Splash's Card LCA ***Finished***

Honoring the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, 6 June 1944, this GB is dedicated to units and equipment of both sides who participated on that day.
The GB runs 6 June to 20 July; your GBL is Lancfan.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Splash's Card LCA ***Finished***

Post by splash »

In the September 1972 edition of Modelworld there was a plan for a 1/76 scale card British LCP ( Landing Craft Personnel) as a lot of these fine craft were used on D-Day I thought I would have ago at building one.

As the magazine was only in Black & White you had to paint the finished item.

Today I found a web page with a copy of the original article, so I thought I would give it a go. As an experiment I printed the plans onto plain card and did a test build, as you can see it finished up a bit rough but did look vaguely like a LCP.

As the test build worked out OK it was time for the second test, this involved trying to add some colour using photoshop, as it's just a test build all I have done is add some basic colours.

For the second test build I have doubled the thickness of the card which I think looks better. I have also given the first test a blow over with grey just to see if painting is an option.

Now the proof of concept builds have been completed I will try and add more detail using photoshop and try a proper build.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Splash's Card LCA

Post by SJPONeill »

Great find, Splash!! Have added it to my library as well (http://vintagewargaming.blogspot.co.nz/ ... north.html;).

To me this is one of the great things about modern paper modelling in that you can a. even find an old model like this that you are unlikely to ever see on the shelf , b. take it into an image editor and add your choice of colours and markings, and c. then, if you so desire, spice it up with detail parts from plastic kits...Being able to edit the model in an image editor also lets you remove fold lines and other guides to building that will be visible in the completed model.
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Splash, I always dream to traslate this project from paper to plasticard!

It seems very accurate!
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

SJPONeill wrote:Being able to edit the model in an image editor also lets you remove fold lines and other guides to building that will be visible in the completed model.
Thats one of the things I want to do is reduce the density of the fold line markings so they don't stand out, plus a lot of the photos I have seen show the bow of the LCP forward of the armour plate is diagonal wood planking.

Now I have practiced building the boat I can see some simple tweaks that will make it easier to build.

Regards Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

giulio_gobbi wrote:Splash, I always dream to traslate this project from paper to plasticard!

It seems very accurate!
I think this would be an ideal project to convert to plastic as there are no complex curves it's all flat surfaces.

Regards Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A quick play with Photoshop has got me this far, so it's time for another test build to see I I'm going down the right route.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Further playing in Photoshop and I have added weathering to the deck and sides.

I have also reduced the fold lines so they only just show.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking better with each trial Splash! :-D

Giulio, you've got me thinking now; my printer will handle thin plasticard........DIY kits perhaps!?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

iggie wrote:Looking better with each trial Splash! :-D

Giulio, you've got me thinking now; my printer will handle thin plasticard........DIY kits perhaps!?
DIY pre-printed kits even better :lol:
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

My table is starting to look like an assembly point some where in the South of England just before D-Day :-D

I have decided to remove some of the tabs and replace the three bulkheads with thicker card, not for strength but to give a good glueing surface for the top deck.

Assembly is very quick with this model I recon you could build one from scratch in a couple of hours, they would be ideal cheap mass builds for war games.

I have made one error with this build, when I printed it I forgot to change my printer settings to A4 no boarder, size to fit, so this build is about 1/80 but as I'm not using any figures it's not a problem.

Regards Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have enjoyed this build and have learnt some new skills working with card.

Regards Splash
SJPONeill

Re: Splash's Card LCA ***Finished***

Post by SJPONeill »

Great work, Splash!! It looks great and I can't wait to see what you turn your hand to next...

Simon
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

SJPONeill wrote:Great work, Splash!! It looks great and I can't wait to see what you turn your hand to next...

Simon
Simon I can see why you like working in card. it's quite therapeutic and can be done in the comfort of your couch whilst watching TV, with nothing more than a pair of scissors a tooth pick and some PVA glue.

Regards Splash
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Exactly!! I was originally attracted to it when we were looking after our twin toddler grand-daughters (definitely double trouble!!) and found that I had only one sharp knife to track, only kid-safe glues, water colour pencils and no paints to keep out of the reach of inquisitive hands...it was also more domestically acceptable in the reduction of dust and odours. Paper modelling brings its own challenges and I still enjoy modelling in other media but I do find the the sheer range of subjects in paper a major attraction too. It's also quite easy on the wallet with tool outlay being minimal and many great i.e. buildable models available as free downloads and preprinted paper models being, for the most part, much more affordable than their plastic/resin counterparts...

It's really heartening that someone else here has given paper models a go, enjoyed the experience and produced a couple of great models. This bodes well for the GB at the end of the year, methinks...

Simon
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Convincing!
I just have to buy some plasticard. ;-)
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......

Return to “D-Day 70th Anniversary”