Sign-up and Chat

A World War One GB - any subject, any scale, 1914-1918 - this is not a 1914-specific GB.
Runs 6 weeks, July 28th to September 8th, to allow plenty of time for biplanes, rigging, and holidays.
Your GBL is Chris, assisted by jRatz.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Quite good for our first Great War GB - variety of aircraft; tanks were well represented; 3 different countries; armor obviously trumps rigging.

For our next one, we'll need to get some ships, some guns, and more rigging :-D
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I could be tempted to have a bash at the Airfix HP 0/400 John, although I think aircraft of this period are too crude to really interest me the sheer size of this aeroplane pushed the technology to it's limits for the time and it does hold some appeal for that very reason. I am also thinking of the guns carried by the Mark One Gun Carrier to accompany that vehicle.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

That would be the 6in howitzer IIRC - you should move up to 1/35, you can get the whole shebang in resin :grin:
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

That is one John, the other was the 60 pounder field Gun. Only the Howitzer could be fired from the vehicle, the Field gun had to be removed for action.
Both the guns and the Gun Carrier will be to 1/72 scale to go with the rest of the set. Now do I build two howitzers (one in the Carrier and one outside) and should I also build two Carriers (one for the gun and one as a Supply Tank) :?:

David.
David.

TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TobyC »

I've certainly enjoyed this GB. 3/4 finished so my biggest attempt to date. Look forward to the next one. Next August maybe ;-)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I think we should think about next year for this but not as late as August, in the light of what I have just posted how about "The Bomber" and "Artillery" as subjects for the next builds.

David.
David.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

lancfan wrote:Both the guns and the Gun Carrier will be to 1/72 scale to go with the rest of the set. Now do I build two howitzers (one in the Carrier and one outside) and should I also build two Carriers (one for the gun and one as a Supply Tank) :?:
David.
If you put the 1/35 ones in the very back of the display case, they'll look about right :lol:

Of course, more is better ....

We do not need to stick with August, and I'd rather get away from any "commemorative dates" and just find a good window to run an extended length, say 6-8 weeks, WW1 GB that makes it easier for folks to join at their convenience and still allow plenty of time for anything in the period, to include civilian ....
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by VickersVandal »

It wouldn't AT ALL be too ambitious to tackle one of the Roden Gotha G.V in the stash next year now, would it..... :mrgreen:

This was a great GB. I'm just annoyed with work for swallowing up my life in the last six weeks and limiting my involvement in it. Still, I'm stoked not to have had a DNF with everything going on.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

For artillery I'm thinking of lining them all up in two rows- British/American on one side and German on the other each side facing the other, it depends on getting the kits/plans to do this otherwise I will re-think things.

David.
David.

Return to “The Guns of August”