it should be!. This is why the fuselage in front of the wing is only about an inch or so and the bit behind the wing is massively long. Sigh. The only choice if I don't want my first GB DNF is to try and prise the wing off and move it back.... Nearly had it complete as well!. It seems to have taken me at least two weeks to spot this! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Okay, thanks for listening!....

Return to “D-Day 70th Anniversary”