Daz's Warbird-whiffer '109 **FINISHED**

Commemorating Willi Messerschmitt's finest, the '109, any variant in any nation's colours, just so long as they are '109s! GB Moderator: Chris; runs July 1st to 31st, 2014.
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Daz's Warbird-whiffer '109 **FINISHED**

Post by DazDaMan »

So, as I've just acquired another one of these bad boys from eBay....

...I'm going to do it as a warbird/what-if scheme:
This is one of my all-time favourite '109 colour schemes. The aircraft is Buchon G-BOML, another of the taxiing airframes used in Spain for scenes in Battle of Britain. G-BOML ended up being acquired by British engineer and aircraft enthusiast Nick Grace, and was restored just in time to join two more Buchons for the filming of Piece of Cake in 1988. A year later, following acquisition from Nick's estate by the Old Flying Machine Company, G-BOML and her two co-stars were again in front of the cameras for the filming of Memphis Belle, and the year after that 'BOML appeared in another paint scheme in the Battle of Britain-set ITV drama A Perfect Hero, alongside her Cake co-stars, Spitfire IXs MH434 and ML417. The trio later appeared in piece specially filmed for a flight simulator at Duxford, which I believe is still there!

G-BOML wore a variety of colours over the years for film and airshow work, until a landing accident in 1994 saw her being rebuilt to fly again, doing so in 1998 in the above paint scheme. I first saw the aircraft fly in those colours at East Fortune that year, being flown by Mark Hanna in a dogfight routine with his father Ray - some of the best airshow flying I have ever seen. Ever.

Sadly, Mark and the Buchon were to meet with an unfortunate flying accident in Spain, the Buchon crashing on landing as a result, I believe, of some bad turbulence. The Buchon was destroyed. Mark was badly burned, passing away the next day.

I forget the specifics of the colour scheme itself, save for it being a Defence of the Reich scheme from late 1944/early 1945. What strikes me about it is it makes the Buchon/Me109 even more menacing than normal - a particular photo in the September 1998 edition of Aeroplane Monthly made it look almost shark-like!

Anyway, enough waffling. Model and scheme as above. This will be my third and final build in this GB!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
DazDaMan

Re: Daz's Warbird-whiffer '109

Post by DazDaMan »

I've just had a wee Google for Defence of the Reich bands - turns out the red and blue band seen here means the aircraft was on the strength of JG7.

The Buchon had no other identifying marks on it, other than the numbers and the tail band. Lucky for me, although I think it probably will need a whole new set of decals for the national markings (the kit's examples are the usual black and white versions).
Daren

Chris

Post by Chris »

Sounds good.
Honcho of ASMMF
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Now I'm torn!

I put up a post on another aviation forum, asking if anyone had any good pics of G-BOML in the DotR scheme above.

Another member posted a photo of the aircraft in a scheme it wore in late 1988, which was later adapted into this scheme for the filming of Memphis Belle...

A couple of folk have thought that this is the best scheme 'BOML ever carried, and it would look pretty bad-ass on a '109G-6.

(Plus I have an old Buchon needing some restoration work that I could do as the Reich Defender scheme....)

:???:
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Well, it looks like I'll change my mind and do the mid-war scheme. Arii '109G-6 kit comes with an appropriate unit badge, so at least I won't need to buy one! :ha:
Daren

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Some of those old Otaki/Aries/Airfix kits were very nice. The big "if" was did you get clear glass as a lot of them were foggy. My favorite was the F6F Hellcat. One of my favorite 109 schemes was JG3 and the eyeballs.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Note to self: check the glass! At a glance it looked OK, though.

The JG3 badge is what I'll be using for this build. G-BOML wore one prior to filming Memphis Belle, so this will be more appropriate.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I've just started painting the innards of this model, and I'm getting a feeling of deja vu!

I'm almost 99% certain that my granddad built me one of these at least two decades ago, in its Matchbox guise as the aircraft of this man:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Ba ... rkhorn.jpg;

The Arii kit has artwork for Barkhorn's aircraft, but sadly no decals for it (instead it just has the markings for the aircraft in the box art).
Daren

Chris

Post by Chris »

DazDaMan wrote:I've just started painting the innards of this model, and I'm getting a feeling of deja vu!

I'm almost 99% certain that my granddad built me one of these at least two decades ago, in its Matchbox guise as the aircraft of this man:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Ba ... rkhorn.jpg;

The Arii kit has artwork for Barkhorn's aircraft, but sadly no decals for it (instead it just has the markings for the aircraft in the box art).
The original Otaki kit had three marking choices, these Arii boxings often only have one.
Honcho of ASMMF
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

The Spitfire VIII has three, but the '109 only has the "eyeballs" scheme.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

The build on this one proceeds rapidly! After just a couple of hours' work last night and this morning, I have something resembling a Bf109G-6 on the table already!

Pics later....
Daren

Chris

Post by Chris »

It is a sweet kit.
Honcho of ASMMF
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Sprue shot. Looks a bit more involved than the usual Arii Spitfires I build!

Cockpit bits.

Starboard fuselage side.

Fuselage buttoned up.

Wings and tailplane on.

Looks nice!

The flash has obliterated this pic, but the first bit of warpaint has been applied to the undersides - and 80% up the fuselage sides!
The spinner spiral will be tidied up later.
Daren

TobyC

Post by TobyC »

You got a good move on there. Are you on steroids? :)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

The benefits of being a single man... ;-)
Daren

Return to “Augsburg Eagles GB”