1/72 F11C-2 conv to BFC-2 ** Finished **

Celebrating Monograms kits, whether in original form or not.
Runs October 4th to November 2nd. Your GBL is Sir T.
K5083
Active Participant

Re: 1/72 F11C-2 conv to BFC-2

Post by K5083 »

Seems like the sides of the turtle deck should be concave in cross-section, not straight. That is indeed disappointing, since it's the main reason to buy the conversion sets. If you have a round-section file you could put some concavity into it. It's also clear that the seam on the lower edge of the turtle deck goes down to the longeron below the horizontal stabilizer, so it might take some sheet plastic to extend the bottom edge down to where it should be. Not a huge advantage over scratch building at that point!

Interesting detail on the tail hook area in your last photo.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Good observations, August. I have slathered in some filler to make a flat filet from the deck to the longeron and I'll probably just clean that up as best I can.

The tail hook comes molded on the kit, I sliced it off neatly and will try to mimic the real thing, sorta .... My real emphasis is to scratch the 500-lb bomb release as no BFC-2 kit (this or the CA 48th scale) comes with it.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Wow, over a week got away from me. I had a number of meetings and projects which I finished up by Monday (20th) night and rewarded myself for my diligence by having a decayed wisdom tooth pulled yesterday. Top all that with the weather going from fall-wonderful to a nor'wester today and I had to get SWMBO off to Seattle to do grandmother things.

I did manage to put a coat of paint on, then used that to determine sanding and filling. I think I have the rear deck fixed up now, the next coat of paint will tell.

And I flipped it over and got started on the bomb release mechanism. I got a nice 500lb bomb from CMK and am now making the rack, sway bars, and release. I didn't do as good a job taking pix at the museum and what you see is the 2nd attempt today, but I think I have it and can move on tomorrow.

Today was the first time I really put any thought into the bomb release and I think tomorrow will go well.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TobyC »

Nice work. I'm using Starfighter detailing on my Boeing as well.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Nice save on the rear deck, it does look good.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

It does look good - nice work John!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

But wait, there's more ....

I have the bomb rack and anti-sway bars on, and the whole thing painted yet again.

The rest of the bomb release will be constructed and added on towards the very end. Anyone have some 1/72 scale bungee cord ?

And I spent the rest of the day painting other bits - top of wing, cowl, tail, various details ... The only problem I will have (I hope) is matching the green cowl to the wing & fuselage stripe decals ....

I think tomorrow starts with decaling, or more likely a gloss coat before decaling .... then, assuming success & progress, I can move on to final assembly ...

I'd do better if my (missing) tooth & jaw didn't still bother me ....
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

That's going to be lovely.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Racing right along, I put a coat of Tamiya's new (TS-79 or something like that) rattle-can semi-gloss on and like it quite a bit; I've always liked semi-gloss for 'tween wars. Then I put the decals on.

The wing stripes weren't quite right, just a tad short, bit I fit them as best I could as per instructions. Then once well dried, I looked at my pictures of the aircraft and saw they should have formed an "open V" at the front which would have solved the problem. Oh well. The fuselage stripe isn't quite long enough to wrap around, or I got the head rest wrong. I put it on a bit back from where it should be but that still left gap underneath which I filled with remnants from the wing stripes, but there wasn't enough. If I had put the stripes on right (as per photo not kit) I would have had enough. Last the kit markings are mostly for white-tail aircraft (post 1935 or 36) so there were very few white markings for the tail - but fortunately enough for me to cobble together the correct 9332 serial (BuNo for purists) and enough for me to make the 2-B-13.

Anyway, it is all drying away tonight, and tomorrow perhaps another semi-gloss to protect the decals - they are blending perfectly so I could skip this step, I'll decide in the morning. Then it's on to the struts, erecting the upper wing, and the rigging and other bits (like the rest of the bomb rack !) ....

The cowling, with semi-gloss, looks pretty close but I might try to mix a slightly brighter green ....
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Thats looking supurb john and I like the work you've done on the bomb rack!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

That's looking smart!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Very nice, John. :)
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

No pix, sorry.

Wing & struts are on. Wheels, tailhook, bomb, sight and windscreen are on. Glues are curing.

Still to do:
-- rigging, all photoetch; the problem may be a slight inequality between left & right wings - I will need to be careful.
-- rest of bomb release; I have parts cut but haven't figured out the bungee yet.
-- figure out how to patch the under fuselage stripe and maybe fix cowl color also.
-- add engine, prop, and cowl ring.
-- not screw up.

On 2nd thought, maybe rigging should be (next to) last, so it doesn't get dislodged doing the rest of it.
Titan

Post by Titan »

These little colourful biplanes certainly do look attractive John and yours is no exception, wonderful work.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark
Why is he so confused ?

Here's pix.

The bomb rack isn't going as well as I wanted, some alignment issues. I have wanted to do this project for a long time, but in 1/48 using an old Classic Airframes kit. I should have gone and found my notes rather than just winging it. I may just forget trying to rig the bungees and call the bomb release good enough.

Plenty of time .....

Return to “Monogram Kit GB”