Daz's Pegasus.... **FINISHED**

Commemorating Willi Messerschmitt's finest, the '109, any variant in any nation's colours, just so long as they are '109s! GB Moderator: Chris; runs July 1st to 31st, 2014.
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Daz's Pegasus.... **FINISHED**

Post by DazDaMan »

As I was champing at the bit to get another Buchon on the go, I found one of these on evilBay:

(pics from Modeling Madness)

I seem to recall building it before, and it was a bit of a pig. Naturally, I went and bought it! :???:

The kit arrived this morning, but I've not had a chance to check it out yet. The photos above give you the general idea, but I can see from mine that two of the prop blades have broken off - God knows what the rest of it is like!

I'm pretty certain also that there are no decals with it. Well, as I have no Spanish AF markings, and a bunch of Luftwaffe decals in the spares, it's gonna have to be a pseudo-Luftwaffe kite!

Just looking at the little bag of parts is making my bum twitch (and not in a good way), but I shall press on regardless. Hey, I've got another couple of weeks before the Group Build finishes, right?? :roll:
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Daz's Pegasus....

Post by jssel »

Ooooooh. That looks like a stinker to me. But once the parts are cleaned up it could be....................no.........I can't be. :ha: Well, good luck to you.

Is it me or is there a airscrew blade missing in action?
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Here's my previous version - I'm 99% positive it's the same kit.

I built another Buchon with its wheels down (see the previous models thread) and that was a much nicer kit than this!
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

jssel wrote:
Is it me or is there a airscrew blade missing in action?
I think that's what the online article says, yeah. Seems to be a theme for this model! :roll:

Maybe I should have stuck with my other idea? A Gustav with a nose-job!
Daren

K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I have one of these and briefly considered it for this month's build. But the only way I would consider doing it would be to bash the nose and maybe the wings onto some decent 109G kit.

Having only this available in our scale makes me envy the 1/48 guys who can slap together a Hobbycraft and have a pretty good model.

Best of luck if you tackle it.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I had one of the Hobbycraft/Academy Buchons - it was the subject of my first build, and it was such a nice kit to do.

Shame there's virtually nothing out there available for this aircraft in any scale - just conversion sets of one form or another. And the Pegasus Buchon.... :???:
Daren

K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

There were a couple of limited run and resin kits out years ago, including even the 2-seater that I really want to build, but they were always expensive, still a bit crude, and now hard to find. Surprising that this subject hasn't attracted a better effort from some producer.

August
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

This was a limited run job that I did - can't remember who produced it for the life of me!

MUCH better than the Pegasus effort...!
Daren

K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Classic Planes maybe? Anyway I don't think anybody has got the nose shape right in 1/72, although I haven't seen the resin conversion that you can get on ebay built up. Still, that one is a lot better.

August
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Classic Planes certainly rings a bell....
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Well, I bit the bullet a wee while ago and started chopping plastic....

Actually, the fuselage sprue wasn't so bad - a few cuts with the modeling knife and the two halves came off pretty easily. Same with the wings. Had to chop the underbelly radome off because, of course, I don't have any Spanish markings, and any restored Luftwaffe-painted examples have flown or been displayed sans bulges.

A few spare parts will be needed, though. And a sh*t-load of filler. Pics in a bit...
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

OK, so pics....

The parts.
Most of the stuff on the clear sprue is useless - the undercarriage are pretty dire and the wheels are like shirt buttons.

After a wee bit of surgery, I managed to get the fuselage halves off the sprue:

Gluing the fuselage:
From the cockpit wall, you can see how thick the plastic is! Luckily it's quite soft, so it's actually not that bad to work with.

The wings:
Again, quite soft, so they came off the sprue quite easily. Need to get shot of those cannon fairings, though!

Ta-da!

Wings and fuselage.

Buchon bits, plus a major raid on the spares box!
The sharp-eyed among you will notice one or two Spitfire bits in the mix - the prop assembly is from the Airfix Mk.IX, while the tailwheel is from a Mk.I. The rest of the bits, including the pilot, come from various '109 kits. The canopy (just out of shot) is the extra from the Airfix Bf109G-6 kit.

All in all, it's taken me a couple of hours to get it looking less like a lump of molten plastic and more like a Spanish Messerschmitt. I'll need to superglue those airframe parts together, though!
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I'm a little further forward with this one, inasmuch as I've fixed the tailplane on and fitted the tailwheel. Didn't take much, actually, just a liberal application of poly cement! Oh, and I've fitted a rudimentary cockpit seat (from a Spitfire!) and given the interior a coat of grey paint. I'll fire up a pic later.
Daren

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Yowza - talk about crude!! :shock: :shock:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Oh yeah...!

Anyway, photos!

Fuselage with tail bits attached:
Note the Matchbox Spitfire seat!

Wing bits attached:

The undersides:
The seam line has been filled in with some PVA and allowed to cure overnight. You can see the hole left by the removal of the radome - I filled it in with some paper (yes, paper!) and covered in PVA. A couple of layers of acrylic paint should cover all that surgery up!
Daren

Return to “Augsburg Eagles GB”