Miguelito's Phantom - NOT finished

Classic Jets are pre-1970, both the aircraft and the markings.
Runs 1st to 30th September.
Your GBL is Sir T.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Miguelito's Phantom

Post by mjatx »

Here is how it sits at the end of the weekend...

...all primed and ready for some more paint. I lost a little bit of detail around the engine intakes and on the wings, and there are also still a couple spots that need a bit of cleaning up. Nothing too major.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Cooolllll!!!

Very nice!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Great choice. A classic jet.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Nice work so far.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent work. IMHO the Phantom is such a cool looking aircraft although apparently there are heretics out there who describe it as being a little challenged in the looks department :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

For such a small kit, with a few fit issues, this has actually been a fun project. I got some dark earth onto the Phantom today...

...I mixed the paint 1 to 3, white to dark sand, then mixed that about 50/50 with thinner, but I still think the dark earth looks too dark. Maybe it's just the black primer screwing it up.

Thanks to all for the nice compliments.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

ShaunW wrote:Excellent work. IMHO the Phantom is such a cool looking aircraft although apparently there are heretics out there who describe it as being a little challenged in the looks department :ha:
Thanks. I tend to agree with the people about the Phantom being looks-challenged, the nose is too long, the horizontal stabilizers are anything but, the wings aren't right, and they tend to be really dirty-looking (particularly the Air Force ones working out of the jungles). However, when you see one loaded for bear with ordinance, or you read some of the dogfight stories about them, you have to admit, it's just a bad ass fighting machine....looks or not.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Back in the early 70's I was a Royal Naval Aircraft Mechanic and had the pleasure of working on F4K's on 767 Squadron, they were great a/c to work on but I'm sorry to say not the prettiest bird in the sky. :shock:

However yours is starting to look really sweet, they really did suit the colours you are doing it in, maybe it was just the RN's grey and white colours that took away its looks. :-D

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Can't believe it's only 144th scale. Looks bigger especially with what you've done to it.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

TobyC wrote:Can't believe it's only 144th scale. Looks bigger especially with what you've done to it b
Thanks!

Luckily, the Phantom is a rather large plane, so it's not as bad as it could be...I guess. Still ALL my work is being done through a magnifier, which is killing my eyes.

I've been working on nothing but 1/72 and 1/144 kits since probably February. This weekend, I picked up a 1/48 kit of the F-22 and I couldn't believe the SIZE of the thing when I started looking at the fuselage and cockpit. It is absolutely HUGE!
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

splash wrote:Back in the early 70's I was a Royal Naval Aircraft Mechanic and had the pleasure of working on F4K's on 767 Squadron, they were great a/c to work on but I'm sorry to say not the prettiest bird in the sky. :shock:

However yours is starting to look really sweet, they really did suit the colours you are doing it in, maybe it was just the RN's grey and white colours that took away its looks. :-D

Regards Splash
Very cool! I don't know, I think the RN blue/grey made it look more...er...regal? I actually like the RN Phantoms, especially compared to the U.S. Marines/Navy camo/light ghost grey colors...snooze. I appreciate the compliments.

Still, I'm sure there are more than a few sayings regarding which color scheme makes an ugly plane look better...lipstick on a pig...a turd by any other name would still stink...etc.

Also, you may want to check your spell check...it let you spell "colors" incorrectly twice!

:-D :-D :-D
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

She's looking good with more paint on. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, to me there's just something phantastic about those mean, angular lines - it just looks like it means business.

Yes, old chap, we here in the motherland regularly have to fight the spell checker, the little squiggle always appears under words like aluminium, colour, cheque etc etc. Dashed foreign influence if you ask me. Anybody seen the Empire? I have a feeling we've gorn and lorst it - this sort of thing wouldn't have happened then, dear boy. :ha: :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Your phidly little phantom is coming on a treat. "Ugly looking"? Tsk Tsk, never, it is a thing of beauty.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

The diminutive Phantom certainly looks the part.

Nice work :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Classic Jets”