Fighting the Beau

FROG model kits, any and all, to include re-pops.
Runs 1st to 30th September.
Your GB Leader is Molly-new
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Fighting the Beau

Post by lancfan »

Terrific build Martin, I like the foil wing root fairings, good idea.

David
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Thank you, all.

I scribed in the flap outline on the underside of the wing root last night and gave a scoosh of Halford's white primer over the top. I can conclusively report that the 6 sq cm of the aircraft that have not been rescribed, covered in filler or are part of a wing root fairing look really good. The rest, however . . . .

More filling and sanding, I fear. :cry:

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Martin R wrote: More filling and sanding, I fear. :cry: . . . Not to mention the scribing. :cry: :cry:
. . . which I now think I've broken the back of. The beast is now on its knees at least and tomorrow I'm hoping to start painting the undersides. :-D

What type of gun did the observer have? I'll have to have a look around the spares box.

regards,

Martin
TomW

Post by TomW »

That is really looking the part now Martin, and worth every drop of blood, sweat and tears that have gone into it. My hazy memory is saying it was a Vickers 'K' gun in the observer position but I am very likely wrong.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

TomW wrote:That is really looking the part now Martin, and worth every drop of blood, sweat and tears that have gone into it. My hazy memory is saying it was a Vickers 'K' gun in the observer position but I am very likely wrong.

Regards

Tom
I wouldn't bet against you, Tom. I'll have to see if I have something suitable in the spares box. The kit gun is, unfortunately, like a length of drain pipe.

regards,

Martin
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Looking good Martin, brilliant work- I think you will be finished in no time at all now.

David.
David.

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Looks great!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Martin, coming along great, she certainly looks like a beefy beau in those piccies.
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Great job above basic kit!
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

A tour-de-force so far. It'll look Beau-tiful when finished :-D
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Coming along nicely.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Thank you all.

I did a bit more filling work tonight to try to equalise the shape / size of the oil cooler inlets. That's now drying. Of course, I managed to knock off the Flitzer nosegear tailwheel while so doing. It was always likely to happen. I have now drilled out the ends of the break and added some wire with superglue, so hopefully it'll be stronger in future.

Now, the big problem: I can't decide what colour scheme to paint it in! I had thought EDSG / DSG / Azure blue for the SAAF Mk X in the Med on the Xtradecal sheet (you know: the same one that Julian got his Balti decals from), but I've cooled on that for some reason. White undersides and EDSG top with high demarkation line? Sure, it'd look good, but why not wait until the inevitable Airfix new-tool Beau comes out for that eye-catching scheme. And it means I'd have to scratch build an ASV antenna for the nose and I've had enough of scratching for the moment (damn those fleas!). Brown / green with SEAC white bands? Meh. Coastal Command EDSG / Sky? Double meh and got one of those anyway. I'm out of inspiration. Maybe I should put up a poll?

regards,

Martin
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Martin, check this Wings Palette page out- http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/296;
These countries have also used the Beaufighter.
Australia, Dominican Republic, Israel, Canada, Italy, New Zealand, Portugal, USA, Turkey,
France, South Africa.

David.
David.

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

lancfan wrote:Martin, check this Wings Palette page out- http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/296;
These countries have also used the Beaufighter.
Australia, Dominican Republic, Israel, Canada, Italy, New Zealand, Portugal, USA, Turkey,
France, South Africa.

David.
Thanks, David.

I did have a look at Wings Palette. I was nearly swayed by 2oH, a Coastal TF.X, but decided in the end to go with the EDSG / DSG / Azure blue scheme as at least it should look a bit different.

Azure blue has been applied to the underside in a number of thin coats and is now finished. A partial coat of DSG has now been applied to the upper surfaces. I will wait until I've masked the demarcation tomorrow before doing a more complete coat.

I need to do a lot more detail painting as well: wheels, props, seat and make a control column. Hopefully some pics tomorrow.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Um, actually the underside should be the standard sky, not azure blue. Oh poo! Well, it's had 4 more coats of sky on the underside and the azure blue is now just a memory. Still, it's 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. At least most of the surface imperfections have now been wrestled into submission.

Oh yes, almost forgot. Wheels and pilot's seat now painted. I need to make up a control column as well.

regards,

Martin

Return to “FROG Models”