Chip's DUKW+++Completed+++

Honoring the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, 6 June 1944, this GB is dedicated to units and equipment of both sides who participated on that day.
The GB runs 6 June to 20 July; your GBL is Lancfan.
Molly-new
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Chip's DUKW+++Completed+++

Post by Molly-new »

I am building the DUKW from the Airfix D-DAY 60th anniversary set, no box but here are the bits:

Instructions:

I am tempted to do this as a diorama but am quite busy work wise this month.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Molly-new

Re: Chip's DUKW

Post by Molly-new »

Finally get some time at the bench and spend most of it trying to decipher the instruction sheet. :roll:

Eventually sussed it out (thanks to pictures of past builds) and made a start:

Not much progress but I get the feeling that this should come together quite quickly now.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

With work, the nice weather and watching the World Cup I have been a bit short in time spent at the bench, however some progress has been made:

Construction has been completed OOB apart from a piece of "grid" behind the seats from the spares box.

Base coat of Olive put on, looks like it needs a bit of a touch-up in the cabin. At some point the driver has gone AWOL!! Probably fed up with waiting around. ;-)
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

With no work due to the wet weather, and England out of the World Cup I have been able to get a bit of time at the bench.

The body has received some detail painting, weathering and the decals put on;

and it would have been completed except for a minor mishap. I use an office chair on wheels to do my modelling from, and after dropping the windscreen onto the floor (which I had just painted) I pushed the chair back to pick it up before it got paint on the carpet. Annoyingly I ran over the part and broke it into 3 pieces: :sad:

Oh well, lesson learnt. :???: It should be repairable with a bit of PVA glue.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Just call it battle damage :-D

I recall build one back in the mid sixty's and had great fun playing with it, is it still a good kit or has it started to show its age?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Molly-new wrote:I use an office chair on wheels to do my modelling from, and after dropping the windscreen onto the floor (which I had just painted) I pushed the chair back to pick it up before it got paint on the carpet. Annoyingly I ran over the part and broke it into 3 pieces:
You're lucky!
Normaly, the creature that lives under my workbench is more faster than my wheels chair, and grab the pieces....
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

splash wrote:Just call it battle damage :-D

I recall build one back in the mid sixty's and had great fun playing with it, is it still a good kit or has it started to show its age?

Regards Splash
Battle damage is a good excuse. :beer:

It is still a good kit and has gone together with no real issues, with a bit of scratch building to add the necessary floats and stowage it could make a really nice kit. I will probably build another outside of the time constraints of a GB so as to add a bit of realism to it, and also do a diorama. (One day ;-) )
giulio_gobbi wrote:Normaly, the creature that lives under my workbench is more faster than my wheels chair, and grab the pieces....
I think he is still full up after eating the driver, as he still hasn't been found. :shock:
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Windscreen repaired and fitted after another coat of matt varnish. This is a finished as it is going to be:

Quite an easy build but outside influences meant I could not dedicate as much time and effort to this build as I would have liked. Thanks to Lancfan for suggesting the subject and looking after us all during this.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Chip's DUKW+++Completed+++

Post by lancfan »

Looks great Chip.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Chip's DUKW+++Completed+++

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Just back from a trip where I saw several of these, modified or just modern equivalents, now used to carry tourists for sightseeing ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “D-Day 70th Anniversary”