Let's Talk About Shows

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Let's Talk About Shows

Post by Dazzled »

One of my aims a s SIG leader is to raise the profile of the Cold War SIG and to do this we need to attend shows. And to attend shows we need to have SIG members turning up with models to display. At the moment things are still a little up in the air but I think we need to discuss what shows we can attend and who's willing to commit. I've had a look around and I've got a few initial suggestions.

Feb 20th, Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm Museum. I doubt I can attend this one myself due to work commitments :cry: but it's a great show with a lot of cold War exhibits. Can anybody attend this one for the SIG? I'll try to get the day off myself.

Feb 21st, Huddersfield. Not a chance I can attend this one but we do have a number of members not too far away. Does anybody want to try for a makeshift stand. It worked for us at the Midlands show in June 8-)

March 13th, Hinckley, East Midlands Model Club. This would be a great show to get ourselves noticed and it's slap bang in the middle of the country with good transport links. A bit of a trek for me but I'm willing to do this. It would also be a good opportunity for us to have a get together and perhaps spread some display equipment around.

April 3rd, Cosford. Guess what, I'm rota'd in to work this day too but I shouldn't have too much trouble getting that day off. What I actually need is a new job :roll: . Anyhow, this is a brilliant show in another setting stuffed full of Cold war exhibits.

May 8th, Gloucester. Often gets a mention in the modelling press and quite accessible for a number of us.

Just some food for thought to be going on with. If enough people are interested in any of these in particular I'll contact the organisers and get us booked in. And if anybody has any shows they'd like to attend please add to the thread.

Darryl 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Kitaholic

Re: Let's Talk About Shows

Post by Kitaholic »

Cosford is a definite yes

Hinckley and Gloucester are most likely yes

Huddersfield is a probable

Yeovilton is most likely a no but will see what I can do as I love that place
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

I will see about booking the SIG into Huddersfield, especially as it is my local clubs show and I know the guys organizing it.

But be warned, it may well be fully booked by now.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Huddersfield - I am going but will be there in my capacity as the CBK SIG Leader - if a CW table is booked and there is someone to man it I will of course be willing to bring along some suitable models.

Hinckley - could well be a possibility.

Cosford - alas we will be on holiday so I can't make it. I went this year and it is a great place to have a model show 8-)

Yeovilton - seems to be the day before Huddersfield so no chance there. Probably a fair old way from here in any event.

Gloucester - again this might be a little too far - I'll check my road atlas!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

This year I attended a number of shows - both with my local club and also with different sigs etc. Quite a substantial cost in terms of petrol and mileage:

Yeovilton - Feb - 140 miles day trip
Poole - April - 70 mile day trip
Milton Keynes - 250 mile day trip
Salisbury - May - 65 mile day trip
Farnborough - Sept - 130 mile day trip
Abingdon - Oct - 130 mile day trip
Yeovilton - Oct - 140 mile day trip
Telford - Nov 385 mile weekend trip

For 2016 I plan to do most of these again, and am likely to leave out the October Yeovilton and Abingdon shows. I need to check out the location and route, which I think is an interesting cross country one ... for Gloucester but it could be a consideration, subject to date, and my sailing plans which are still being finalised.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Falcon wrote:I will see about booking the SIG into Huddersfield, especially as it is my local clubs show and I know the guys organizing it.

But be warned, it may well be fully booked by now.

Thanks Chris. I appreciate you making the enquiry. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

chrism wrote:This year I attended a number of shows - both with my local club and also with different sigs etc. Quite a substantial cost in terms of petrol and mileage:

Yeovilton - Feb - 140 miles day trip
Poole - April - 70 mile day trip
Milton Keynes - 250 mile day trip
Salisbury - May - 65 mile day trip
Farnborough - Sept - 130 mile day trip
Abingdon - Oct - 130 mile day trip
Yeovilton - Oct - 140 mile day trip
Telford - Nov 385 mile weekend trip

For 2016 I plan to do most of these again, and am likely to leave out the October Yeovilton and Abingdon shows. I need to check out the location and route, which I think is an interesting cross country one ... for Gloucester but it could be a consideration, subject to date, and my sailing plans which are still being finalised.
Thanks for the list Chris. I have looked at a couple of these but there are some I didn't pick up on before. I'll do some more investigating.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Any more comments?

The sooner I can get some firm commitments the better.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've put out some feelers to the Hinckley and Cosford shows.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

going to huddersfield can help if we get a table
hinckley is possible
cosford probable but not certain
driffield should be there barring holidays
going to newark/southwell
trying to attend both sat/sun at telford

cheers craig
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Well, the good news is that Cosford will be a goer http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=12918

I haven't had a reply from the Hinckley show yet but I have sent a polite reminder.

Now I have a couple of days off I'll put out some more enquiries.

Darryl 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I'll definitly be at Cisford and Telford, if I'm off for the others I'll also be there.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

A couple more shows I'm looking at are:-

Coventry and Warwickshire at the Midland Air Museum on June 26th. Chris and I attended last year and it was a nice show. small but in a perfect setting.

North Somerset at the Helicopter Museum near Western-super-mare on July 3rd. Something for our more Southerly orientated members to be able to attend.

Is anybody able/willing to come to these and display some models? Also, does anybody fancy the Gloucester show on May 8th? I'd like to make some bookings asap :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

chrism

Post by chrism »

I am in a state of turmoil with real life and it could exist for a few week yet, so I can't commit to anything other than coming home each day with a cardboard box (empty) ... Gloucester ... I cd be up for itif things go favourably by mid april. Weston however is a 2 day cross country camel ride away (probably nearer a week if I did go by camel or stagecoach)
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

pencil me in for Gloucester, will confirm when I have booked it off, also Coventry is a definite maybe
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it

Return to “Displays and Shows”