August's mini Mystery Ship - DNF!

Welcome to UAMF's first ever Paper Model GB - Origami are us.
Runs November 12th to December 24th. Your GBL is SJPONeill.
K5083
Active Participant

August's mini Mystery Ship - DNF!

Post by K5083 »

I'll be building the Fiddlers Green Travel Air Mystery Ship, scaled down to 1/72.

This is part of a project to build several models unavailable as 1/72 plastic kits from paper model plans, starting with working out whether the best medium is a straight paper build, transferring the paper plans to sheet styrene, or some combination. For the GB build I'll stick with paper, but may use other materials for rigging, struts and details.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: August's mini Mystery Ship

Post by SJPONeill »

Nice...looking for kits I couldn't find or afford in plastic was one the reasons I found myself drawn more and more into paper modelling although I am not way a paper zealot and think that the best results are often gained with a multimedia approach...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Yes, AFFORD definitely is another issue. This kit is made in 1/72 resin by Dekno, along with several other delightful 1930s racers and civil types, but at 25 euros apiece I won't be collecting them any time soon. I've built quite a few paper models for their own sake, but I have collected most of them as patterns for scratch building in styrene. Even then, though, it is useful to prototype in card, just to see whether the built-up thing will look like it is supposed to. That is really what I'm doing here. But I'll be delighted if the paper version doesn't look too pathetic to sit on the shelf with my plastic builds.

August
Titan

Post by Titan »

With what you may have planned for this it should be a looker when finished.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Post by K5083 »

Started by spraying the back of the paper silver. The idea being that the visible interior parts will be natural metal or silver-doped fabric.

Pre-curling some pieces. My experience is that paper models build best when the parts are curled/folded/bent to the point where they almost hold the proper shape without glue. Here are the engine and cowling being curled inside some o-rings.

It's useful to have some different sizes of o-rings.

Cowling not quite curled enough yet.

Cowling and a few other parts. Fiddlers Green kits don't supply bulkheads, a drawback for serious builders, who therefore make their own. The bulkhead for the cowl is a simple circle. I abandoned the supplied engine that I started building above, as it was just a puck-shaped cylinder with an engine design printed on it. Wanting something more 3D, I went through my hard disc for another model with a better engine I could adapt. I settled on the one from the Fiddlers Green Boeing 40 (a newer kit that I look forward to building) and here are the first four cylinders being built. My collection includes some 1/33 scale kits that have engines so detailed that they could be kits in themselves. Also shown is fuselage with preliminary curling. This will be a complex shape, important to take it slow. If I translate this build to styrene I probably will cut the fin off and do it as a separate part.

August
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

A drawback of paper modeling is that paper doesn't form compound curves readily. But it will form them to a limited degree. Some guys use radical techniques like wetting or even pulping and forming the paper, but that tends to mess up pre-printed coloring so is mainly useful if you're going to paint the model later. The one method that works well on pre-printed models is embossing.

I used a dried-up ball point pen on a soft surface (paper towel folded x4) to prep the Travel Air front cowling ring. basically I made a circular squiggle down the middle of the curved strip part. This simultaneously curled it lengthwise, so that when finished it formed almost a perfect ring, and imparted a little curvature across the width of the strip. Not enough to give a really scale appearance but better than just a flat cone.

Finished cowl with engine cylinders. The cylinders aren't very well made as so little of them will be seen. If this were a plastic build it would be easier to get a proper shaped cowling and I'd use either an aftermarket engine or scavenge from a kit (although 1/72 Wright J-6-9, a/k/a R-975, engines aren't easy to find in either form).

Meanwhile the fuselage comes together, or I should say the first fuselage. I printed and prepped two fuselages because it is such a difficult part that the odds of my first try being good enough are poor. That's the great thing about self-printed paper models; unlimited do-overs. I used the embossing technique to apply a bit of airfoil shape to the tail fin. The clamping tweezers are among my most useful paper modeling tools.

August
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Great stuff, I can see borrowing a few ideas !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

That's looking really good...love the silver lining!! That embossing is a great way of mitigating the angular appearance of paper parts for compound curves like cowlings. Over time you may find that you build up a collectiob of variously curved tools including the ballpoints used here, teaspoons (prefereably not from SWMBO's Jubilee silver set) and even dedicated tools like dapping sets - tools used to shape metal into compound surfaces.

to assist the curving process, you can wet a finger - surface moisture only, no drops - and run it along the inside of the surface to be curved. Enough to change the colour of the paper is probaby too much but this very mild application of moisture is enough to loosen the paper fibres so that they are more willing to conform to the shape that you want. once the part has been shaped, a light application of CA helpd lock it into that shape and provides additional strength.
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It's looking good cheers for all the useful tips

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Some great work going on here, and some good tips as well.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I like this. thanks for the tip but I think I need to see it in action to understand it better.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I built an engine out of paper, but didn't like it. So I decided to exercise the "details from other materials" clause and make a resin clone of a similar engine from a plastic kit.

It is now installed in the completed fuselage, along with a floor and seat.

I was going to add more detail to the cockpit but I've given up on this model as a truly accurate replica. It doesn't capture the complex shape of the Mystery Ship fuselage, and I doubt anything in paper can. Should still be a cute model though.

August

August
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice work on that engine, it looks brilliant.

Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Fantastic work
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

When Splash said the engine looked "brilliant", it's true - did you cast it from gold resin :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Paper Models GB”