Splash's vacform CH-37 Mojave

Helicopters in military markings. GB leader - SirT; runs July 1st to 31st
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Splash's vacform CH-37 Mojave

Post by splash »

It's official I have gone mad, whilst rummaging in my stash I found an Airmodel 1/72 Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave vac form kit.

I have virtually no vac form experience having only used them for conversions in the past, so it's time to get right out of my comfort zone and take the plunge.

As you can see this is a real basic kit with the need to scratch build virtually every thing including the rotor head and blades :shock: I don't think I can build it within the month but if I don't try I will never know.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Splash's vacform CH-37 Mojave

Post by Stuart »

Cooooooolllll

Want one, want one, want one .....

REALLY looking forward to this one!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

Runaway, runaway!!!
This is bravery above and beyond the call of modelling, Splash! I had this kit and it is one of the few vacforms that I have unloaded as too much work. My plan was to strip a H-53 kit for parts, mainly the rotors but then the Special Hobby injection kit came out (which I have still to acquire someday). It is possible to build a great model from this kit (Google for Nicholas Poncini Mojave) but it is a lot of work. In your shoes and noting the duration of the GB, I'd be looking to build it gear up and rotor spinning to reduce the amount of scratch built detail necessary.

Those who are about to watch, salute you...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

SJPONeill wrote:Runaway, runaway!!!
This is bravery above and beyond the call of modelling, Splash! I had this kit and it is one of the few vacforms that I have unloaded as too much work. My plan was to strip a H-53 kit for parts, mainly the rotors but then the Special Hobby injection kit came out (which I have still to acquire someday). It is possible to build a great model from this kit (Google for Nicholas Poncini Mojave) but it is a lot of work. In your shoes and noting the duration of the GB, I'd be looking to build it gear up and rotor spinning to reduce the amount of scratch built detail necessary.

Those who are about to watch, salute you...
Looking at the kit I totally understand what you mean, it's a mammoth task but there is a method in my madness, in my stash I have two Dynavector 1/48 scale vac forms and I want to practice before I attempt one of them.

Wheels up in flight might be a good option :lol:

I don't think I'm cheating by cutting out the basic shapes three hours ahead of the GB officially starting, but when you see that parts next to the same scale Seaking it does show you how big a beast this was.

Regards Splash
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Nope - you are officially banned :-) oh, actually I just reset my watch to Hong Kong time and it does appear you are ok - woohoo you are unbanned. I think that's an acceptable bit of work.

What a beast - and not a turbine engine in sight.

Cheers,

Stuart

SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Too late now but the Dynavector kits are so well-designed that they are actually quite good intro kits to vacforms...hope you have a good supply of fortitude in the beer fridge...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

SJPONeill wrote:Too late now but the Dynavector kits are so well-designed that they are actually quite good intro kits to vacforms...hope you have a good supply of fortitude in the beer fridge...
I know the Dynavector kits are good first time builds, it's just they look so good I don't want to mess them up hence the practice with this kit, it's more of a techniques practice.

Regards Splash
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

If they still let you have email in the asylum, PM me your email address and I can send you the research material I put together when I intended building my one...two files @ 1.13 and 10.6 MB...mainly pictures and notes off the net...I know that you are probably not planning oin adding a lot of extra detail but there is some good info on colours etc...

Aside from the cockpit, the other area that I was looking at detailing was adding a see-into effect around the engine grills...I did consider perhaps opening the cargo doors but then I took my meds and that vision went away...
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

SJPONeill wrote:If they still let you have email in the asylum, PM me your email address and I can send you the research material I put together when I intended building my one...two files @ 1.13 and 10.6 MB...mainly pictures and notes off the net...I know that you are probably not planning oin adding a lot of extra detail but there is some good info on colours etc...

Aside from the cockpit, the other area that I was looking at detailing was adding a see-into effect around the engine grills...I did consider perhaps opening the cargo doors but then I took my meds and that vision went away...
Simon it is people like you that make this forum such a pleasure to use.

Where else within 6 hours of having a mad idea about building the worlds largest piston driven helicopter could you get a kind sole like yourself who lives on the other side of the planet donate all their research.

I have just picked up my email and all I can say is thank you, thank you and once again thank you, the images and detailed drawings of the rotor head would have taken me months to find. The only problem now is originally it was going to be a quick and dirty build, because I didn't know the subject, now you have given me all the information I need I'm no longer think it will be an OOB.

Thanks again.

Regards Splash
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Ah the positive power of the internet. It is indeed pretty cool how we are able to help each other out.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

1/2 hour with my scrapper and sanding block has got me to this stage, the body has had the surplus removed, next stage will be to try and remove all the side windows, I'm not sure how to do this as the plastic is quite thick, I will try using a saw first if that does not work revert to the good old drill holes and join the dots method.

Regards Splash
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Is that a special scraper tool in the holder, if so can we (I) have a closer look and ask where you got it from.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

JamesPerrin wrote:Is that a special scraper tool in the holder, if so can we (I) have a closer look and ask where you got it from.
Hi James

I think the tool is for taking burrs off holes I picked it up from my local hobby shop, it has three sided that all make good scrapping edges.

The blade is about twice the length that's showing and is double ended so can be turned around.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

James if you google Triangle Scraper Deburring Tool you should find suppliers.

Regards Splash
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Thanks Splash, it looks jolly handy!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Military Helicopters GB”