The Monitor HMS Roberts, Sword Beach ** Finished **

Honoring the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, 6 June 1944, this GB is dedicated to units and equipment of both sides who participated on that day.
The GB runs 6 June to 20 July; your GBL is Lancfan.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The Monitor HMS Roberts, Sword Beach ** Finished **

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Background

Monitors grew out of the bomb ketches of the late 17th century. Designed to provide bombardment and naval gunfire support, they evolved into a peculiar form of warship with a couple very heavy guns, low draft to get close inshore, broad beam for stability and torpedo/mine protection, and high structures for observing the fall of shots -- they were also slow.

HMS Roberts was one of two monitors of the WW2 Roberts class, the other being Abercrombie. Interestingly, the WW1 Monitor HMS Roberts was of the Abercrombie class. Roberts was completed in 1941 and served in the Med and Europe. She has two 15inch main guns (the turret/guns were reused from the WW1 monitor Marshal Soulte), 4 dual 4inch HAA guns, 3 pom-pom mounts (1 8-barrel, 2 quad), and 20 20mm guns although I'm having trouble finding more than 18 in any plans.

Roberts, as part of Bombarding Force D, supported D-Day off Sword Beach on 6 June until the right gun burst late in the day. She returned to Portsmouth for repair on the 7th and was back on station by the 26th. One of her guns is outside the IWM.

More detailed history can be found on the web, in particular here http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono ... oberts.htm;, and in this book:

although this is more an operational history - I do not have any heavy duty technical references.

Combrig 70291 HMS Roberts Monitor, WW2

Not too many parts, and many aren't very big. They look well done and I do not see any breakage so we're off to a good start.

The instructions can best be classed as hints - there is a one page diagram

and a one (half) page assembly diagram. Please note they have greatly uncluttered the instructions by not using part numbers ….

There are no decals and no painting instructions. I have done some research that I'll discuss later and then make some decision.

As this is a waterline model, I'll need some ocean and will try Vallejo Water Texture gel for the first time.

I have a number of 1/700 generic aftermarket items that I may or may not use depending on time available. June is an ugly month time-wise and I'll have a 10-day stretch away from the bench, so I'm going to try to push hard early then have to pick again in July.

Back on the 6th !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: The Monitor HMS Roberts, Sword Beach

Post by PaulBradley »

Something different, and cool, John!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I have continued my research, mostly into the "paint job" carried by Roberts on D-Day and it is not easy - it seems as Abercrombie was more photographed. I did get Burxton's classic "Big Gun Monitors" which has provided me a wealth of detail & history of the class from 1914-1945 and at least one D-Day photo that allows me to choose from the various schemes.

I can say that the boxart photo is from shortly after repairs in June 1943 and is not the same scheme worn on D-Day. Various other schemes seem to be Med-focused or 1945-ish. Anyway, it seems that the new Trumpeter 1/350 kit captures it well and that is what I will use as a guideline.

So, onward - but not so much today - along with being D-Day, it is our 45th Anniversary and I need to pay attention to SWMBO.
giulio_gobbi
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by giulio_gobbi »

I don't know about this kind of Ships in theD-Day.
I learned something. :)
The model promise to be very interesting and unusual!
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Looks good John and a nice interesting subject as well, i look forward to the build.
BEEN A WHILE
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Very interesting John. I've always been fascinated by the RN monitors.

We visited the IWM in London a couple of years ago and Mrs Dazzled has the obligatory picture of me in front of the guns.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, after a pleasant 45th anniversary - quiet day, nice dinner out, I'm back at the bench.

I have picked my paint pots -- G10 Deck Grey for the horizontal surfaces, and three for the verticals: MS4 Light Grey, B5 RN Blue-Grey, and MS1 Dark Grey.

I have started putting pieces on with the idea to get a horizontal surface, then paint it and the verticals before adding the next level. That has had me sanding pieces off the sheet of resin parts - a sensitive task as it doesn't take much to put too much pressure and begin to sand through. The lack of part numbers and the apparent fact that not all parts are shown on the assembly plan make this an interesting build.

And I've started the water. On a board I spray some Tamiya rattlecan blue & green, then cover with Clear Silicon Acrylic caulk - it looks white here but does dry clear and over the painted base looks pretty good. I'm not specially happy with how this came out and it may get a re-do or a fix-up ….
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I had some really sad water - thumbprints & I'm not sure what - so I put another thin coat overtop and when that had mostly dried I went back and dabbed some "Channel Chop" into it …. Which some dry-brushing might bring out later.

I have put on the lowest structures and deck detail, also added some photoetch doors and a ladder. I'm about ready to start painting the lowest level & hull.

Interesting - I bought 1/700 PE Anchor Chain - but what I got was PE 1/700 Anchor Chain Links !!

Individual (bleep) links - I have not decided if I am going to even try, and if I do, How ?
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Good luck with that anchor chain. No instructions with it?

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

Very small soldering iron?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That water has turned out excellent I'm not sure I fancy building those chains :lol:
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Those links look like a binary printout gone beserk!!. I wouldn't do them, ask for what you wanted!! :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Clashcityrocker wrote:Good luck with that anchor chain. No instructions with it?

Nigel
No, or they are maybe too small to read :lol:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

MarkyM607 wrote:Those links look like a binary printout gone beserk!!. I wouldn't do them, ask for what you wanted!! :grin:
The problem is that PE chains rarely look good, so IF I could do these, they look quite good.
iggie

Post by iggie »

jRatz wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Those links look like a binary printout gone beserk!!. I wouldn't do them, ask for what you wanted!! :grin:
The problem is that PE chains rarely look good, so IF I could do these, they look quite good.
Not that you'll be able to see, having gone cross-eyed in the process :-D

You'd have to change your name to Clarence.... :ha:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “D-Day 70th Anniversary”