Cold War SIG goes International?

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Cold War SIG goes International?

Post by Dazzled »

As I explained on another thread in the chat section I've been on another jaunt to Belgium. This time though I was able to attend the one-day Belgian Scale Modellers' Convention in the small town of Putte, midway between Brussels and Antwerp. It's not a huge show but it is well organised, spread over two small convention halls, one with model displays, demonstrations (one by Jay Laverty) and a cafeteria and the other full to bursting with traders who, in my eyes at least (no doubt assisted by a very favourable exchange rate 8-) ) were offering many items at knockdown prices. Both halls together are probably smaller than one Telford hall. It was a great and quite different experience to UK shows as much of the emphasis was on the competition tables which were slap bang in the centre of the main hall. Check this out for a sample of what was on display: http://smspicblog.blogspot.co.uk/

While I was there I got to thinking that perhaps it wouldn't be impossible for our SIG to go international. With this in mind I had a very pleasant chat with Frederick, the BSMCs show organiser, about availability for next years event. Always eager to have more modelling groups displaying, perhaps as an alternative to having quite so much "live" display building, he was extremely interested in having a UK based SIG come over and put on a display at the show. He offered to help with finding cheap lodgings nearby, if required, and would be happy to give us as much table space as we wanted so we could use the general display format and put everything out.

So, how about it? Who's up for an international model show weekend break just before Christmas 2016?

It's not an unduly hard thing to do. We could arrange a meet at a convenient location or meet up at the venue. I'd be happy to lead the convoy if required (just call me Rubber Duck :lol: ) The show is held on a Sunday so a weekend could include a Saturday at a Belgian Christmas market. Putte itself is a bit out of the way but Antwerp isn't far up the road (it would be my first choice for accommodation too. It's a beautiful city) and this has the added advantage of a fantastic Christmas market for those so inclined or, of course, as a way to sell the idea to spouses or SOs, maintaining harmony in the process ;-)

As well as all this it'd be a great boost to the SIGs profile. If anyone is interested in going I have full contact details so this is one show display that can definitely be made to happen.

Darryl
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Re: Cold War SIG goes International?

Post by Dazzled »

No takers for this one?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Wasn't paying attention due to real life sorry, should be up for it. But not a def at the moment til real life things improve
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Good Idea Daz although I probably won't be able to make 99% of the International shows

Return to “Displays and Shows”