Launcester Lance, interpreted .... ** Finished **

Need you even ask ?
Runs 1st to 30th September.
Your GBL is VickersVandal, assisted by lancfan.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Launcester Lance, interpreted .... ** Finished **

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This from "Biggles goes to War" which I hasve not read, but do have on order.

Here is the cover of the original 1938 Oxford edition - looks like a Gauntlet to me, or at least radial engine ...

But the Lance in the rather stirring frontispiece in the same book looks more like a Fury ...

Which is how VV interpreted it in his build on UAMF.

So, I'll do something with a Gauntlet, a Bullet, and a Fury ....but I might wait a while until I get a look though the book. On the cover, I do see the aircraft appears to be single-bay with N-struts, which is different than the Gauntlet, more like a Bullet or Fury.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Launcester Lance, interpreted ....

Post by VickersVandal »

I could tell you what it says about it in the story, but that would be ruining the fun for you.

Happy reading!
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Not a bad story actually - Happy reading!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by VickersVandal »

Looking at that picture and then at my build, what was I thinking with that shade of green??? :shock: :roll: :???:

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I reckon you're spot on with the Gauntlet.....disregarding the illustrations (which, as David has pointed out elsewhere, often completely fail to match up to the book).
This is one build I will be following with great interest.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

VickersVandal wrote:This is one build I will be following with great interest.
Oh, good, nothing like putting on some pressure :)

Anyway, I have shipping notice on the book, so should be here in a couple days.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

My book is still in the mail. Haven't done anything, but have pretty well convinced myself it will be a modified Gauntlet, uncowled, single-bay, N-struts and I'll probably need to shorten or replace the Gauntlet wing when I take out that small 1/2-bay close to the fuselage.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

YAY !!!

1947 edition, different cover but same frontispiece. No matter, I will start reading forthwith ....

YAY !!!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, I skim-read just for the aeroplanes, I'll go back and reread for content later.

Not much on the Lance, and disappointing there wasn't one final dogfight .....
-- on p50, Biggles pulls back the handle of the sync gear (charging?) on double guns, so I think they are mounted on top of fuselage or maybe partly in, not on the side as per the Gauntlet ....
-- later they go on patrol up to 20K feet, how without oxygen ?
-- I get no sense, in the fighters, of wind, etc, so I do not know if they have a canopy
-- great point is made of the Lovitzian pilots having chutes, but they are not mentioned for Biggles & the gang ?
Nothing else, no sense of engine, prop, etc.

So I still think a Gauntlet bash is in order and I will get serious about it tomorrow ....
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hi John,

Sounds like you're on the right track. I don't know if you picked it up in the 'GB Chat' forum thread for this GB, but I'd originally had a similer idea to what you're doing now, and I was also thinking about a Gaunlet/Gladiator. I've pasted in the text below from my post in the other thread - I hope it helps.

''That's an interesting question, I've only just got the point where they've arrived in Maltovia.
So far I've surmised that it’s probably an open cockpit Biplane that can do 300mph in a dive. They were Ex-RAF. It has two guns syncromeshed through the prop and as hinted at in the text, they have no radios. They also have a self starter. I’m also thinking that this book would be based in the early to mid 30’s. Could a bulldog do 300mph in a dive? That’s why I was thinking Gladiator/Gauntlet etc. I suppose I could be really far out and do a Siskin!

As I have a new tool Gladiator in the stash, I could remove the closed cockpit and rear deck. And leave off the wing guns. I’m also not sure if I should go for the Silver finish, or a camo scheme more akin to those used in Eastern Europe, or even an ex-RAF scheme. I’ve also no idea how to do the roundals – I’ll guess I’ll have to mask and paint.''

Cheers

Stuart

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Stuart, I probably did miss that post; I have also considered a hacked Gladiator. Great minds think alike I guess :)

Thank you for spotting they had no radio - it just didn't sink in when I read it - and that is also another indicator they may not have had a canopy as it seems arms do a lot of waving and pointing not particularly possible inside one.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

No worries John - I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

In regards to the markings, one idea I had was instead of roundals I was thinking of putting lines on the wingtips like the Norwegian Gladiators.

Cheers

Stuart

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, here's the base victim kit, an AZ Model Gauntlet.

Good points, Stuart. The book only mentions colors, not shapes, making the cover of the original release and frontispiece the only reference - which I probably ought to follow.

On the ferry flight down, the aircraft were unpainted and unmarked - and that is how they fought their first combat. One would have to assume the same state of affairs the next day when they went to force down the bomber, because there certainly was not enough time for Smyth & carter to repaint all 3 a/c, mark them, given the cold weather and all else that went on that evening. And the Lances are not featured, even mentioned, the rest of the book.

So, one option is for me to portray a silver machine, unmarked. The other option is to portray the MAF after the end of the book when presumably all machines were painted and marked. Regardless, again the book illustrations do not reflect the text - not meaning to nit-pick or anything, it's just a choice I will have to make. For example given that mismatch then adopting the striped markings you suggest might well be in order.

I shall have to think about it.

Back to the model, I am going to make the Gauntlet single-span and have cut 2 rib sections out of each side on the lower wing. I think I might just cut one section out of each side of the upper wing and make it slightly unequal span, like the aircraft on the frontispiece.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I have cut both wings apart, reducing the span of the lower wing by two sections and the upper by one to give me a slight unequal span look and the new N-struts will angle slightly.

I have also sanded off the gun blisters on the fuselage side, started to fill the gun troughs on the sides, and started opening troughs on the deck. To do this I sanded off the oil cooler. Yeah, I know that most British a/c of that era had the side gun arrangement, but I'm playing off at least two references to "the double guns" ....

Tomorrow, I'll try to get the wings put back together and cleaned up. I did drill some short holes for pins to help hold the pieces together.

So, something has happened and despite a rather busy week coming up, I'll try to keep the momentum ....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Back again, I'm loosing days ... to much going on.

Here we have both wings shortened as described before - looks like they need another short of filler in the seam, then clean-up at the join.
The side gun troughs in the fuselage are filled and new ones on top.

I am ready to start painting the interior pieces so I can put it together. I think a silver interior, to match the ex-RAF origin of it. Then I have to think about the exterior - do I do it "in transit", probably silver with no markings, or do I do it "after the book" whilst in service ? Tough call here.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Looking good John - I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.

Return to “Biggles does a Group Build”