KP Avia S-199 **completed**

Commemorating Willi Messerschmitt's finest, the '109, any variant in any nation's colours, just so long as they are '109s! GB Moderator: Chris; runs July 1st to 31st, 2014.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

KP Avia S-199 **completed**

Post by fredk »

No fancy title; I'm not up to being able to invent clever things like that.

KP's old kit of the Avia S-199, the Czech version of the Me109 with a Jumo engine.
The old reconstituted cardboard box of the Soviet era.

The parts, on three frames;

I bought a set of vac canopies as the original was a bit frosty and I'll use alternative main wheels as the kit ones are rather like shirt buttons;

I may have lost the instructions for this kit. But how hard can it be? And I'll have to search out the decals.
As Prisca is doing her S-199 in Israeli colours I may do mine in Czech markings - just to ring the changes.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Chris

Re: KP Avia S-199

Post by Chris »

Now that is the boxing I had of this kit.

Rough and ragged!
Honcho of ASMMF
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Do yours in Israeli markings if you want, I don't have the time to build mine I'm afraid.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Hey Fred. I have built this kit in the past as an Israeli Sakeen. Turned out okay. If your instruction sheet is still AWOL and you feel you need them, please message me and I can bung mine in the post. Better still, I could take pics of the sheets and email them to you.

Nick.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
fredk

Post by fredk »

Thanks for the offer Nick. I should be ok without the destruction sheet. I have a separate after market set of decals for the Israeli version.

Sorry to hear you haven't time to finish your's Prisca. But totally envious of all those things you'll be doing with your time.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Forgot to take a photo before closing up the fuselage; not much to see though. Some basic finely moulded sidewall detail. I drilled out for the nose guns and drilled out the supercharger intake. Lots of flash on this one. I had to sand down the two fuselage halves quite a bit to get near a decent fit. It needs filler top and bottom.
There is no rear bulkhead behind the seat so a slip of plasticard will be put in, then the seat. Probably put a piece on the slope as well to tidy it.
I may not bother boxing in the u/c wells. They're not too bad, with some detail on the upper wing surface. There was a thick wall of flash on the front openings of the underwing radiators, which had to be cut away with a knife. Again, lots of flash on the parts, and a bit of a leading edge missing, more fillers needed.

The prop and spinner have been joined and prop blades painted. I'll have to see if I need the gun gondolas, they're not too bad but the gun barrels could do with being changed for brass tube.

I've made a number of KP [aka Kopro] kits, but this is the worst I've seen for flash, and odd flash it is too.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Nice progress on her.
Honcho of ASMMF
fredk

Post by fredk »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:Hey Fred. I have built this kit in the past as an Israeli Sakeen. Turned out okay. If your instruction sheet is still AWOL and you feel you need them, please message me and I can bung mine in the post. Better still, I could take pics of the sheets and email them to you.

Nick.
PM incoming to you. I need help on where to fit a part.
fredk

Post by fredk »

A little more work on this;
the rear cockpit bulkhead fitted, I covered the rear slope as well, put a slip of card in for the parcel shelf and a bit for the luggage hatch - that should be flush and would have been better scribed, but this was quicker.

I just used the kit seat, but framed the base;
A couple of seatbelts made from masking tape will be added before the canopy is added as its a big bubble and can seen thru.

I used the kit's gun pods as I didn't have any better in my spares. But I did change the plastic barrels for brass tube;

So just about ready for main painting. I had to reshape the u/c leg tops. The way they fit would have them at a very shallow angle and further back. Reshaping them got them leaning at the correct angles.
HSS used for the nose guns. Have to fit a piece of wire for the pitot.

Now to do one of the jobs I don't really like; to cut out and fit the vac canopy.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice work, Fred!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
gnomemeansgnome

Nice work, Fred. I tried to PM you back but the message won't go through. I will have to dig around for that box and instructions and get back to you about that part as soon as I can.

Nick.
Ego no habeo consilium.

fredk

Post by fredk »

Thanks chaps.
Will be indebted to you Nick if you can find out where that part goes. I have the two-seater CS-199 built but its not on it.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

You are going the extra mile to make a nice model out of this kit.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Nick; I accidentally found where the bit goes. Was on t'innertent looking at colours on this and came across a build of it. The part goes under the nose, strbrd side.
Today; the mystery part glued on, a pitot and VHF aerial on the port wing.
Last night; vac canopy cut out and made to fit. Once the canopy was cut from its surround the tension in the plastic pulled it narrow. I'll have to superglue it in place and hold it in place to make sure it doesn't spring narrow again. Its had a couple of dips in Klear. Once its on - painting time.
gnomemeansgnome

Glad to hear that you got that sorted, Fred. Sorry I couldn't help out sooner. I was gawking at my Israeli Sakeen up close to see if I could ID the mystery part but couldn't see it...hmm.....go figure. On a happy note though, after rifling through my stupidly ridiculously huge stash in a futile search for the KP box I was happily reunited with another kit that had gone AWOL. Great build so far and keep it up. Is this going to be an Israeli one as well or a Czech version?
Ego no habeo consilium.

Return to “Augsburg Eagles GB”