MarkyM607's Bicentennial F-4 and bright 747 **Part DNF**

Aircraft in colorful, bright & cheery schemes.
Runs December 1st to 31st; GBL: jRatz.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: MarkyM607's Bicentennial F-4 and bright 747

Post by MarkyM607 »

Not much progress this week (or in the last week!), I have been proper poorly with this bug that 'is going around'. Won't bore you with the phlegmy details but no work on these two at all. Did put the nose and nose 'attachments' on the F-4, as well as making a start on the undercarriage. The white 'touch-up's' on the 747 meant the paint that was meant to go there needed two or three goes to cover said white so that meant I ended up scraping it all off and repainting. Looks much better and neater now!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Although I may not get this done by the end (my first poss DNF so trying to avoid), have got some work done today. The Phantom has only red/white decals stripes for the tops of the wings and the rear spine of the aircraft, unless some decals are missing. Therefore I am painting them on the underside. You also have to paint the nose white and the red area behind it..
The 747 is now painted both sides, I tried the paint mask idea but need two long 40mm wide tape bits to try and get the left side traced. In the end I did the nose area and the purple on the spine/upper deck and free handed it from there. Quite impressed if I do say so myself!!.
Just the tail 'AP' letters and the 'male' symbol they go inside and the engines to do. It's seen in flight in the film so it will be here. Just need a stand!. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi, I have painted the AP symbol freehand which came out well. Just got to do one for the other side of the tail!!. The Phantom has it's red stripes started underneath but pics later. So far so good for the finish date!!.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Both looking good!
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm waiting to see that 747 out in the light - it's starting to look like a character from a Marvel Comic !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

AAAARRRRGGGHH!!. That's better, thank you. The decals on the F-4 decided to be saint and sinner. The wing red/white stripe ones went on beautifully and separated from the backing sheet in about 2 seconds. The fuselage one did the second part but tore, then tore some more when I tried to maneuver it. Then the two 'Bicentennial' ones decided they didn't want to be one decal they wanted to be twelve!!. Managed to get one back together okay but now the other says 'Bicentenni'.
Nearly gave up on it, but with a first DNF looming after eleven successful GB's I will press on with what's left. Only the wheels and canopy to put on construction wise...
However the 747 has it's wings and tails on, and the engines are together. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Right, that's it!, Did Not Finish on the Phantom. Or more precisely, seeing as the decals are temperamental to say the least I'm not going to finish it (Both due to time and the fact I now don't want to!!). I might be able to get replacement decals but not before the deadline and not at this time of year!!. :evil: :cry:
The 747 has had another redo on the side and rear paint, I had froze the film when the plane appears and drew the lines on the model in pencil but memory faults(!) and not looking since have meant a slight deviation from the actual scheme. Re-doing it today.

P.S. The '76' marking on the tail has stars around it which all went their own way in water so unless they are meant to be separate, which seems odd, they're no good either. Also the red I thought matched the decals doesn't....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: MarkyM607's Bicentennial F-4 and bright 747 **Part DNF**

Sorry about that, I had been looking forward to seeing both.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

It's not completely given up on, I have seen the same markings in decal company adverts so will see about replacements to finish later. Not sure if they are in 1/72 but will look and hopefully post the Phantom later... :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi, good and bad news re: decals. I have found the exact set I need from CAM Decals, however they probably won't get here by tomorrow!!. They are on their way so will hopefully get this done January time... :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

The 747 is grasping for the finish line. Paintwork done apart from the wheel bay doors which I've just glued on about twenty minutes ago. Some quick painting and she can sneak in inside the deadline, even though she's my add-on build!!. :grin: Pics tomorrow hopefully.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Well the Phantom may have fallen by the wayside for now but the 747 is finished!!. I have to say that if this was a build from an unstarted kit I probably wouldn't have finished in four weeks, the paint scheme took some time to get right and to get neat!!. Better from a short distance (small brushes and a tight-ish pattern mean paint spread is harder!), I'm still pleased with the result. Pics now!!.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Seriously funky! :)
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I had a lot of mornings like that in my younger days not sure I could call them cheery :grin:

That's a great masking job on the fuselage, I just didn't pick up on the symmetry from above before - very good job.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks chaps, really pleased with the 747 actually!. Although a good magician never reveals his secrets I didn't actually mask anything but the green on the nose, everything else was freehand painted and worked out by eye!!. :grin:

Return to “Bright & Cheery Aircraft GB”