Biggles Gets His Spurs On. **Finished**

Need you even ask ?
Runs 1st to 30th September.
Your GBL is VickersVandal, assisted by lancfan.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Biggles Gets His Spurs On. **Finished**

Post by AndrewR »

Well, it's been a pretty lousy week at work, and I felt the need to hack some plastic.

So, the Spur, secret prototype fighter. Twin engined, two seater.
The only candidate in the stash was the Airfix Westland Whirlwind fighter. Obviously it needs a second seat, and needs to look a bit different to the regular Whirlwind.

I've enlarged the cockpit area somewhat and built up the front. The rear seat came from the Lindberg Kingfisher, suitably trimmed and dressed up with plastic rod. The rear instrument panel is actually the rear cockpit deck from the Whirlwind. I think I will paint it black, as it would have been a late war example.

The engines will get an air intake and bump on top of the nacelles - the Super Peregrine engine is much more demanding than the original.
These are actually modified ASW torpedoes from the Matchbox Lynx :grin:

Finally, I will move the high tail back down to a more conventional position just for that big difference in look. The fairing on the tail is now an electronic warfare pod - rear approach warning, Mandrel jammer etc.

The Spur is mentioned as being grey.
I'm going to make it two tone grey, just for a bit of interest. Civil markings of course.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Biggles Gets His Spurs On.

Post by DavidWomby »

Sounds fascinating, Andrew. I'll watch this with interest.

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Sorry to read about your woes at work, Andrew - it cannot be easy working for such an institution. We Brits in a foreign land are always misunderstood.... Any chance you could take your skills elsewhere - high schools or community college? Might not be as satisfying, but might be better paid and you might be treated better.

Anyways, back to the Fun Side of the Island - the Spur sounds interesting. How are you going to modify the canopy, now that you have a second seat to cover?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote:Sorry to read about your woes at work, Andrew - it cannot be easy working for such an institution. We Brits in a foreign land are always misunderstood.... Any chance you could take your skills elsewhere - high schools or community college? Might not be as satisfying, but might be better paid and you might be treated better.

Anyways, back to the Fun Side of the Island - the Spur sounds interesting. How are you going to modify the canopy, now that you have a second seat to cover?
PM en route

I'm going to use two Spitfire canopies, back to back :mrgreen:

I'm really trying to use up odds and ends lying around on the bench.I want a pair of drop tanks too. Still rummaging for them.

cheers

Andrew
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Painful to read, Andrew, I don't know what to say.

It does look like you have a nifty plan for the Spur.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Just had a read of your situation Andrew. Chin up and best of luck to you mate.

Nigel
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

jRatz wrote:Painful to read, Andrew, I don't know what to say.

It does look like you have a nifty plan for the Spur.
http://andrewrobinson.roon.io/the-eveni ... ght-before;

I did manage to get a coat of dark grey primer on the interior last night. The plastic is extremely greasy, so I need to scrub the exterior with a toothbrush before painting.

And clamping the intake on the nacelle
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Mate, your work situation sounds like a shocker. Unfortunately that sort of thing is happening everywhere (Aus included) because economic rationalism increasingly dominates everything. It feels like the whole world is being taken over by miserly bean counters.
This is part of the reason I left the uni and now teach Phys in high school. School teachers aren't necessarily valued that much more (certainly not financially) but at least we don't have to jump through hoop after tedious administrative hoop every year to remain employed.

Anyway, on the topic of your build - this is fantastic! I love your interpretation of the Spur. Can't wait to see the final product.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I agree with all that's bee nsaid Andrew - Very sorry to hear about your work problems, it sounds awful. Anything work related that reduces you to tears and stops you loving what you do could be considered time for a change. I hope you get things sorted out. It does anny me though as good teachers are hard enough to find as it is, without the system ruining them as well.

And I've had similer issues (though not as bad) with my son - all you can do is laugh at it, and keep a handy supply of wipes :shock:

On to the subject of the build - Brillant concept! and it looks like its coming together nicely.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

VickersVandal wrote:Mate, your work situation sounds like a shocker. Unfortunaty that is happening everywhere (Aus included) because economic rationalism increasingly dominates everything. It feels like the whole world is being taken over by miserly bean counters.
This is part of the reason I left the uni and now teach Phys in high school. School teachers aren't necessarily valued that much more (certainly not financially) but at least we don't have to jump through hoop after tedious administrative hoop every year to remain employed.

Anyway, on the topic of your build - this is fantastic! I love your interpretation of the Spur. Can't wait to see the final product.
Thanks VV - unfortunately the idiots in Ontario deregulated the teacher training programmes about 10 years ago, with the result that Ontario now produces 3 times as many teachers as are needed.

Hence joke
Q: What do you say to an Ontario teacher?
A: I'll have fries with that.

So I'd have to spend two years retraining to qualify, and then there wouldn't be any job... :roll:
Been talking to some people in same position in Oz, and if the government deregulates tuition fees, Oz will go right down the pan and join us in *trouble*

Anyhow, I hope to get something done on Spur and Camel either tonight, or tomorrow morning.
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes!

Feel for you Andrew, don't let the buggers stomp over your rights, give them hell!

Looking forward to see how the Spur comes together, a good whiffer is always fun.

Cheers
Jim
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Jagewa wrote:They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes!

Feel for you Andrew, don't let the buggers stomp over your rights, give them hell!

Looking forward to see how the Spur comes together, a good whiffer is always fun.

Cheers
Jim
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi :mrgreen:
iggie

Post by iggie »

My sympathies on the work situation; this seems to be a trend all over.
For several years I tutored as an external tutor for the UK Construction Industry Training Board along with two colleagues, and we were awarded courses to teach on the basis of feedback scores received from previous delegates. I and my two colleagues were (if I say it myself) damn good tutors, because we know the industry inside out, and consequently busy with this work nearly all year round.
Now, we have to tender for each and every course, or even a day covering for one of the full time tutors, and guess who gets the work now? The cheapest. No credit is given for experience, or quality, just be the cheapest. I'm lucky in that tutoring is not my only income, but as more and more educational roles are covered in this manner, I really fear for the quality of education some kids and adults receive. They now have 25 year old 'tutors' teaching for less than £100 per day, including travel costs and course materials.
I hope for you that the University authorities wake up and realise the damage they are doing, and value their raw material (You) more highly.

Loving the Spur by the way!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I finally get back to the bench and put the Spur together:

and spray a bit of primer around the joints to see what needs fixing:

Wing and tail joints mostly and a couple of rough bits on the nacelles. The fuselage joints are pretty good.

I drilled out the cannon ports, so I think I'll make the cannons recessed instead of protruding.

cheers

Andrew
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

I'm likin it :grin:
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

Return to “Biggles does a Group Build”