Telford Show - 7th and 8th November - "Scale Model World"

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Telford Show - 7th and 8th November - "Scale Model World"

Post by IronMan129 »

We have been invited back to attend Scale Model World 2015!

If anyone has any suggestions for themes for the event please feel free and nearer the time they will be chosen.

For those of you that need the address it is as follows:
Telford International Centre
TF3 4JH

Opening hours on Saturday 7th are from 10:00am to 6:00pm and on Sunday 8th from 10:00am to 4:00pm.
Dazzled

Re: Telford Show - 7th and 8th November - "Scale Model World

Post by Dazzled »

There's an awful lot of potential themes to choose from within the scope of the Cold War.

Maybe:

A MAD display of nuclear bombers, missiles and submarines?

Something representing satellite countries/small wars where the major powers tested their weapons?

Pick a decade and have models to represent those years?

Adversaries; pairing up models rather like dogfight doubles?

These are just off the top of my head. I'll put my designer's head on and give it some more thought 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

What about a Cold War Timeline display? Have an illustrated timeline, from the first US atom bomb in 1945 to the Soviet Bloc break up in 1990 as a backdrop and place appropriate models in relevant locations in front of it.

Lots of scope for a variety of models and for swapping around later as new/diferent models become available.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I think displays/themes are fiendishly difficult to come up with, which is probably why I'm not a SIG Leader! Darryl's is a good idea and certainly the Cold War theme gives a large choice of subjects. At Huddersfield someone - I think it was Shane (Shangos 70) - suggested a scale Brandenburg Gate as a centrepiece - a good idea but I wouldn't fancy building one of those from scratch! Matchsticks anyone? :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Dazzled - Fantastic ideas mate!
I really like the idea of the timeline, instead of it being a background we could lay it down at the front of the table with the same idea of placing types along it.
Id love to have it as a background but our huge metal sign goes at the back.
I do need to get part of a glass unit so we can have more on display and it would make it look alot better than a standard flat table.
I have seen and had many ideas from other displays and I need to get to work on getting a much better and bigger display for us.

ShawnW - Yeah its not easy mate :).
I'm trying to get as many kits built aswell as coming up with themes, building and setting up a worthy display, getting new members and loads more stuff so its a little work out for syre but I do really enjoy it and I've met so many cool people :).

If anyone has any comments about anything to do with the Cold War SIG please let me know as Id love to hear sone feedback good or bad as I cant improve uf I dont get feedbck :).
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

How about a mounted diorama of Tu95's being "seen off" over the years chronologically by various type - Phantoms. Lightning, Tornado, Eurofighter etc. :ha:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi mav would a cold war senses display eyes and ears maybe touch(feel) generate enough items to fill the display table btw if anyone know of any aircraft that cover the other two senses post the answers
cheers craig
chrism

Post by chrism »

PlaneCrazy/Craig ... I hope I have interpreted this wrong... but the concept of words like "touch and feel" are not normally ones that are welcome on a table of models.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

beany wrote:How about a mounted diorama of Tu95's being "seen off" over the years chronologically by various type - Phantoms. Lightning, Tornado, Eurofighter etc. :ha:
Haha good idea :).
One thing I am going to try for is a "Cold War II display as we are back in the Cold War now with having Nukes flown at us on TU-95's only a few weeks ago.
planecrazyman61 wrote:hi mav would a cold war senses display eyes and ears maybe touch(feel) generate enough items to fill the display table btw if anyone know of any aircraft that cover the other two senses post the answers
cheers craig
Hiya craig! :).
Do you mean what we were talking about at Huddersfield?
Asin Recon and others?
Also will you and Shane be at Hinckley?
I think I'm gonna be the only one displaying there.
chrism wrote:PlaneCrazy/Craig ... I hope I have interpreted this wrong... but the concept of words like "touch and feel" are not normally ones that are welcome on a table of models.
Hah dont worry Chris out many "DO NOT TOUCH" signs will keep fingers away from our gems :).
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

beany wrote:How about a mounted diorama of Tu95's being "seen off" over the years chronologically by various type - Phantoms. Lightning, Tornado, Eurofighter etc. :ha:
I'm about to start building one. I have the Revell 1/144 Bear D and am waiting for a 1/144 EE Lightning to be delivered from a fellow modeller in Canada. That'll cover the '70s.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Maverick231 wrote:
Haha good idea :).
One thing I am going to try for is a "Cold War II display as we are back in the Cold War now with having Nukes flown at us on TU-95's only a few weeks ago.
Eurofighter Typhoon falls outside the 1945-1991 Cold War time-frame that was originally agreed with the IPMS(UK) EC, when the SIG was first formed back in late 2008.

Since then, things have changed on the world stage and we do appear to be at the start of a New Cold War or Cold War 2 or Second Cold War or Cold War 2.0 or Cold War Redux or even Colder War or whatever you wish to call it.

In order for you to do any display featuring anything Post-1991, you will need to have a word with the IPMS(UK) president, Paul Regan and put forward your proposal.

It took an awful lot of convincing when we first got the SIG off the ground in the first place as the scope was seen to be far too large, hence we had to stick to the limit on the dates, so be prepared to be told no.

This is why you cannot include African Bush Wars, Arab/Israeli conflicts, Gulf War, Iran/Iraq war or the Falklands War as part of theme displays.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks for clearing that up Chris I really appreciate your help mate :).
With regards to the prospect of adding "Cold War 2" to our SIG I may just not bother with it as I don't want to annoy anyone or indeed the IPMS so I think we should just leave it and use what subjects we already have.

Everyone's suggestions are really interesting!
I will collect all the suggestions and create a poll to vote on to decide the themes.

Also what does everyone think of having an "Anything" section on all displays that we have?
I know at the moment the whole display has been anything due to me being new as SIG Leader and just getting on my feet.
This works really well at my local model club and I was thinking of implementing it on our show displays depending on everyone's opinions.
RyanW655
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by RyanW655 »

I've been trying to do that last year but I could not find a 1/144 Phantom, although there is 1/72 Tu-95 and 1/72 Phantom in my LMS. :D
I'am more confused than a chameleon in a bag of Skittles.

My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYtLeF ... nKiwwg71Bw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

From a personal point of view, my knowledge of the Cold War is quite limited and my interest is personal and basically local. I have an interest in Harrington, Chelveston, Polebrook and Wittering locally and Lightnings & V-bombers from my childhood visits to airshows such as RAF Gaydon. Therefore a themed display may be outside my field :sad:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Ratch my plan is to have a number of themes at each show as so we can welcome as many members as possible.
At each show there will be a couple of set themes but we will have an "anything" theme so that 1 we can have a variety of models on show and 2 the table shouldnt be empty.

Return to “Displays and Shows”