Sign-up and Chat

For all those rivets in loose formation. Runs November 2nd to December 15th.
Your GBL is Lancfan.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sign-up and Chat

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This is a single-type GB of the Avro Shackleton - any kit, any scale, any variant, any markings.

This GB started from a thread here.

The GB runs from November 2nd to December 15th, on the assumption you will each need time to count all your rivets; your GBL is Lancfan who will provide any other information.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by iggie »

I suppose I'd better dig mine out of the stash then! just need to finish a Swordfish first.....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

This could be a good time to but stocks in sanding sticks as there will be a world shortage after this GB :-D

Good luck guys I will enjoy watching your builds as I have often thought about building the Frog kit but never got around to buying it.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'm warming up the Dremel with a sanding drum already!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Any suggestions as to which Acrylic paint is best to use for the later Shackleton Marks Blue/Grey finish?
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I think I'll have a go at starting this one just as an excuse to fondle my CMR 1/14 AEW3 :grin: .. nothing much will happen until after SMW though.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ejsnotgrass
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ejsnotgrass »

That will be some size of a model in 1/14 James,where you going to put it? :grin: :grin: :ha:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ejsnotgrass wrote:That will be some size of a model in 1/14 James,where you going to put it? :grin: :grin: :ha:
The M6 :ha:
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm not going to join the GB but I did get my kit down off the shelf and after studying it a minute, took the fuselage halves outside and used them to file some rough edges off some lumber :-D
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

That's nothing, John. There's been a bump in our street for years - not any longer..... :ha:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Real life has really got in the way this week and I have not finished my French Sea Venom, I have had bench time but have not posted anything for it yet, will wind that up this weekend and get the crane out to lift those Frog Shackleton fuselage sides out of the box on Sunday or Monday. Blue steel, the Dark Grey is meant to be Extra Dark Sea Grey so that should mean Humbrol 123, I always use H106 for that as I think H123 is too dark for smaller models in this scale, perhaps a 50/50 mix of those two would be better for this model over your preferred grey primer paint.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

jRatz wrote:I'm not going to join the GB but I did get my kit down off the shelf and after studying it a minute, took the fuselage halves outside and used them to file some rough edges off some lumber :-D

You must be up to your ankles in sawdust John :lol: :lol: :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

lancfan wrote:Real life has really got in the way this week and I have not finished my French Sea Venom, I have had bench time but have not posted anything for it yet, will wind that up this weekend and get the crane out to lift those Frog Shackleton fuselage sides out of the box on Sunday or Monday. Blue steel, the Dark Grey is meant to be Extra Dark Sea Grey so that should mean Humbrol 123, I always use H106 for that as I think H123 is too dark for smaller models in this scale, perhaps a 50/50 mix of those two would be better for this model over your preferred grey primer paint.

David.
Experimenting with upper surface colours and you are right David, H123 is too dark, but H106 seems a little light. But neither has the real blusish tint that seems to intensify the more faded and weathered the airframe gets. So I tried Vallejo Field Blue which is a grey/blue and that seems about right, upper elevator H123, lower Vallejo Field Blue:

Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

I have the AMT kit with some horrible decals. I would have preferred to build the South African version but The decals from Lancfan (taa mutchley) Only have RAF markings. Also Some of the propeller blades are broken/short shot. So I will build a flying pose.
Photos shortly.

Dai
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I'm sorry but I could resist posting this. :mrgreen:

Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto

Return to “Avro Shackleton GB”