August's 1964 1/2 Mustang

Celebrating Monograms kits, whether in original form or not.
Runs October 4th to November 2nd. Your GBL is Sir T.
K5083
Active Participant

August's 1964 1/2 Mustang

Post by K5083 »

This is just stupid, since I'm already committed to two GB builds this month and haven't built a car in 30 years. But, Tim's T-bird was just too good of an idea not to imitate. So this afternoon I went to the local hobby shop determined to pick out a Monogram car to build. Pickings were slim but I came back with this.

It's a pretty nice kit, although I'm not much of a judge of car kits. Decals include black and white rally stripes, white sidewalls for the tires, and most of the needed badging and logos. I'm going to try to detail this one fully, although I've never wired or plumbed a car engine before. Luckily, there is hardly a better documented car around, so interweb research is easy.

No idea whether I'll finish, but wish me luck!

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
TimJ
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: August's 1964 1/2 Mustang

Post by TimJ »

Nice to see another car kit making an appearance. Looking forward to it.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Me too - I love mustangs!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

NICE, this was the first car I owned except that mine had the 200 6cyl motor rather then the 289 V8,

If you have any questions about the car feel free to let me know. I lived and breathed these cars for a very long time. I've owned each of the tree models offered in the 64-66 series.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:NICE, this was the first car I owned except that mine had the 200 6cyl motor rather then the 289 V8,

If you have any questions about the car feel free to let me know. I lived and breathed these cars for a very long time. I've owned each of the tree models offered in the 64-66 series.
You're lucky, I'd love a 'Stang, altrhough I've alway been keener on the hard tops.

K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

This model has been severely lagging my other group builds this month. Since I don't do cars, I am being very deliberate about this one, not doing things as efficiently as if I knew the routine. I have the engine about as wired and plumbed as I can get it without connecting it to other parts of the car.

Besides this, I've chosen a color scheme, which will be Wimbledon White (a pale ivory) with a red interior. Paints are purchased and I would have shot initial coats this weekend but couldn't get any airbrush time. I've also decided to do a regular road-going example, not a showpiece, so the engine compartment will be dirtied up a bit and the body finish will not be super gloss.

August
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Nice work on the engine.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I had one of those miserably educational airbrushing sessions this weekend where you learn that a paint is either incompatible with all of your thinners or just not good for airbrushing. I have had decent results with MSP Reaper figure painting colors before, but their linen color turned to great globs of goo, with the result that nothing got painted and the evening was spent clearing epic clogs in two brushes. I finally got it on the model by pushing it through my trusty old Paasche H3 at 40 psi, which will spray almost anything, but the results were poor enough that I decided to rub down and treat it as a primer coat. Pity, because I liked the color. I had better results with the interior red, chosen from the Citadel line. Here are some of the larger pieces fitted together for a check of the color combination. Looks good to me, but now I have to find something else for the main exterior coats.

I don't get a lot of time to put into modeling, so I should have the sense not to experiment, but just to stick with tried and true paint-thinner combinations from the major manufacturers.

August
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Sorry to hear of your painting woes August - the red looks good though!

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Yes, that looks very good. :)
Up in the Great White North
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That red looks ... RED.

Nigel
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Yes, "Rangoon Red" was not exactly a muted color.

August
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Although my Mustang really has no prayer of being done before the deadline for this GB, it continues to creep along. I redid the body paint over the past week, using a can of Krylon household spray paint that was a good match for the color I picked out initially. I set up the body in the garage and shot a light coat on it twice a day for the week, ending up with a finish that wouldn't impress a regular car modeler but is good enough for me.

I spent some time detailing the interior. Generally the stock interior was fine, except Monogram represented the window cranks just by a vague raised image on the surface, so I made cranks out of wire. the color really is not hot pink; my phone camera just wants it to be.

Also did the wheels. The white-wall decals were tricky, but they still beat trying to paint them.

Throughout this build I've been surprised by the vague fit, especially for a relatively recent-tool kit. On an aircraft kit I would never expect to have to guess how so many parts fit together.

August
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

That's looking Great - it'll be really nice when done!

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looking good. Great work with the tyres.

Nigel

Return to “Monogram Kit GB”