James' Downsized Shack

For all those rivets in loose formation. Runs November 2nd to December 15th.
Your GBL is Lancfan.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

James' Downsized Shack

Post by JamesPerrin »

Czech Master Resin 1/144 Avro Shackleton MR2/AEW2

Nice kit with two options for the MR2 variant and one for the AEW2 which I intend to build.

Always been a fan of CMR kits and have quite few in the stash from when the price/level of detail was at a sweet spot. This kit is bit different in that it also has metal details. I don't have much luck with the quality of the mouldings though, in this kit there has been a mould slip and the nacelles are misaligned.

A job that put me off starting the kit and will need tackling before from the off.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: James' Downsized Shack

Post by Old_Tonto »

Nice to see an MR2 being made.

I didn't even know CMR made one. 8-)
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Made a start last night by cleaning up some of the pars and giving them a wash in my sonic cleaner. The cockpit insert has a large pouring block moulded to the floor but some fettling showed that only the edges needed trimming to get it to fit. A slight downward bend in one of the wings was sorted out with some hot water.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've cut the engines from their chunky pour blocks and done some work to improve the fit of the fuselage, including slapping some matt black on the cockpit parts.

Tonight I started surgery on the dodgy nacelle. I cut out the section with the vents that needed moving forwards and then inserted card of the the correct thickness. The horizontal card is just to replace the resin removed my the saw. Everything was then superglued back together.

Of note is that due to the high incidence of the wing the front of the nacelles should appears to slope backwards from top to bottom so that the engine are aligned to the direction of flight. The instructions seem to imply that the engines are moulded hollow and will fit of the stubs on the nacelles. This is patently not true and mean some careful sawing and sanding to get the engines to faces forwards squarely.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

A bit of a surgical procedure going on here James. I hope the rest of the kit gives you less grief.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Given the cost of these kits I am amazed that the faulty wing parts were sent out James, glad to see you're winning.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I bought it when the kit first came out which was back when the prices were reasonable. I should have got a replacement set at the time. I did find a MR1 for £20 at SMW which was tempting but I think this will do me as it's always been my favourite.

I am ticking along cleaning up parts and filling flaws, but nothing picture worthy yet.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product after all your fettling.....good luck!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

More fettling. The recesses for the wings are too small. The problem is that the edges are rounded, squaring them off allows to wing root to slot in. I was able to use my brand new 2mm micro chisel which I bought at SMW, it was just the job.

Top before, bottom after chiselling. I filled the fuselage with blue-tac for support while it was worked on.

The recesses for the tailplane have the same issue. :roll:
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

How is your model doing James? are you winning?

David.
David.

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I think it's 2:1 up at the moment. Being working on it steadily if only for short periods.

Firstly I need to add the 2 vent doors to the side of each engine. This to represent what I presume is the radiator outlets. Visible here in the first image fully open below the exhaust stacks. http://www.avroshackleton.com/Shackleton_Gallery.htm;, they also appear closed on some museum machines.

I added the doors flush however, they were all too long for the recesses and the recesses were completely filled by them. I therefore had to trim each one and to bevel to the rear of the recess to represent the vent slot. Ruddy fiddly, like sanding you own nail clippings.

I then match the engines to the nacelles for the best fit but found that in the port wing they had a severe nose down attitude when the wing was presented the the fuselage. So off they came and the nacelles were re-sanded. Fit not great so CA and filler applied.

I decided to add the tailplane to the fuselage halves as I could use a set square to get the level. Note, the leading edge has a slight sweep and so the hinge line was used to make them perpendicular to the fuselage.

The cockpit was given the most basic treatment and installed in one fuselage half, along with some tabs to help alignment.

The halves were then glued starting from the nose an inch at time, alternating top and bottom using CA on a needle, this allowed me to constantly check alignment can get the mating surfaces flush. Unfortunately as you can see the whole rear of the fuselage twists around. I think one fuselage half is bent up and the other down. I'm going to have to try and straighten the whole thing in some hot water. The tailplanes might have to come off but the do act as a good gauge as to how much reverse twist needs applying. Is seams ain't a popping I will be pleasantly surprised.

Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Twisting the night away there James.

Good luck with that. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

This all sounds like the moulds were not left alone on a level surface as the resin dried or perhaps the parts were removed too early and they were deformed in the process but whatever the reason this kit has serious problems and you should be applauded for persevering with it.

David.
David.

iggie

Post by iggie »

That doesn't look an easy fix! Well done for persevering :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

You would have thought CMR knew their stuff when it comes to casting resin. Luckily it's been fixed a few minutes in hot water and then straighten out and then in cold to fix the position. The bottom seam has popped along the rear but is easily fixed.

Return to “Avro Shackleton GB”