Dazzled's Whippet...Whip'd it!!

A World War One GB - any subject, any scale, 1914-1918 - this is not a 1914-specific GB.
Runs 6 weeks, July 28th to September 8th, to allow plenty of time for biplanes, rigging, and holidays.
Your GBL is Chris, assisted by jRatz.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazzled's Whippet...Whip'd it!!

Post by Dazzled »

As usual, life is conspiring to keep me from model-making. Work, studies, ongoing home improvements, injuries and my GPs curious attitude to lactose-intolerance (the idiot keeps prescribing me pain medication that contains lactose. When I feel better I'm going to shove them.......). Anyhow, enough moaning.... :roll:

I have a few kits in the stash that I'm not going to have time to build, even in the 6 weeks allotted for this GB but this is one I bought last year in Telford with the intention of including it in any WW1 GB we had. I'm sure quite a few of you are familiar with the Emhar WW1 kits. They've been around for quite a while now. I built the Mk.IV a few years ago and, despite what it's detractors say, I think it's quite a nice kit that looks the part and goes together quite easily. I hope the Whippet has the same characteristics.

Here are a few introductory pictures.

Three main sprues with some rather thick mould gates but the parts are flash-free and very sharply moulded. Given the age of the moulds I can only surmise that Emhar haven't used them much.

I'm in 2 minds about what markings to use. The kit includes the amusingly titled machine "Fanny Adams" on the decal sheet but my inspiration to want to build a model of the Whippet came about after reading of the exploits of "Musical Box", a Whippet that got separated from an attack and then spent several hours alone driving around behind German lines causing chaos, scattering resting soldiers and even destroying an artillery battery. Much of this done with the crew wading ankle deep in petrol! I have done some research and the markings shouldn't be too difficult to recreate.

Let's see how much time I can spare.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
TobyC

Re: Dazzled's Whippet

Post by TobyC »

From Bovington tank museum

Hope they may be of some help :mrgreen:
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thank you Toby. They will, indeed, be useful. 8-)

You're an officer and a gentleman :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Musical box is rather famous in armor circles, a foretaste of what armor would become.
Honcho of ASMMF
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, when alone, hunted down and killed by infantry ...

Your Whippet has lots more parts than mine, race you :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

You guys should be playing Devo, 'whip it good'.
Honcho of ASMMF
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

This build has made me do some background reading on Whippets. What a fascinating vehicle. I must get to see one some time.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Some more of the Whippet.
John's comment on his thread about Caesar II reminded that I had some more pictures.

Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Interesting detail, particularly around the turn-down at the rear. I don't think the Emhar kit has it quite right.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

My kit appears to have a piece of photo-etch to bend to make that "turn-down" but doesn't show it very well, so this picture will help.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Mine seems to have a plate with a gap underneath the turndown. The shots that Toby so kindly posted show this as a solid box. I may need to resort to the plasticard.

As for actual modelling, I have been doing a bit of work on the Whippet. Largely perched on the coffee table in front of the TV. Since I surprised Mrs Dazzled with a holiday for her birthday I can do no wrong :-D

Actually, and probably because I've not been at the bench ,I've been a bit remiss about taking pictures so, to rectify this somewhat, here are a few of the progress so far.

The fit wasn't perfect. In fact quite a bit of fettling was required to get the basic shape right. I don't remember the Mk.IV being like this but, then again, it's not such a complex shape.

Most of the panels required some tweaking to get them to fit but the diagonal vertical panel between the drivers slit and the forward MG plate was a bit of a pig to say the least. Much cyano glue was required!

The back of the tank also needed a touch of Mr. Surfacer.

The fit of the superstructure wasn't so bad on this side.

The track suspension components are quite straightforward although there are quite a few parts.

There are 20 of the little wheels, all with 4 wide sprue gates to clean off :roll: plus some reshaping to do on the toothed drive sprocket as they are, thoughtfully, attached to the sprue via the toothed edge.

My last bit of work so far has been to try to fill some of the gaps in and around the superstructure.

Mr Surfacer thinned with isopropyl alcohol(ipa) seems to do the trick without destroying the detail. Any excess will be cleaned of using a cotton bud soaked in ipa.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get some more done soon. A window of opportunity, modelling wise, appears to have opened up 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Glad it's you not me trying to sand back filler in those corners without losing detail :shock: :ha:

Good progress. So many builds in this GB making great headway :grin:
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

VickersVandal wrote:Glad it's you not me trying to sand back filler in those corners without losing detail :shock: :ha:

Good progress. So many builds in this GB making great headway :grin:
Using the ipa to gradually dissolve the Mr Surfacer should (I hope) negate the need for sanding.

Fingers crossed ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Dazzled wrote: Using the ipa to gradually dissolve the Mr Surfacer should (I hope) negate the need for sanding.
No wonder I don't like drinking an IPA ... :)
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Yes, are you using this one by any chance?

http://www.brewdog.com/product/punk-ipa;

Easily the worst I've ever tasted. Caustic enough to dissolve filler.....or granite.....
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

Return to “The Guns of August”