Just Horsa-ing Around ***FINISHED***

Honoring the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, 6 June 1944, this GB is dedicated to units and equipment of both sides who participated on that day.
The GB runs 6 June to 20 July; your GBL is Lancfan.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Just Horsa-ing Around ***FINISHED***

Post by iggie »

Working from home today, and finished 'work' at lunchtime, so decided to make a start on my contribution to the GB; An Italeri 1/72 Airspeed Horsa glider.
So far the cockpit is assembled; Humbrol acrylics brushed, interior green (78), black (33), olive drab (can't read the number...) and stone (ditto) for the seat belts.
Drybrushed with silver and a touch of red to liven it up. All then given a black wash.
Canopy glazing bars painted with interior green, prior to receiving outer colours later in the build
View from the rear cabin:

Views from the front with canopy placed

And the interior sans glazing:
More work on it later with luck!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Just Horsa-ing Around

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Good start - one of these days/months/years, I'm going to do a Stirling & Horsa for the ceiling ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Not bad for a 1975 Kit!
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
iggie

Post by iggie »

Thanks guys, it's coming on nicely (for me anyway!) ;-)
More progress:
Main fuselage fitted out; more interior green, plus weathering with a light tan to represent paint being worn off the main frames to expose the wood beneath, some dry brushing with silver on the benches for exposed metal, and a black, then mud wash to walls & floor. Need some Para type kit to place inside but that can wait for now.

Wings are assembled and will be attached tonight (or during the Grand Prix :grin: ) along with the rest of the major parts, then it'll be into the paint shop :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:Main fuselage fitted out; more interior green, plus weathering ......
I like the weathering, as well as the rest of the work, but just out of curiosity, how weathered would these gliders actually be? From what I've read and heard, they weren't all that durable, in fact, the word 'disposable' has been used to describe them. How much use, and thus how much wear and tear, would they have endured before being thrown into Normandy for their first, and in most cases last, combat mission?
iggie

Post by iggie »

rob_van_riel wrote:
iggie wrote:Main fuselage fitted out; more interior green, plus weathering ......
I like the weathering, as well as the rest of the work, but just out of curiosity, how weathered would these gliders actually be? From what I've read and heard, they weren't all that durable, in fact, the word 'disposable' has been used to describe them. How much use, and thus how much wear and tear, would they have endured before being thrown into Normandy for their first, and in most cases last, combat mission?
That's a fair point; however, there are many photographs and articles on t'web concerning the training of both pilots and troops on the Horsa and other gliders, so I'm assuming that some of the training school aircraft will have been thrown into the fray on D-Day along with the 'fresh out of the factory' units. As ever, there are conflicting references regarding interior colours as well; some appear to have been natural wood above low level green, some an RAF blue lower down with cream or interior green above, some (as mine) interior green throughout.... :???:
Also, the weather was foul on the run up to the day itself, so even the new aircraft will have had muddy boot-prints all over them!
Best wishes

Jim
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I really like the way the interior turned out. Well done
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
iggie

Post by iggie »

Well, some progress:
Fuselage all buttoned up, wings and other control surfaces on, undercarriage etc.
Primed with Humbrol rattle primer No1, lightly sanded then Dark Earth and (a first for me) free hand Dark Green camo

Masking to follow soon followed by black undersides and stripes :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Nice!
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
iggie

Post by iggie »

And, a little more progress!
Masked for stripes first, and black underside following on; the end result being:

One or two little bleeds to sort, and then a gloss varnish prior to decals which I hope will also sort out a sweaty fingerprint on the topside camo :evil:
Best wishes

Jim
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Very tidy. Shame most weren't like that after they had landed.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
iggie

Post by iggie »

TobyC wrote:Very tidy. Shame most weren't like that after they had landed.
Ain't that the truth :cry:

To be honest, I wish I had the skills to to a diorama that would do justice to the guy's who had to ride these things for real....one day I will, but not yet
Best wishes

Jim
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Double Nice!
Perfect Stripes!
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

That's looking very nice :)
Up in the Great White North
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Great progress, indeed!
Martin R