Miguelito's Schwalbe - FINISHED

Classic Jets are pre-1970, both the aircraft and the markings.
Runs 1st to 30th September.
Your GBL is Sir T.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Miguelito's Schwalbe - FINISHED

Post by mjatx »

While I'm on the road, I figured I'd throw another small kit into my bag and spend a little time putting it together, and while I'm at it I might as well add it to the GB. Not sure I'll get the time to finish it by the end of the month, but why not give it a shot.

Here's the kit. Another 1/144 kit (the last 1/144 kit in the stash). It's the Revell of Germany Me-262a...

...the sprue is pretty simple and I'm planning on putting this on the stand with gear up...

...like other Revell of Germany kits I've done, the detail is nice, but there is a considerable amount of flash.
Clashcityrocker

Re: Miguelito's Schwalbe

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Ve haff vays of making it difficult. :evil:

Nigel
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Well done that's what I call a real classic jet.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very nice - should go together quickly!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Based on an old Revell issue I presume? I always felt that Revell did the best job of getting the shapes right in their 1960s-70s 1/144 issues of small subjects.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Now that is a proper classic jet - operational jets don't get any earlier than one of those save for arguably the Mk I Meteor, but that's all.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Ve haff vays of making it difficult. :evil:

Nigel
Yawohl! These Revell Micro Wings kits are actually pretty tough to get together. Lots of gaps and they need a surprising amount of filler.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

K5083 wrote:Based on an old Revell issue I presume? I always felt that Revell did the best job of getting the shapes right in their 1960s-70s 1/144 issues of small subjects.

August
Pretty sure it's a reboxing of the original kit from the 70's. The details are good, but the fit is pretty bad.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

A classic jets GB definitely needs one of the original classics. This one is going together straight out of the box, which means no cockpit...although, when I get home to a proper work bench, I'll probably add something to the cockpit so it's not an empty hole. Here's the fuselage...

...if you count flash, I guess the cockpit isn't actually empty.

Here is how far I got on the plane after a couple hours of fiddling around with it...

...the engine to wing and wing to fuselage fit are just dry-fitted and not actually attached. You can see the gap between the back of the wing and the fuselage through the cockpit. Even in 1/144 scale, it's very significant. The gear doors don't fit properly, so I'll plan on using some plastic card to fix those when I get back to the house.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

After an hour, or so, on my make shift work bench, I made a little more progress on the Me-262. First up, the engines...

...and they were a mess. Here's a picture AFTER spending some time cleaning up the gaps and unaligned parts...

...and they're still kind of a mess. Anyway, most of the issues with the kit now need to be fixed at the house with some better tools...

...all in all, it'd be a good kit for a blitz build. For now, it'll get packed up and put away for the trip home to be worked on under the magnifier.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very Smart!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I agree, that looks like a little gem.

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

After returning home, I was able to spend a little more time at the actual work bench and move this little jet closer to completion. First up, since I was planning on showing this one gears up and on the stand, I needed to put the landing gear in an up and retracted position. Unfortunately, the landing gear would fit straight off the sprue, so some surgery was required...

...the one on the left, is the post-op version that barely fit into the wheel well, the one on the right is the "before" version. As you can see, although the instructions show the option of gears up or down, the model was clearly intended to be done gear down. Once that was worked out, I was able to get a coating of RLM 76 on the underside, and some black primer on top...

...the result showed a few areas that needed to be addressed, but nothing too terrible. The canopy at this point was only taking a test sit. Last night, I was able to get the paint on the model...

...and apply a coat of Future in preparation of applying the decals. Still a few areas that need to be addressed and you can see that the white glue I used to attach the canopy is still wet, but hopefully, the few areas to address and decals can be completed tonight and in time for the deadline.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one, keep at her. The '262 has a wonderful shark-like appearance.

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Re: Miguelito's Schwalbe - FINISHED

Post by mjatx »

The Me-262 is complete...but Photobucket is acting up, photos to follow when I get it to work for me...a decent little kit, but not one I'd recommend. To really do it just, it just needs too much work and I'm sure there are better 1/144 scale kits out there. Still for a few bucks, you get a pretty fair representation of the real plane...and the decals (Cartograph) are really great.

Return to “Classic Jets”